Sign in with
Your question

Outlook Mail setup

Last response: in Windows XP
November 14, 2009 3:31:43 PM

Hi,

I have two questions about Outlook.

My company provides access to my mail through Outlook Web Access. Is there a way to set up Microsoft Outlook to read my mail? I tried to add a new HTTP email account through Mail in control panel but it doesn't work. Do I have to do add an Exchange Server account instead? I was trying to avoid that because I have to log on to the VPN to use Outlook with an Exchange Server.

Is there a way to transfer mail from our server to a pst file on my computer through the Outlook Web Access interface?

Thank you very much!

Dan

More about : outlook mail setup

November 14, 2009 8:14:21 PM

It depends on what your company is using... you'll have to check with your IT department. If they're using an Exchange Server (which is likely the case), then you'll have to configure it as such. I don't believe you can easily transfer the PST files.
November 14, 2009 9:23:52 PM

Thank you, Zoron. My company uses an Exchange Server. I had it set up on my old laptop, but prefer to use Outlook Web Access because I can access my mail from any computer without logging on to our VPN. My old computer had Windows XP Professional, which included Exchange. My new computer has Vista Home Premium, which does not have Exchange installed. Windows Mail supports only POP3, SMTP, and IMAP. I could install Windows Live to get support for HTTP, but there's no point if I can't set it up to connect to my mail. I was hoping that I could configure Windows Live with the same URL that Outlook Web Access uses, but apparently that doesn't work.

My goal is to transfer some messages to my laptop and delete the messages on the server. I am getting nasty-grams that my mailbox has exceeded the allowed size, so I wanted to transfer important mail to my computer to free up space on the server. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Dan
!