Sign in with
Your question

Intel to possibly recall 2nd gen core2Duo? what?

Last response: in CPUs
June 26, 2007 9:30:44 PM

http://www.theinq.com/default.aspx?article=40567

this just broke....seems like INTEL is having some serious BUG problem with is 2nd gen C2D line.

Right now a BIOS flash should fix the problem. IF you are running one of ths CPU's ..better get the update.

affected CPUs are the Core 2 Duo E4000/E6000, Core 2 Quad Q6600, Core 2 Xtreme QX6800, QX6700 and QX6800.

In the mobile world, people with the Core 2 Duo T5000 and T7000

AMD Processors do not have this stability bug.
June 26, 2007 9:46:16 PM

"AMD processors are not affected at all, in case you were wondering. ยต"

No $hit? Glad to know that.
June 26, 2007 9:56:55 PM

Thanks for the info. I just installed the update and it did not blow up :D 
I wonder what exactly is the problem though, because the Microsoft update site was a bit vague on what was actually fixed.
Anybody with more info??
Related resources
June 26, 2007 9:59:24 PM

Wow, that stinks...i don't know if I really need it though... :?: I wonder what happens if you don't download the update?
June 26, 2007 10:04:18 PM

Quote:
I wonder what exactly is the problem though, because the Microsoft update site was a bit vague on what was actually fixed.
Anybody with more info??

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?...

About all I could find, got an email today to update the company laptop that pointed to this.
June 26, 2007 10:05:42 PM

How does a MS patch mean that Intel cpu's have a problem?
June 26, 2007 10:06:58 PM

Quote:
Anybody with more info??

Same question here, I haven't seen a difference...I don't think.
wouldn't that suck if the core 2 duos had to ALL be recalled? :evil: 
Somehow, i don't think they would be recalled since some people don't have a clue what a cpu even is. But, if Intel had to replace every cpu that would suck! unless, I got a MUCH better cpu! :lol: 
June 26, 2007 10:09:54 PM

Quote:

Ok, now i'm confused. Should I update my bios? or just download the thingey from M$? And secondly, why would some comps need a bios update when others 'need' an M$ hotfix/update? I don't know if anyone can answer my question, but it would be nice to know!
June 26, 2007 10:13:16 PM

what was the problem?? i have e6420 do i need to download the update?
June 26, 2007 10:14:06 PM

Use your brains people!

I've had a 6xxx cpu for nearly a year now. It's got this far, i think i'll manage without this update.
June 26, 2007 10:17:56 PM

Quote:

Intel from what i can see is trying to fix this real quiet like....so we will know more later
June 26, 2007 10:18:35 PM

Quote:

this just broke....seems like INTEL is having some serious BUG problem with is 2nd gen C2D line.

Right now a BIOS flash should fix the problem. IF you are running one of ths CPU's ..better get the update.

affected CPUs are the Core 2 Duo E4000/E6000, Core 2 Quad Q6600, Core 2 Xtreme QX6800, QX6700 and QX6800.

This AMD Fanboy just trying to get attention for a shitty product this is AMD.

"Just Broke"??? the MICROSOFT not Intel patch is dated June 22nd. 4 days ago is not "Just Broke"
June 26, 2007 10:18:48 PM

Thanks again Jstall. After reading your link I tried to find some info on what they mean by marginality but am unable to find much clarity there. The most important thing is that they state instability and BSOD's as possible symptoms. I have had my new system for a while now (close to two months) and the only thing I've experienced is that ocasionally it wont shut down :oops:  I hope this update fixes that but I wont hold my breath.
@ rabidbunny regarding your free upgrade... don't hold your breath either :D  and I also wonder what good an MS update would do to your boards BIOS as it states it updates microcode(that is BIOS right??)
June 26, 2007 10:26:24 PM

There is nothing in your link that points to a recall of the C2D lineup. Hence your title of the thread needs to be changed.

2nd, this is a hotfix for Windows files, not a bug in the C2D line... If you can offer proof to say otherwise, lets see it. The Inquirer is NOT proof.

The support link to Microsoft makes it more of an OS issue than a hardware issue. And the products effected are pretty much all Windows.

