Please Help Me

mlbags1

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I have spent 7 hours over the last 3 days talking to Microsoft about a problem I have with my computer. They have taken remote access and are as confused as I am. After 4 hours today I was told to "google" "The latest version of Windows Vista" and burn it to a CD and then call them back" so they can finally fix my problems. How do I do that? I am so frustrated Please Help!

mlbags1

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I am continually getting prompted to download Window Updates, including IE8. When I download it says that I already have IE8 or better and the update is unsuccessful. Then the icon pops up again and says I have to download the same thing over and over. One update has been downloaded over 100 times. Microsoft says that I have IE8.1 but it shows nowhere on the program list. Now they say my Vista is corrupted and they can't help me until I find the Vista CD, which I can't find so I have to "burn" one off the internet and call them back. I have no clue how to do this. They told me there would be no cost for this, but I have been told by others that there will be a significant cost. I'll keep looking for the CD and call them back I guess.

Have you verified if the updates are completing successfully or not? The update history should be on the update page. If they are failing, they will try to download again, unless you tell them not to.

If one of the updates is for IE8, open your IE browser, click the help menu, and click 'about internet explorer.' This will tell you what version of IE you're on.

If you go to the update website, you can do the advanced or custom updates. This will let you see what it's trying to update. There, you can choose not to update them, and also select the option to not be prompted again.