wired and wireless

montec

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2004
Help please as I am new to this!!

Ok so here I am connected with my PC to my friends wireless connection. I have bought a router is a level one model wbr-3405TX that I got from newegg and I want to be able to get my wifes laptop and my new DVR(old pc) connected to my main computer. For file and printer sharing and also so I can burn my TV shows that I like to watch on DVD and get them to my Zune please help I will be on for the next hour for sure and will be back on tomarrow when I get a chance.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Are the PC's connected to your main computer or the router?

If they're connected to the router, then you need to join them all into the same domain (if you have XP Pro or Vista Ultimate / Business) or the same workgroup if they're all home edition OSes. Then you'll be able to file / print share amongst them. After this is done, just share the folders you want and map network drives to the other PC's.

montec

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2004
They are or will be connected to the router.

My main pc is my what I call server that I have everything connected to as for peripherals, This runs XP home edition, my wife laptop runs vista home premium, and my dvr once its all set up will have xp pro or home not sure yet oh and I will also have my ps2 and if my wife gets a wii connected also. I am connecting the router wired to my pc and will be connecting wirelessly on the laptop and wii and will eventually connect the dvr that way but for know the dvr and ps2 will be connected wired.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Easy enough, just right-click my computer or go to network places and join all the computers in a common domain. Once that is done, enable file / print sharing and set up folders you wish to share. I believe you have to reboot after joining the workgroup, but after that you should be done.

Then you can either map network drives based on IP, Computer Name, etc. or go into "My Network Places", click "Entire Network", click "Microsoft Windows Network", click your "Workgroup / Domain Name", and then choose a PC to explore.