Sign in with
Your question

Failed motherboard - ICH8R raid array to ICH9R board

Last response: in Storage
June 27, 2007 1:08:35 AM

Hey everyone,
Well my adventures into the world of thermoelectric watercooling came to an abrupt end last night with condensation and a dead motherboard and who knows what else. The problem I am presented with now is moving my raid 0 and raid 5 array on 3 hard drives (split on the hard drives using the matrix technology) onto a new motherboard. I was just wondering if I can just throw these three hard drives onto a p35 board and have the raid automatically detected or if I should buy the same board again for the best chance of success. My current setup is:

e6420
asus p5b deluxe wifi
3 * 320 sata 2 hdd
etc...

and I am interested in changing to the p35 series boards like the gigabyte p35c-ds3r.

I want to pick up the board in the next few hours so a quick reply would be great :D  .
June 27, 2007 2:14:04 AM

I have NOT tested this myself nor seen anyone else confirm it, but I believe I've heard that the ICH6R, 7R, 8R, and 9R RAID arrays are all compatible.

To make sure you're not stuck, buy the motherboard from a retailer with a liberal return policy so you can take it back if for whatever reason it doesn't work.
June 27, 2007 9:06:41 AM

Well its all academic now... I replaced the motherboard with the same one and still had no boot... turned out to be the cpu and not the motherboard. The computer store was nice enough to let me return the motherboard and grab a cpu instead. So raid issues are out the window. :D 
June 27, 2007 9:48:13 AM

If the motherboard and bios are the same as your old one,then you should have very few issues.Otherwise you need to re-install.Hence you lose all data.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
7950GT KO(WAITING FOR MY OTHER TO COME BACK FROM RMA)
ACER 22IN. LCD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
80GIG/250gig SATA2 HD's
XP MCE
!