BSOD...need help!!!

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
For the past few days, I've been getting a "BAD POOL CALLER" BSOD. I know this is normally related to hardware/driver problems, but I haven't changed my hardware in a few months, and I haven't updated a driver in a month or so. As I type this, I'm rolling that driver back. Can anybody give me any other ideas as to what the problem could be? The last hardware I installed was my X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty in March or April. Thanks!!!

foz

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2005
I looked around the net and saw that it mostly has something to do with a USB device. Unplug all unnecessary items and see if it still happens. If not then plug in one item at a time(wait a day or so between items) until the error comes back. If this dosen't work then theres always Google.

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
That's another thing that I had heard...unfortunately, I have nothing plugged into any of my USB ports. I'm using good ol' PS/2 connections for my keyboard and mouse, and everything else hasn't been plugged in for a few weeks.

foz

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2005
It could be an internet/network problem. Maybe even a virus. These would be the next places I would check. Good Luck!

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Already checked for viruses, malware, spyware, adware...and I got nothing. No network issues either...I'm using a DLink wireless card, and haven't had any problems until now. And there haven't been any driver updates for it, either, so I think it's fine. I rolled back my graphics card driver, and so far, it's running ok. Of course, I haven't done a complete shutdown yet, just a restart.

jonisginger

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Run a memory test, sounds like a memory error, I think I had those errors when I had my dodgy memory. Use memtest86 (runs from a floppy)

just put

"memtest86 download" in on google and it downloads and just write it to a floppy with the enclosed exe and boot from it. Leave it running until it done it all.

How much memory have you got?

Hope that starts to help

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
"crtl" + "alt" + "del"
http://images.google.ca/images?q=ctrl%20alt%20del&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

try repairing windows, {not really though}

did you pull out everything extra and update the motherboard BIOS?
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M2N-SLI%20Deluxe

update all the motherboard drivers

did you disable the sound on the motherboard when you installed your card?

http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
Question
Why does my M2N32-SLI Deluxe system reboot itself if an external S/PDIF speaker is connected for playing DVD video CD? What should I do to resolve this problem?

Answer
Please update the audio driver to rev 5.10.1.4570 or later to resolve this problem.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1073051470
if you have your hardisk and cd rom connected to a different IDE cable (hdisk on primary IDE, cdrom on 2ndary), try to make them connected in one IDE cable. dont forget to re-config it on bios setting.

it's probably your sound card drivers, you should of downloaded the lastes instead of using the CD:
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/484014-solved-bad-pool-caller-help.html

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I updated my sound card drivers once I started having an issue. Mobo BIOS is fully updated, old onboard sound drivers were uninstalled when I installed my sound card and onboard sound was disabled as well.

Also, I don't have a floppy drive lying around...I have 2 gigs of Corsair XMS ddr2 800 at 5-5-5-15 timings, 1.9v. Never had a problem with it, either.

jonisginger

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Hmmmm ok. Well, just try swapping stuff out until you can't (i.e. motherboard) until the problems stops. That will tell you what the problem is.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
so you disabled motherboard sound on the motherboard through the BIOS

and did you try without the sound card in and see if it still happens, so we can isolate the problem?

oh and can you give us an error code? need as much info as possible on the problem, did it start after a windows update? like a media player update? what are you doing when it gives you the BSOD, is it when you start it up, does it happen in safe mode, what happens?

and you ran memtest right? you can get on almost any live linux cd as well.

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
the full STOP error is: 0x000000c2 (0x00000007, 0x00000CD4, 0X00000000, 0X00650052)

I just pulled my sound card out, and my computer hasn't blue screened yet. I'm probably going to shut it down and start it up a few more times just to make sure that's the problem.

I didn't run MemTest; I don't have a floppy drive, and I don't have one lying around the house, either.

My computer usually blue screens about 5-10 minutes after startup. I didn't do any updates or anything before they started...I was gone for a week, came back, and my computer just started blue screening out. I just don't get why my sound card would start causing a problem now when I've had it installed for a few months with no problems.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
and you disable the sound card drivers and reinstalled the downloaded / enabled the drivers for the built in sound?

you can have some fun trying to debug, if you have time, it will solve your problem {hopefully, manually}, or you can post your memory dump file {or a link to it}.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314492/EN-US/

is there any $hity Software that you have installed back when this started happening?

anyways: memtest first, post dump file second.

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Hey guys, sorry I haven't checked this in a while. I've been pretty busy lately. Anyway, I'm gonna run Memtest today and see what I get. At this point, I'm hoping it's not a RAM problem, because if it is, it's probably related to my motherboard, as this would be the second batch of RAM I've had issues with since I built this system.

Anyway, I'll post the results tonight. Thanks!

mjrmjr

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
check all your voltages on ram and chipset.Try increasing the voltages a little.Low voltages caused BSOD many times on my system.

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I dunno, I'm running my RAM at the voltages recommended by Corsair, so I don't think there should be a problem there. Anyway, I'm getting ready to run Memtest, so I'll post the results soon.

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Well, I just ran MemTest...no errors.

Question: I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling my soundcard again. I didn't remove the drivers when I uninstalled it last week (d'oh!). Should I delete everything listed under my sound controllers, or just the stuff specific to my sound card?

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Disable what? The drivers and programs? No, I didn't. I just took out the soundcard because I had an idiot moment.

If I end up not finding a solution to this problem, I may just reinstall Windows. I think that somewhere along the line, something went awry, and that might fix it. I already copied all my necessary files onto my external hard drive, and I just got a new 400GB to throw in to keep things better organized. I just really don't want to mount and install that until I know what the problem is.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Disable what? The drivers and programs? No, I didn't. I just took out the soundcard because I had an idiot moment.

do you want to post emoticons next time you use sarcasm, you know that anyone can read it plus that fact that your buying Fatal1ty parts {as if their blessed} and actually think you are an idiot. :(

so... it wasn't a problem with a WMP11 update 8O

have fun with google :wink:

Run a memory test, sounds like a memory error, I think I had those errors when I had my dodgy memory. Use memtest86 (runs from a floppy)

just put

"memtest86 download" in on google and it downloads and just write it to a floppy with the enclosed exe and boot from it. Leave it running until it done it all.

How much memory have you got?

Hope that starts to help

Thats what i think so too, cause a few weeks a go 1 of my friends had the same problem with some G.Skill RAM.

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Woah man, calm down. I wasn't being sarcastic at all, I actually had an idiot moment and just took out the soundcard and didn't disable the drivers. I was in a hurry trying to make progress before I went to work, and just forgot to disable the drivers. On another note, the only reason I bought the Fatal1ty version over the regular Xtreme Gamer was the fact that I got it for the price of an Xtreme Audio after a rebate.