WIn 2k why didn't anybody say it is this nice

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
yeh i can't belive how much better it is then the windows 98 that i was run ing and still running
(have a triple boot going right now between win2k,win98se,linuix redhat7.1)

yheh i just love this operating ienvorment more then any other windows that i have had

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

G

just an idea I have finally managed to pursuade my dad that his computer running win 95 is not a good idea. I have told him to upgrade to 98 se. I've heard that win 2k is the more stable of the Microsoft Os's is win 2k ok to run games on as this is one of the reasons I told him to use 98se or is win 98se still the better OS for gaming?

<font color=blue> GOURANGA </font color=blue>
<font color=red> Techie2001 </font color=red>

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
We have been saying it for months!

The problem is that whenever someone says that Win2k is the best of all Microsoft O/S's, some Win98 troll pops up whining "Waaaaaaaahhh!!!! Win98 is better for games!!!!!" even though A) they can rarely substantiate this claim with actual data and B) It's simply not true (Win2k compatibility is now up to speed with Win98 compatibility and performance is at parity, if not better.)

:wink:

Yes, I'm exaggerating a bit. That, my friends, is called <A HREF="http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=hyperbole" target="_new">hyperbole</A>.

:smile:

<b>ßunn¥§troker 0wn§ j00!</b>

G

So basically - they're both the same just win 2k is more NT orientated?

yah oder nien?

<font color=blue> GOURANGA </font color=blue>
<font color=red> Techie2001 </font color=red>

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
FYI: You can also trick programs to run on windows 2k to run win98 apps using APCOMPAT.EXE of the win2k cd. Yes Win2k is much better than Win9x OS.

:cool: <font color=blue> I know nothing that is why i am here at THG!</font color=blue> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by juice on 09/20/01 12:18 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Run that by me again?

You can 'emulate' win98, under 2k, using apcompat?

<font color=blue>I hacked Msft, and all I got was this lousy source code.....</font color=blue>

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Win Xp was based around 99% of the Win 2k kernal. Guess what Win 2k ownz Win XP. Give me Service Pack 3 now i said.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Isn't XP just NT 5.5?

Win2k is just NT 5.0.2195, unless you have service pack two installed, then it's NT 5.0.2195 SP2.

heh.

<font color=blue>I hacked Msft, and all I got was this lousy source code.....</font color=blue>

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
if you run the fat 32 you don't have much problems games not working. I Partioned 4 gigs out of my hard drive for win2k and made that ntfs while i left the other 41 gigs for 95 in fat 32 i figure if have aproblem with palying a game i will go back to windows 98 to do it

on thig that i'm finding is that it is not as simple as the home solution so unless you a somewhat good undwerstandings of computer it is going to be harder to use

(anybody else get 100% ultization of there processere when they are buring a cd at 12 x, witha 1200 with ddr)

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yes 2k is nice. stable enough to actually trouble shoot other software hardware problems! lol

current games run very nicely

however you can basically forget all your old dos games, and many that were made before 1999.
win2k is too advanced for them usually.

i.e. interstate 75 just didnt work
carmageddon2 didnt want a bar of 'NT'.
quake2 worked, but the auto install didnt like it, requiring a manual install (copy)

Need for speed 5: Porsche got stroppy with win2k's swap file usage, but thats been fixed now :)

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

jasen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
Drivers are the only problem I've really had with my 2K boxen. If you have a new machine and all big brand name hardware, you'll probably be just fine. If you have any older hardware, or hardware from small or defunct companies forget it. They either didn't write drivers, or they don't work correctly. Other than that, it fixes 9x's instability problems with the NT kernel, and fixes NT's incompatibility problems with 98's hardware/driver support. Nice OS overall.