Quote:

June 26, 2007 10:26:29 PM

What is fanboyish about warning people about an important (apparently) update that could potentially prevent certain instability problems. Just because you haven't noticed them yet does not mean it could not happen still. Maybe it happens with certain recently released programs or drivers and it has only surfaced just now. Jstall is just relaying information he thought might be helpfull to us, at least that's the way I see it, and I thank him for it.
June 26, 2007 10:34:56 PM

Well, I did download that hotfix. however, I would think any BIOS update MUST come from the mobo manufacturer, not MS or even intel (unless you have an intel mobo). So, I'll have to keep a lookout on Gigabyte's site for any updated BIOS's that mention this 'problem'.

I've had this system running for over 6 months now (since last october) and I don't think i've had a BSOD yet that I didn't fix (my last bsod was because of a memory voltage issue or something.)
Granted, I have had some weird thingeys happen, like some things not opening up right away or a game crashing (probably due to bad code, it's EA go figure). the clicking thing is probably my mouse, but not my comptuer.

does anyone have any more linked info (not the inquirer, since that has not proven a good, reliable source of info)?
June 26, 2007 10:35:44 PM

The title of this thread smells like FUD "Possible recall". Inquirer is by far one of the worst tech sites on the net and to top it off the link that they provide mentions nothing about a recall or for that matter any problem with the chip. They say that this is microcode for the OS nothing about bios. This is a software patch for the OS that uses an intel chip and nothing more. Oh yeah and the OP just created his account. SHARIKOU! is that YOU!
June 26, 2007 10:40:55 PM

There are always certain errata in any product. Intel and AMD both have errata in their CPUs. Usually this errata refers to events that are very rare and hence are not 'showstoppers'. Most people never encounter these conditions. More problems are from bad drivers...

More info that i've found:
refers to a microcode update back in April.
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=338...
Another referring to the April one
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...

Microcode updates usually mean BIOS updates, not a recall.
June 26, 2007 10:41:11 PM

Well.. I did do some googling and read the OP's second link where it did state to update the BIOS to specifically fix this issue, so it seemed like valid information. That is how I judge him and as such give him the benefit of the doubt.
I've seen many people here with a high post count being horrid fanboys or just plain nasty, so that does not do it for me anymore.
Anyways... to update or not to update.. That is still up to you.
All I can say is that it has not adversly affected my PC and therefore it's a no gain no pain thing for me.
June 26, 2007 10:45:59 PM

Quote:

This AMD Fanboy just trying to get attention for a shitty product this is AMD.

"Just Broke"??? the MICROSOFT not Intel patch is dated June 22nd. 4 days ago is not "Just Broke"

well anytime anyone posts anything close to negative about INTEL....there will come the " YOU ARE AN AMD FAN BOY" comment

who cares.... if this posts helps a few people then its worth the silly attacks
June 26, 2007 10:47:26 PM

Quote:
The title of this thread smells like FUD "Possible recall". Inquirer is by far one of the worst tech sites on the net and to top it off the link that they provide mentions nothing about a recall or for that matter any problem with the chip. They say that this is microcode for the OS nothing about bios. This is a software patch for the OS that uses an intel chip and nothing more. Oh yeah and the OP just created his account. SHARIKOU! is that YOU!

you sound like a hardened INTELLIOT
June 26, 2007 10:48:00 PM

Inq = unreliable, the guy who posted this thread has 5 posts, which means even less reliable and more than likely some errant AMD fanboy attempting to stir up more trouble. Otherwise knowns as BULL SPIT.

If it's a patch from Microsoft, then it's not an Intel issue, if it's a BIOS update from a board manuf that fixes any said issue, then there's no reason for a recall, so again, BULL SPIT. There are BIOS updates all the time to fix minor issues, which I suspect all this is...

