Cable TV question....

I have the Sony 34XBR960. When I auto program the channels with the tv
connected directly to the cable line (without the box) everything is fine
for a while. The next day or so I lose all digital channels from the auto
program and the analog channels all have snow and audio distortion on them.
All the channels with the box work fine (I'm using a splitter for twin
view). Does anyone know what might be causing this problem? Maybe Comcast
keeps scrambling their signal so it kind of forces people to get a cable
box???

Any thoughts/info is greatly appreciated.
16 answers Last reply
More about cable question

    After you auto-program do you actually have any digital channels if so I
    am suprised?
    The analog channels should always be there.
    For the digital channels you do need a STB or cable card because your
    TV should not be able to demodulate them. (Qam).

    --
    rcbridge

    "rcbridge" <rcbridge.1kthty@satelliteguys.us> wrote in message

    > After you auto-program do you actually have any digital channels if so I
    > am suprised?
    > The analog channels should always be there.
    > For the digital channels you do need a STB or cable card because your
    > TV should not be able to demodulate them. (Qam).
    >

    > --
    > rcbridge

    Yeah I get all the digital channels for a short time. Sometimes I have them
    for a few hours, sometimes I have them for a day. The problem is, when they
    scramble the signal and I lose them, my analog channels gets snow and audio
    distortion... then I have to re-auto program and the whole cycle
    continues...

    I realize that the cable company does this so I have to pay $15 for either a
    box or a cableCARD, but why is this messing up my analog and my twin
    view....

    Thanks for responding and for any help... 8^)

    I looked up this TV on the Sony web page (nice set BTW) it has the cable
    card slot, but you are not using it or an STB. I am still suprised that
    you can capture the digital channels after a scan, but you will need to
    use the Cable card or the STB to continue to see the digital channels so
    they can charge you for that, is the price of a cable card the same as a
    STB, in my area it is only $5, I don't understand why the analog
    channels are affected.

    --
    rcbridge

    "rcbridge" <rcbridge.1kuv4z@satelliteguys.us> wrote in message

    > I looked up this TV on the Sony web page (nice set BTW) it has the cable
    > card slot, but you are not using it or an STB. I am still suprised that
    > you can capture the digital channels after a scan, but you will need to
    > use the Cable card or the STB to continue to see the digital channels so
    > they can charge you for that, is the price of a cable card the same as a
    > STB, in my area it is only $5, I don't understand why the analog
    > channels are affected.
    >

    > --
    > rcbridge

    Here, in the Boston area, it's $15 and I already have a box that's $15...

    not worth it...

    Could be the split. I tried a split, one split into my digital cable box and
    the other directly into the TV so we could watch expanded cable without the
    digital box for the first 77 channels, but no go. Signal strength was not
    strong enough so I had to give up the split and can only watch using the
    digital cable box.
    Roger

    "Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote in message
    > Could be the split. I tried a split, one split into my digital cable box
    > and the other directly into the TV so we could watch expanded cable
    > without the digital box for the first 77 channels, but no go. Signal
    > strength was not strong enough so I had to give up the split and can only
    > watch using the digital cable box.
    > Roger

    It's just strange that without the box I get all the channels; analog
    digital, and HD, crystal clear, after a scan... then when they scramble
    them, so I lose the digital and HD, my analog gets all messed up. I don't
    get it. Comcast said to try to use just the component cables coming out of
    the box and not even use a cable line from the box. I'll try it and let
    everyone know how it went...just in case someone else has a similar problem
    down the road....

    "Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote in message
    > Could be the split. I tried a split, one split into my digital cable box
    > and the other directly into the TV so we could watch expanded cable
    > without the digital box for the first 77 channels, but no go. Signal
    > strength was not strong enough so I had to give up the split and can only
    > watch using the digital cable box.
    > Roger

    It's just strange that without the box I get all the channels; analog
    digital, and HD, crystal clear, after a scan... then when they scramble
    them, so I lose the digital and HD, my analog gets all messed up. I don't
    get it. Comcast said to try to use just the component cables coming out of
    the box and not even use a cable line from the box. I'll try it and let
    everyone know how it went...just in case someone else has a similar problem
    down the road....

    I've been using with a 5-1000GHz -3.5dB 2-way splitter for exactly that
    purpose. Plus, the split restored full functionality to my PiP(PoP) 2nd
    tuner. I only use the box for the digital tier and HD, of course. I think my
    analog signal looks better fed directly to my RPTV. I've seen posts from
    people stating that the cableco can install an amp if you rsignal lever is
    that low. First, though, check the specs on your splitter.

