Modem multiplayer ?

G'day. Been played a little doom, d2, Quake, & II, and a lot qIII on PSII.
Owned PC QIII for a long time but only now using it.
How can I multiplay with my mate via modem/phone line: Just he & I please?

Thanks. Looking foreward to PC Quakeing again...Had a lot of fun with some
simple scripts in qII...

On 9/17/2005 1:48 AM Eyedunno brightened our day with:

>G'day. Been played a little doom, d2, Quake, & II, and a lot qIII on PSII.
>Owned PC QIII for a long time but only now using it.
>How can I multiplay with my mate via modem/phone line: Just he & I please?
>
>Thanks. Looking foreward to PC Quakeing again...Had a lot of fun with some
>simple scripts in qII...

Why would you want to do that? Just set up a private server if you just
want the two of you to play. Quake 3 requires a tcp/ip connection to
play anyway. I think you might have been able to do modem to modem with
the original Quake but it was a pain in the ass. I'm curious if you set
up modem to modem connections often for other applications? Just seems
so incredibly primitive, I had to ask myself if I ever did that, then a
whole lot of bad memories cropped up of trying to get a successful
"handshake" 15-20 years ago.

--
Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said that about Galileo."
Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 9/17/2005 1:48 AM Eyedunno brightened our day with:
>
> >G'day. Been played a little doom, d2, Quake, & II, and a lot qIII on
PSII.
> >Owned PC QIII for a long time but only now using it.
> >How can I multiplay with my mate via modem/phone line: Just he & I
please?

> >Thanks. Looking foreward to PC Quakeing again...Had a lot of fun with
some
> >simple scripts in qII...
> >

> Why would you want to do that? Just set up a private server if you just
> want the two of you to play. Quake 3 requires a tcp/ip connection to
> play anyway. I think you might have been able to do modem to modem with
> the original Quake but it was a pain in the ass. I'm curious if you set
> up modem to modem connections often for other applications? Just seems
> so incredibly primitive, I had to ask myself if I ever did that, then a
> whole lot of bad memories cropped up of trying to get a successful
> "handshake" 15-20 years ago.
>
> --
> Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said
that about Galileo."
> Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."

Cool sig -

The old versions of Command and Conquer used to have the option of 'Calling'
another pc - but I have not seen that option on other pc games.

What about a program that establishes a tcp connection over the phone line -
like 'PC Anywhere'? Once the network is created using this type of
software, would it not then be easier to play Q3 across the line?

Blessed are the geek, for they shall inherit the Earth.