I've got an E6600 and E6400 and have experienced -0- problems since getting them and they get used quite heavily....
June 26, 2007 10:48:09 PM

I know this might be a bit out of place, but how can I tell what rev my DS3 is?
June 26, 2007 10:49:33 PM

The issue is really if you do not accept this patch now, will it be silented and or forced in the future. This problem doesn't quite smell right. I'll wait for the facts.

f61
June 26, 2007 10:49:57 PM

Quote:

you sound like a hardened INTELLIOT

Did I hit a nerve? Intel BK yet.
June 26, 2007 10:51:40 PM

Quote:
Inq = unreliable, the guy who posted this thread has 5 posts, which makes it means even less reliable and more than likely some errant AMD fanboy attempting to stir up more trouble. Otherwise knowns as BULL SPIT.

If it's a patch from Microsoft, then it's not an Intel issue, if it's a BIOS update from a board manuf that fixes any said issue, then there's no reason for a recall, so again, BULL SPIT. There are BIOS updates all the time to fix minor issues, which I suspect all this is...

I've got an E6600 and E6400 and have experienced -0- problems since getting them and they get used quite heavily....

how is telling to people with c2ds to check to see if they need a hotfix or patch to possibly prevent problems means i am an AMD FANBOY

explain that?
June 26, 2007 10:51:49 PM

AFAIK you can update the proc's microcode from the OS and not only from the bios. It is not the first time that these things happen. But I'm afraid that the bug must be a nasty one because MS is releasing the patch too. Why MS and/or BIOS? well quite simple: think about asking every user to upgrade their bios in order to patch the microcode when there is people that can't even find a file after downloading it. Thats why you'll get the update via MS. But of course think about every other machine not running MS, almost every mission critical server runs on BSD,UNIX,Linux (just imagine how many RTOS's) so if you don't get the update via them, you'll have to update your bios to get the thing patched. I guess it is pretty logical that no one wants to tell about the specifics of the bug. When there is a bug in the microcode a certain combination of authentic instructions can bring the system to a complete halt, and these magic combination could be easily used as a virus, of course there is no antivirus that can block this because these are authentic instructions your compiler (or you asm programmer) generated.

Quote:

2nd, this is a hotfix for Windows files, not a bug in the C2D line...

Quote:
Use your brains people!

I've had a 6xxx cpu for nearly a year now. It's got this far, i think i'll manage without this update.

Quote:
They say that this is microcode for the OS nothing about bios.

Quote:
Inq = unreliable, the guy who posted this thread has 5 posts, which means even less reliable and more than likely some errant AMD fanboy attempting to stir up more trouble. Otherwise knowns as BULL SPIT.

If it's a patch from Microsoft, then it's not an Intel issue, if it's a BIOS update from a board manuf that fixes any said issue

I don't want to sound rude but I'd recommend you all to read a bit what the microcode in a microprocessor is.
June 26, 2007 10:56:51 PM

Quote:
Inq = unreliable, the guy who posted this thread has 5 posts, which makes it means even less reliable and more than likely some errant AMD fanboy attempting to stir up more trouble. Otherwise knowns as BULL SPIT.

how is telling to people with c2ds to check to see if they need a hotfix or patch to possibly prevent problems means i am an AMD FANBOY

explain that?

The title you posted for the thread then linked to the Inq perhaps? Or maybe the fact that you haven't really posted anything until this and the links and the retarded thread title AND the way you presented the information pretty much says it all...kk, thx, bye bye.
June 26, 2007 10:58:00 PM

Your title reads possible recall.
June 26, 2007 10:58:31 PM

Quote:

explain that?

The title you posted for the thread then linked to the Inq perhaps? Or maybe the fact that you specifically created an account to post the links and the retarded thread title AND the way you presented the information pretty much says it all...kk, thx, bye bye.

Have u applied for a MOD position...since the world has to post to your SPECIFICATIONS

here is MS take on it

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=936357
A microcode reliability update is available that improves the reliability of systems that use Intel processors
June 26, 2007 11:00:39 PM

Quote:
Your title reads possible recall.

exactly it says POSSIBLE

not INTEL TO RECALL c2d line
June 26, 2007 11:00:40 PM

Quote:

explain that?

The title you posted for the thread then linked to the Inq perhaps? Or maybe the fact that you specifically created an account to post the links and the retarded thread title AND the way you presented the information pretty much says it all...kk, thx, bye bye.

