simplicity05

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
Hello,
I've been working on trying to restore sound on my friend's laptop that I'm currently using. I checked the device manager, and there were no apparent issues. I've checked all simple explinations for the problem and there's no obvious issue (sound is not muted or lowered, no external audio buttons hit). I've even tried to reinstall her audio drivers, which then provoked an exclamation mark under the secondary HD audio mark on the device management screen. I know she's using Vista 64, there's an AMD Turion x2 sticker on the laptop.

I tried checking the microsoft catalog and was able to download an AMD 64 build driver, but it comes via .cab and I honestly don't know how to use that file. Trying to "update driver" and pointing it towards that folder does nothing.

I've checked the services under administration tools, and Windows Audio and the other Win Audio listing are both set to Running/Automatic. Tried to even restart the services.

Only things I've been unable to test are if it's just the speakers or if it's all audio as there are no handy external speakers or a headset of an sort, and I've also seen some reference to registary problems, but I'm not sure where to start looking within the registary.

What can I do to get her sound working again? I will try to list as much of her system specs below:

Gateway MD2641U
AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72 2.10GHz
3.00 GB Ram
Vista 64-Bit Operating System
Under "Sound, Video and Game Controllers"
Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221 - No Errors
High Definition Audio Device - Error - Code 19 Windows cannot start this hardware device because it's configuration information (in the registary) is incomplete or damaged.

Only other issue I see in the Device Manager is under Network Adapters:
Microsoft 6to4 Adapter - Code 31

Thanks a ton for your time guys and gals,
-Simplicity05

Gandalf

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
1. Registry issue - download/install/run http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
In the left column click on Registry and then click on the Scan button.
After you clean the registry, click on Cleaner in the left column, then click on the Analyze button.
Now you can clean the temp folders.

2. High Definition Audio issue - http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#High%20Definition%20Audio%20Codecs

3. Microsoft 6to4 Adapter - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932520/en-us

Let's see if any of these items get fixed now or not.

simplicity05

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
Frustrating.

I ran ccleaner and it identified quite a few problems, of which it took care of quite a few of them. The only ones it couldn't take care of were some missing DLL issues, but nothing appeared to affect anything to do with audio.

Then I downloaded the driver you listed under #2. I uninstalled the high def driver via device manager, then opened the driver .zip and ran the setup. It and vista both confirmed a successful installation. Rebooted the computer. Now the Conexant High Def SmartAudio 221 is showing an issue with it, displaying code 39 - missing or damaged driver.

It seems to be going back and forth - uninstall and install one driver, then the other gets messed up. I haven't even addressed the 6to4 yet as that seems like a minor side issue that's not affecting anything atm.

Any thoughts?

simplicity05

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
2614 not 41. Was a touch inebriated when I was typing that :lol:

I'm planning on deleting both of the current audio drivers, rebooting, and if nothing else has been created just installing the high def audio driver and seeing if that works.

Edit: Just deleted both drivers, and before I could even restart the computer vista reinstalled both drivers. Rebooted anyways and still no working audio.

Of course I'm not ruling out a hardware malfunction at this point as well... I think next step is I may check around in the bios and make sure there's no funny business in there.

simplicity05

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
I can get the image up in about 3 minutes.

I keep forgetting to bring earbuds for testing, and the owner of the computer has nothing in the house they could use.

Edit:
Here you go
------------------------------------------------------
devicemanager_01.jpg

------------------------------------------------------

Gandalf

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I see no device issues now.

FYI - As for the .cab file you mentioned earlier, with the Windows Explorer treat the file like folder. Double click on the file and it should open another window showing all the files inside the .cab. It's kind of like a .zip file.

In the Control Panel under Sound, what do you see?

simplicity05

Distinguished
May 22, 2010

Everying appears normal. Testing the devices, it looks like there should be sound coming out, but there's nothing. At this point I'm ready to just call it a hardware issue. I'm not sure what it could be at this point. Any other ideas you or anyone else can come up with I'm certainly open to, but I just don't know after all this.

Thanks a ton for all the help thus far, and any help offered in the future,
-Simplicity