BSOD.....my computers BANE

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Not much to say really.....I am getting BSOD...randomly. Usually in games. Sometimes its not BSOD....my computer just locks up, or restarts randomly. Is there a way to read into BSOD? how can I tell what is causing it. My comp specs are in my Siggy. Yes, My Cpu is overclocked but it is an E6600 w/ a Zalman 9700 and I havent even pushed it past 2.9 Ghz. Suggestions welcome, let the fun begin.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
My PS is a Zalman 600Watt, VERY high quality. cost about 160$
i have run those tests....is there any way to look at the BSOD information it gives you to determine why it is happening ?

accu

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
if your computer is stable like you said, then try to uninstall/ and reinstall your drivers for video card, but i doubt that would help.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
my computer is stable? are you on the same thread as me? My computer is totally unstable. It works....very well, I havent had to reinstall windows or vista in a long time. My computer kicks ass....when it isnt BSODing or just flat out restarting randomly. I appreciate the advice but my computer is very unstable.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
It sounds to me like you're having driver issues.Un-install your video drivers,reboot in safe mode,then re-install drivers in safe mode.Reboot as normal and see if that helps any.A common mistake a lot of people make is they install their anti-virus before they install grphics drivers.This can,and usually does cause issues due to your graphics drivers not configuring correctly when installed.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
7950GT KO(WAITING FOR MY OTHER TO COME BACK FROM RMA)
ACER 22IN. LCD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
80GIG/250gig SATA2 HD's
XP MCE

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
i have run those tests....is there any way to look at the BSOD information it gives you to determine why it is happening ?

Zalmans are good quality?
thats total news for me..
zalman is well know for fans and cooling solutions, but never heard that they had GOOD models of PSUS...

wattage doesnt mean quality btw...
go ask mphilchfamily for more information to see if your psu is actually aceptable.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

zalman is well know for fans and cooling solutions, but never heard that they had GOOD models of PSUS...

go ask mphilchfamily for more information to see if your psu is actually aceptable.

Of course wattage doesnt = good quality...... its only 600 watts you doofus. I'm saying its an excellent PSU because it freaking is.... go on newegg and look up the reviews... this PS comes w/ a 3 year warranty! This is a great PS that utilizes heatpipes for cooling you noob, and paired w/ a 3 year warranty....this is one of the best PS's on the market right now. Do your homework noob. Why else would a 600 watt PS be 150 bucks.

accu

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
my computer is stable? are you on the same thread as me? My computer is totally unstable. It works....very well, I havent had to reinstall windows or vista in a long time. My computer kicks ass....when it isnt BSODing or just flat out restarting randomly. I appreciate the advice but my computer is very unstable.

anyways, how did you do on those cpu stress tests?? imo u hving unstable pc due to overclocking... most likely cpu overclocking. try to not overclock anything and see if is better.

jonisginger

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Disable overclocking entirely, then if you get BSODs write down the error code and any extra information

Better still, take a readable picture

Then we can go from there

crabdog

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006

Of course wattage doesnt = good quality...... its only 600 watts you doofus. I'm saying its an excellent PSU because it freaking is.... go on newegg and look up the reviews... this PS comes w/ a 3 year warranty! This is a great PS that utilizes heatpipes for cooling you noob, and paired w/ a 3 year warranty....this is one of the best PS's on the market right now. Do your homework noob. Why else would a 600 watt PS be 150 bucks.

He was merely stating that he was unaware of the fact that Zalman make good PSU's. I would suggest you pull your head in and check yourself if you want to come here and ask for help. No need to start name calling and slinging derogatory comments, especially when he did not in any way attack you in the first place.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
what bsod, what is the error and code given? Is it always the same bsod?

bsod could be caused by faulty ram too, try running memtest (runs from a floppy)

http://www.memtest.org/

EDIT: Ooops noticed you've already run memtest DOH!

Disable overclocking entirely, then if you get BSODs write down the error code and any extra information

Better still, take a readable picture

Then we can go from there

Agreed, you'll have to go back to square one and eliminate OCing as part of the problem and proceed from there.

There are a few P/Ss that the 8800GTX is finding their weakness's since you were so nice in responding to that poster, it really would be ashame if the P/S turned out to be your problem, most times its usually the last thing you considered as the problem anyway.

I had BSOD because I was using an old monitor with a 8800 GTS 320 MB.
I would get a nv4_disp.dll error. After I changed the monitor to a newer one the BSODs disappeared. It was because the monitor was too slow responding the video card so it would go in a loop and BSOD.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate all the responses, I didn't mean to blow up earlier. I'm going to try your suggestions and let you know the results.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Think I fixed the problem.....went to BIOS and Unlinked my CPU clock from my RAM. Keeping my ram at it's rated speed of 800Mhz, and only Overclocking my CPU now.....seems to have done the trick. My comp is stable at 3.2 Ghz. No BSOD in last day or two. I think it worked.

jonisginger

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Ahhh, OK, interesting, thanks, we learn something everyday.

To All: Is it possible on all motherboards to unlink Memory from CPU, spec in siggy.

gpippas

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
No not with amd cpus coz of the IMC. You can only change the ratio. If you want overclock more the best thing to do is lower the ram speed if thats the limiting factor and then you can increase fsb back up to the original rated speed of the ram. Obviously other components permiting.