Q3 - Scripts

I placed a script in my config file (one that cycles through the rail
colours), saved the file and went into the game. The script worked fine -
and I was pleased with it.

I then went in to put in a script to cycle the rocket launcher and rail
gun - and found that the rail colour script was gone - and a test of play
verified that the script was not longer working.

In fact, I can place as many scripts as I want into the config file, they
seem to work fine for the first time that I play the game, but they are gone
the next time I start the game.. Does anyone know why or how?

TIA -

Blessed are the geek, for they shall inherit the Earth.
4 answers Last reply
More about scripts

    you need to put them in a file named: autoexec.cfg (in the same directory as
    config.cfg) - the config.cfg file is rewritten each time Q3 exits.

    --
    pop is Mark
    Doing nothing makes me tired 'cause I can't take a break.

    "pop" <p_o_p@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > you need to put them in a file named: autoexec.cfg (in the same directory
    as
    > config.cfg) - the config.cfg file is rewritten each time Q3 exits.
    >
    > --
    > pop is Mark
    > Doing nothing makes me tired 'cause I can't take a break.

    Ahh- thanks pop =- makes sense.

    Miss Understanding wrote:

    >> you need to put them in a file named: autoexec.cfg (in the same directory
    > as
    >> config.cfg) - the config.cfg file is rewritten each time Q3 exits.
    >>
    >> --
    >> pop is Mark
    >> Doing nothing makes me tired 'cause I can't take a break.
    >
    > Ahh- thanks pop =- makes sense.

    You may have to re-exec it for different mods too... If you play a mod and
    notice things are not working right, drop the console and type:
    /exec autoexec.cfg
    that will also work for any cfg you have in baseq3, some configs you might
    not want in autoexec.cfg. Instead, bind a key to execute it. Put something
    like:
    bind x exec railcolor.cfg
    into the autoexec. I have some examples here:
    http://huckit.net/croak/misc/configs/

    "sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
    > Miss Understanding wrote:
    >
    > >> you need to put them in a file named: autoexec.cfg (in the same
    directory
    > > as
    > >> config.cfg) - the config.cfg file is rewritten each time Q3 exits.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> pop is Mark
    > >> Doing nothing makes me tired 'cause I can't take a break.
    > >
    > > Ahh- thanks pop =- makes sense.
    >
    > You may have to re-exec it for different mods too... If you play a mod and
    > notice things are not working right, drop the console and type:
    > /exec autoexec.cfg
    > that will also work for any cfg you have in baseq3, some configs you might
    > not want in autoexec.cfg. Instead, bind a key to execute it. Put something
    > like:
    > bind x exec railcolor.cfg
    > into the autoexec. I have some examples here:
    > http://huckit.net/croak/misc/configs/

    Thanks Sittingduck - I see you have a demo there of your own too.. 8-)

    I should say that I made an error in my post though - I was able to get the
    script to change from rail to rocket working (thanks all!) - but not the
    rail color changer - it says it does not recognise the command 'color'. Can
    someone have a look at it?
    http://www.planetquake.com/thebind/scripts.shtml

    I know its just a vanity thing, but i think it would add to the fun of the
    game to see different colored rails shooting across the sky.... -

Configuration Games Video Games