Sign in with
Your question

Cooling an 8800GTS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 26, 2007 6:48:03 PM

Dear friends,

I had a quick question about the possibilities of cooling an 8800GTS GPU, which arrives tomorrow (hopefully?). Maybe I'm being too paranoid, or I'm a geek when it comes to cooling, but I definitely want to question the cooling capabilities of the stock fan, because I've read reviews saying it gets really hot, which is something I'm not going to put up with. (Right now my CPU idles at a temperatures of ~ 7-9*C, and the system is ~ 33-36*C, so you can see that cooling is serious business) And so, my question is, what's the best way to cool a graphics card like that? I was looking into PCI-slot cooling fans, so something like this or maybe this instead. Any suggestions or possible advice? Thanks in advance.

More about : cooling 8800gts

June 26, 2007 7:07:37 PM

what manufacturer is it? i have an 8800GTSOC2 640 mb from BFG. the temps on it are actually fine. i suggest makeing sure you have air flowing from the front of your case to the back, great airflow makes a huge difference!

if your real paranoid, make sure you have a fan blowing in from the side to your vid. that should help. just make sure your airflow is decent. if you dont have a good ratio of push pull fans and good ratio of air comming in, then ya it will get hot. remember this

believe none of what you hear, half of what you see. and if you want to believe what you hear then take it with a ton of salt ok?
June 26, 2007 7:27:18 PM

Haha, good advice at the end. As for the airflow, I have a Centurion 5 case, so it's really good. 80mm intake, 120mm exhaust. That exhaust coupled with the Zalman I have = literally COLD air coming out of the back. I'm buying the EVGA model of the 320mb interface.

I can't put room on the side of the case; the Zalman fan takes up way too much room. It's absolutely mammoth.

I have my case sitting literally right by the window, which is open, so the front intake fan can sucky-sucky all that fresh, cool air. There's also plenty of distance between the back of the case and the wall, so exhaust does not build up. Hell, even if it did, it's really cold, and it wouldn't make a difference.
Related resources
June 26, 2007 9:41:10 PM

Quote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

IM sure that would help plus NO noise.

I'd hit it, except: "For 8800 GTS card, a seperate HSI heatsink is required"

Is there an alternative that provides effective cooling? I sifted through the VGA coolers and found nothing that was effective. I don't want to use the stock fan, either, because the temperatures are unacceptable.
June 26, 2007 10:05:21 PM

Why is the cards temp unacceptable? Your CPU temp sounds unlikely to me. Unless you're planning of some crazy fast overclock the stock cooler is fine.

There are aftermarket cooler and liquid cooling solutions readily available. Search for it you'll find it.
June 26, 2007 10:45:00 PM

Quote:
Why is the cards temp unacceptable? Your CPU temp sounds unlikely to me. Unless you're planning of some crazy fast overclock the stock cooler is fine.

There are aftermarket cooler and liquid cooling solutions readily available. Search for it you'll find it.

The card temperature is unacceptable because I plan on overclocking it, and because I don't trust stock things. As for the CPU temp being unlikely, I couldn't believe it at first either. I went into the BIOS because I thought that temperature readings were somehow skewed, but they weren't. I still didn't believe it, so I opened up the case and examined the CPU fan. It shoots out cold air, and it's icy cold on touch, so yeah. I'm going to go ahead and trust it now.

I've looked for some aftermarket cooling solutions that are geared towards high-end graphics cards, such as the 8800GTS. Unfortunately, that seems to be the gap in the market. I looked on several manufacturer's websites, nothing is 8800GTS-friendly, and I haven't done my homework on liquid cooling yet, because I have no idea if it's safe, how it works, etc. Any help, though, would be much appreciated.
June 26, 2007 11:33:27 PM

The HR-03 comes with ramsinks.

It's an excellent cooler, especially when fitted with a fan, although it does take up a chunk of space. Plus no hot air will be exhausted by the model, but you say your airflow is coming out the back cold, so it should'nt really matter if you can afford it/have the space to accomodate it. Theres a pile of reviews around so just have a look.

All the experience I've had with slot air cooler/blower things has been bad. Crap cfm and a whole lotta noise. Although someone may have found a decent one? I haven't is all.
June 27, 2007 12:39:29 AM

egt the HR-03 that the above mentioned and get a sflex or noctua to put on it, it will be cool and quiet. no, im not paying royalties to amd either...
June 27, 2007 3:54:42 AM

Quote:
The HR-03 comes with ramsinks.

What are ramsinks?

I'm going to read up on this HR-03, so far it looks really good. Unfortunately, I need a separate HSI heatsink, because I'm getting the GTS, not the GTX. I don't mind a little extra noise, so I might as well get a 9Xmm fan. But, I do have one question here so far: Do I have to tear off the stock fan/cooling system to put this thing on?
a c 270 U Graphics card
June 27, 2007 5:12:25 AM

The slot cooler is effective. Don't worry about the 8800gts running hot, they are designed with that in mind. The 8800gts stock cooler is very effective because it exhausts most of the heat out the back. It is relatively quiet too. Mount the slot cooler below the vga card, and leave an open slot between them , if you can. There are four slits in the 8800gts that produce hot air; the purpose of the slot cooler is to get that air out of the case so it can't recirculate and heat up the cpu. I like the one with the fan speed control knob: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
---good luck---
a b U Graphics card
June 27, 2007 5:19:55 AM

EVGA allows for fan changes, so youre good to go. I agree with others here, the stock should be fine, your best bet is to get the card, run the hell outta it, and monitor the temps. Then if its not to your liking, purchase a better cooling solution
June 27, 2007 5:45:28 AM

Quote:
EVGA allows for fan changes, so youre good to go. I agree with others here, the stock should be fine, your best bet is to get the card, run the hell outta it, and monitor the temps. Then if its not to your liking, purchase a better cooling solution

I'll give the stock a try. I'm not going to do anything extreme, like the HR-03, but maybe a slot cooler would work just fine. My goal is to draw as much heat away as possible without defacing the card -- it's built that way for a reason. But I'll go ahead and see how the stock works out, thanks for your advice guys.
June 27, 2007 12:57:00 PM

I tried running a slot cooler under my 8800GTX and it only dropped the temp by 1c, for taking up 2 slots I didn't think it was worth it personally.
June 27, 2007 2:02:07 PM

from what i know there is a water cooling block out for it im a little tamp hore too but i run everything on air, you can try doing what iv dune and taking of the little plastic shield of the cooler and putting a 80mm fan that pumps a bit of air ( not a silent fan sorry thay dont pump) rite onto the heatsinks fins its a cold nite tonite but my temps are at 33c(GPU,CPU mem and the ambient) and the temp for my motherboards is at 25c it will go upto about 50 when i run games with my OC thats at 652/1008
a c 270 U Graphics card
June 27, 2007 3:37:38 PM

Were you referring to the vga temperature, or the cpu and case temperature? The vga temperature is not much affected, but in my case, the cpu and case temperatures dropped by perhaps 5c. I can definitely feel lots of hot air coming out of the slot cooler. It has to be doing some good.
!