Intel to possibly recall 2nd gen core2Duo? what?

navarone

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
http://www.theinq.com/default.aspx?article=40567

this just broke....seems like INTEL is having some serious BUG problem with is 2nd gen C2D line.

Right now a BIOS flash should fix the problem. IF you are running one of ths CPU's ..better get the update.

affected CPUs are the Core 2 Duo E4000/E6000, Core 2 Quad Q6600, Core 2 Xtreme QX6800, QX6700 and QX6800.

In the mobile world, people with the Core 2 Duo T5000 and T7000

AMD Processors do not have this stability bug.

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Thanks for the info. I just installed the update and it did not blow up :D
I wonder what exactly is the problem though, because the Microsoft update site was a bit vague on what was actually fixed.
Anybody with more info??

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Thanks for the info. I just installed the update and it did not blow up :D
I wonder what exactly is the problem though, because the Microsoft update site was a bit vague on what was actually fixed.
Anybody with more info??

Same question here, I haven't seen a difference...I don't think.
wouldn't that suck if the core 2 duos had to ALL be recalled? :evil:
Somehow, i don't think they would be recalled since some people don't have a clue what a cpu even is. But, if Intel had to replace every cpu that would suck! unless, I got a MUCH better cpu! :lol:

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
How does a MS patch mean that Intel cpu's have a problem?

Ok, now i'm confused. Should I update my bios? or just download the thingey from M$? And secondly, why would some comps need a bios update when others 'need' an M$ hotfix/update? I don't know if anyone can answer my question, but it would be nice to know!

grabeck

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007

this just broke....seems like INTEL is having some serious BUG problem with is 2nd gen C2D line.

Right now a BIOS flash should fix the problem. IF you are running one of ths CPU's ..better get the update.

affected CPUs are the Core 2 Duo E4000/E6000, Core 2 Quad Q6600, Core 2 Xtreme QX6800, QX6700 and QX6800.

This AMD Fanboy just trying to get attention for a shitty product this is AMD.

"Just Broke"??? the MICROSOFT not Intel patch is dated June 22nd. 4 days ago is not "Just Broke"

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Thanks again Jstall. After reading your link I tried to find some info on what they mean by marginality but am unable to find much clarity there. The most important thing is that they state instability and BSOD's as possible symptoms. I have had my new system for a while now (close to two months) and the only thing I've experienced is that ocasionally it wont shut down :oops: I hope this update fixes that but I wont hold my breath.
@ rabidbunny regarding your free upgrade... don't hold your breath either :D and I also wonder what good an MS update would do to your boards BIOS as it states it updates microcode(that is BIOS right??)

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
There is nothing in your link that points to a recall of the C2D lineup. Hence your title of the thread needs to be changed.

2nd, this is a hotfix for Windows files, not a bug in the C2D line... If you can offer proof to say otherwise, lets see it. The Inquirer is NOT proof.

The support link to Microsoft makes it more of an OS issue than a hardware issue. And the products effected are pretty much all Windows.

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
What is fanboyish about warning people about an important (apparently) update that could potentially prevent certain instability problems. Just because you haven't noticed them yet does not mean it could not happen still. Maybe it happens with certain recently released programs or drivers and it has only surfaced just now. Jstall is just relaying information he thought might be helpfull to us, at least that's the way I see it, and I thank him for it.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Well, I did download that hotfix. however, I would think any BIOS update MUST come from the mobo manufacturer, not MS or even intel (unless you have an intel mobo). So, I'll have to keep a lookout on Gigabyte's site for any updated BIOS's that mention this 'problem'.

I've had this system running for over 6 months now (since last october) and I don't think i've had a BSOD yet that I didn't fix (my last bsod was because of a memory voltage issue or something.)
Granted, I have had some weird thingeys happen, like some things not opening up right away or a game crashing (probably due to bad code, it's EA go figure). the clicking thing is probably my mouse, but not my comptuer.

does anyone have any more linked info (not the inquirer, since that has not proven a good, reliable source of info)?

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
The title of this thread smells like FUD "Possible recall". Inquirer is by far one of the worst tech sites on the net and to top it off the link that they provide mentions nothing about a recall or for that matter any problem with the chip. They say that this is microcode for the OS nothing about bios. This is a software patch for the OS that uses an intel chip and nothing more. Oh yeah and the OP just created his account. SHARIKOU! is that YOU!

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
There are always certain errata in any product. Intel and AMD both have errata in their CPUs. Usually this errata refers to events that are very rare and hence are not 'showstoppers'. Most people never encounter these conditions. More problems are from bad drivers...

More info that i've found:
refers to a microcode update back in April.
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33889730
Another referring to the April one
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?&objectID=c01020735

Microcode updates usually mean BIOS updates, not a recall.

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Well.. I did do some googling and read the OP's second link where it did state to update the BIOS to specifically fix this issue, so it seemed like valid information. That is how I judge him and as such give him the benefit of the doubt.
I've seen many people here with a high post count being horrid fanboys or just plain nasty, so that does not do it for me anymore.
Anyways... to update or not to update.. That is still up to you.
All I can say is that it has not adversly affected my PC and therefore it's a no gain no pain thing for me.

navarone

Distinguished
May 31, 2007

This AMD Fanboy just trying to get attention for a shitty product this is AMD.

"Just Broke"??? the MICROSOFT not Intel patch is dated June 22nd. 4 days ago is not "Just Broke"

well anytime anyone posts anything close to negative about INTEL....there will come the " YOU ARE AN AMD FAN BOY" comment

who cares.... if this posts helps a few people then its worth the silly attacks

navarone

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
The title of this thread smells like FUD "Possible recall". Inquirer is by far one of the worst tech sites on the net and to top it off the link that they provide mentions nothing about a recall or for that matter any problem with the chip. They say that this is microcode for the OS nothing about bios. This is a software patch for the OS that uses an intel chip and nothing more. Oh yeah and the OP just created his account. SHARIKOU! is that YOU!

you sound like a hardened INTELLIOT

boduke

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Inq = unreliable, the guy who posted this thread has 5 posts, which means even less reliable and more than likely some errant AMD fanboy attempting to stir up more trouble. Otherwise knowns as BULL SPIT.

If it's a patch from Microsoft, then it's not an Intel issue, if it's a BIOS update from a board manuf that fixes any said issue, then there's no reason for a recall, so again, BULL SPIT. There are BIOS updates all the time to fix minor issues, which I suspect all this is...

I've got an E6600 and E6400 and have experienced -0- problems since getting them and they get used quite heavily....

f61

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
The issue is really if you do not accept this patch now, will it be silented and or forced in the future. This problem doesn't quite smell right. I'll wait for the facts.

f61

qurious69ss

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006

you sound like a hardened INTELLIOT

Did I hit a nerve? Intel BK yet.