Have u applied for a MOD position...since the world has to post to your SPECIFICATIONS

here is MS take on it

A microcode reliability update is available that improves the reliability of systems that use Intel processors

What take? It's a patch to an MS OS that is probably to do more with the way their code interacts with the microcode on the proc than the microcode on the proc itself being faulty. They make *no* mention of the problem being in Intel's microcode....keep trying...
June 26, 2007 11:01:49 PM

But keep trying without my participation - you're a troll, have fun....
June 26, 2007 11:03:08 PM

Quote:

explain that?

here is MS take on it

What take? It's a patch to an MS OS that is probably to do more with the way their code interacts with the microcode on the proc than the microcode on the proc itself being faulty. They make *no* mention of the problem being in Intel's microcode....keep trying...

A microcode reliability update is available that improves the reliability of systems that use Intel processors ... <<-------so this means to u it effects AMD cpu's as well?

MS is to fault no way could INTEL possible have a bug in this system
June 26, 2007 11:07:03 PM

was there no sticker on the board or box? From what I can see on the gigabyte site is when you choose a later revision you just get less BIOS options for download, however descriptions are the same. I don't think it matters for what rev you download BIOS but can't be sure.

GL.

edit spelling error
June 26, 2007 11:07:07 PM

I did a little digging at IBM, and I also came up with this interesting page.

Now I see why there's a CPU issue, and that makes it FUDless. Actual compromise of the L1 cache by bad interconnects... thus marginality.

Intermittent connexions anyone? I note the date of the IBM pages (at bottom) is early May!

f61
June 26, 2007 11:07:43 PM

I think the big issue is the title thread... It says "INTEL to possibly recall 2nd gen core2Duo?" but even the inq article says:
Quote:
We are assured that no product recall will happen
June 26, 2007 11:08:14 PM

Quote:

explain that?

here is MS take on it

A microcode reliability update is available that improves the reliability of systems that use Intel processors ... <<-------so this means to u it effects AMD cpu's as well?

Wow - one last one before I /exit - did I say anywhere that it affects AMD CPU's? No I did not. Learn to read engrish, troll...

/exit
June 26, 2007 11:09:27 PM

Now if this was about an AMD cpu the article would be 3 lines saying it is an extremely minor issue more caused by microsoft or the mobo manufacturers and at the bottom would link to all of the most obscure intel problems ever recorded (links oversized and in bold of course).

EDIT: Oh and I just noticed this at the top:

"The INQUIRER? That's my home page... - Intel field sales engineer"

Ha ha dont hide your fanboyism.
June 26, 2007 11:12:30 PM

So will a MS patch be sufficient or should I upgrade BIOS aswell if one becomes available for my board?
June 26, 2007 11:14:55 PM

Quote:
was there no sticker on the board or box? From what I can see on the gigabyte site is when you choose a later revision you just get less BIOS options for download, however descriptions are the same. I don't think it matters for what rev you download BIOS but can't be sure.

GL.

edit spelling error

well, i checked the box/manual and even the board. There was nothing that said "rev xxx". I was just wondering because I wanted to update my bios sometime soon.
hm...
June 26, 2007 11:16:29 PM

If you read the errata for intel or AMD, you'll see alot worse than that. Its just that these flaws are in every human product. They may sound really bad, but I doubt even 1% of the people out there even see them.

And your link points to a May 2007 release - probably coincides w/ the April microcode update that I referenced earlier in the thread.

morerevs: Unless you see some of the issues that they reference, I wouldn't upgrade anything... If its not broke, don't fix it. I'm not planning to do anything to my rig(e6420).

Quote:
I did a little digging at IBM, and I also came up with this interesting page.

Now I see why there's a CPU issue, and that makes it FUDless. Actual compromise of the L1 cache by bad interconnects... thus marginality.

Intermittent connexions anyone? I note the date of the IBM pages (at bottom) is early May!

f61
June 26, 2007 11:20:52 PM

Too late :D  But sometimes preventive maintenance isn't such a bad thing either. I'm sure almost everyone has downloaded MS updates without ever knowing if they were truly needed or not so...
Who knows, maybe in a year something like this comes up and you'll have forgotten all about this little update and people will be breaking their heads trying to figure out what's wrong. Seeing as it is a hardware issue, it could happen at any time in the future. Atleast I'm covered :p 
June 26, 2007 11:22:16 PM

read the IBM pages... there are bios updates for lenovo products already. It does NOT offer solutions for other vendors. This was just a "root-cause" investigation. IBM in early May was aware of bad L1 cache interconnects in C2D's and released a fixit. No mention was made of Intel contact, advice, or consult.

Short answer is I dunno, and no one is in the confessional booth... YET.

Smacks of a QC slip up at Intel IMHO... and the silence is deafening.

f61
June 26, 2007 11:29:56 PM

And who knows... in 2-3 months of overclocking that C2D it might s#!t the bed and you cite this problem. Dynamic Kelvin cycles might get you a shiny new 6750.

f61
June 26, 2007 11:31:41 PM

I am outraged!! That would be dishonest!!! :twisted:
June 26, 2007 11:34:22 PM

I'm sure if this was a rampant issue, we'd hear alot more about it in the forums. Hey if you already updated, that's fine too! At least we know it works. :p 

f61: yeah, but that IBM page reference is in early may. This thread is more talking about a recent June one.

Seriously, here is the errata for AMD 64's and C2D's. Read through them and you'll see bigger problems than that. But again, its just so rare that it wouldn't stop a release.
AMD Athlon 64's page 13
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_pape...
C2D page 19:
http://download.intel.com/design/processor/specupdt/313...
June 26, 2007 11:40:46 PM

LMAO.

The title of the artcle says "critical update for Core CPU's is out"
then talks about dell, and dell only. All Theo said was "we learned..." No where in the article did they reference a single Intel statement or press release, nor did they reveal their "source". Maybe just poor journalism, or just fanboy fannong flames.

In either case, has it occured to anyone that Apple uses the Xeon 5100s, and mobile chips listed in that article? If someone really wants to see if its a dell HW problem, MS windows problem, or Intel Core 2 problem, all one has to do is see if Apple is scrambling around with BIOS/microcode updates. If they are, it was Intel. If not, then it was an MS or Dell problem. I havent seen any such 'bug patch' recent releases from Apple, but then, I dont follow them closely.

Personally, I do hope its an Intel problem as AMD needs every shread of help it can get.....even though Im typing this on a E6600.
June 26, 2007 11:47:17 PM

Wow there are quite a number of systems affected.

The system may be any of the following IBM servers:

* BladeCenter HS21 XM, type 7995, any model
* BladeCenter HS21, type 1885, any model
* BladeCenter HS21, type 1915, any model
* BladeCenter HS21, type 8853, any model
* IntelliStation Z Pro, type 9228, any model
* IntelliStation Z Pro, type 9232, any model
* Intellistation M Pro (M50), type 9229, any model
* Intellistation M Pro (M50), type 9230, any model
* System x3200, type 4362, any model
* System x3200, type 4363, any model
* System x3250, type 4364, any model
* System x3250, type 4365, any model
* System x3400, type 7973, any model
* System x3400, type 7974, any model
* System x3400, type 7975, any model
* System x3400, type 7976, any model
* System x3500, type 7977, any model
* System x3550, type 1913, any model
* System x3550, type 7978, any model
* System x3650, type 1914, any model

Quote:
An updated release of the BIOS flash image contains an Intel microcode patch for the microprocessor firmware that addresses two issues:

1. A marginal design issue in the L1 cache circuit that could lead to a system hang, blue screen, or kernel panic in Linux.
2. Incorrect "IVNL Page" execution that could lead to data loss.

The exposure is believed to be limited, but IBM strongly recommends that customers install this update as soon as possible to eliminate any exposures.

If your system encounters the same symptoms after the recommended BIOS has been applied, refer to other published tips and treat the symptoms with known corrective actions.

Obviously a hardware problem. Not the worst processor issue I've seen, but sucks just the same to have to deal with it.

I doubt anyone knows how many processors are actually affected. The only way to be sure it is not an issue is to bios flash everything, or at the very least install the MS hotfix if you're running Windows.
June 26, 2007 11:49:37 PM

lordpope, you've really outdone yourself on this one...well, not really.
!