    YMMV
    --
    "Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee."
    - Anon

    "Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote in message
    > Could be the split. I tried a split, one split into my digital cable box
    > and the other directly into the TV so we could watch expanded cable
    > without the digital box for the first 77 channels, but no go. Signal
    > strength was not strong enough so I had to give up the split and can only
    > watch using the digital cable box.
    > Roger

    Any suggestion which one I should buy... The one I have says 1000GHz but is
    old and I guess it wouldn't hurt to replace it... Plus, Comcast charges $40
    for a signal booster to boot so I'll try replacing it first...

    The one from Monster is $10. Is it worth it or shoud I cheap out...

    Thanks!!!

    "MrMike6by9" <MrMike6by9@tepidmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've been using with a 5-1000GHz -3.5dB 2-way splitter for exactly that
    > purpose. Plus, the split restored full functionality to my PiP(PoP) 2nd
    > tuner. I only use the box for the digital tier and HD, of course. I think
    > my analog signal looks better fed directly to my RPTV. I've seen posts
    > from people stating that the cableco can install an amp if you rsignal
    > lever is that low. First, though, check the specs on your splitter.
    >
    > YMMV
    > --
    > "Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee."
    > - Anon
    >
    > "Roger" <nospam@world.com> wrote in message
    >> Could be the split. I tried a split, one split into my digital cable box
    >> and the other directly into the TV so we could watch expanded cable
    >> without the digital box for the first 77 channels, but no go. Signal
    >> strength was not strong enough so I had to give up the split and can only
    >> watch using the digital cable box.
    >> Roger

    Inexpensive is fine as long as they met the spec. And yes, the contacts can
    corrode on the older ones. That was one thing the cableco did for me when
    trying to find out why my signal was intermitent. In my case, the very first
    split on the incoming line is my 2-way to the box and to the screen. I made
    other needed splits on the TV line not the cable box line.

    --

    "Zapp Brannigan" <nospam@nope.com> wrote in message
    > Any suggestion which one I should buy... The one I have says 1000GHz but
    > is old and I guess it wouldn't hurt to replace it... Plus, Comcast charges
    > $40 for a signal booster to boot so I'll try replacing it first...
    >
    > The one from Monster is $10. Is it worth it or shoud I cheap out...
    >
    > Thanks!!!

    I have the same issue with my Toshiba 57H93 which has NTSC, ATSC,
    Digital Cable 64 & 256 QAM tuners. When I by pass the box and connect
    the cable directly to the TV and I auto program, I get all the analog,
    digital and HDTV channels that I'm authorized for, however, the next
    day all the digital & HDTV channels are gone and the analog channels
    look terrible! So, I auto program again and get them all again. I've
    upgraded the splitter and added an amplier to boost the signal but
    that didn't help.

    I have the same issue with my Toshiba 57H93 which has NTSC, ATSC,
    Digital Cable 64 & 256 QAM tuners. When I by pass the box and connect
    the cable directly to the TV and I auto program, I get all the analog,
    digital and HDTV channels that I'm authorized for, however, the next
    day all the digital & HDTV channels are gone and the analog channels
    look terrible! So, I auto program again and get them all again. I've
    upgraded the splitter and added an amp boost the signal but that
    didn't help.

    I have the same issue with my Toshiba 57H93 which has NTSC, ATSC,
    Digital Cable 64 & 256 QAM tuners. When I by pass the box and connect
    the cable directly to the TV and I auto program, I get all the analog,
    digital and HDTV channels that I'm authorized for, however, the next
    day all the digital & HDTV channels are gone and the analog channels
    look terrible! So, I auto program again and get them all again. I've
    upgraded the splitter and added an amp to boost the signal but that
    didn't help.

    I have the same issue with my Toshiba 57H93 which has NTSC, ATSC,
    Digital Cable 64 & 256 QAM tuners. When I by pass the box and connect
    the cable directly to the TV and I auto program, I get all the analog,
    digital and HDTV channels that I'm authorized for, however, the next
    day all the digital & HDTV channels are gone and the analog channels
    look terrible! So, I auto program again and get them all again. I've
    upgraded the splitter and added an amp to boost the signal but that
    didn't help.

    Sorry about that, I kept getting the old server not found after
    submitting...I should have checked.

    I have heard of stuttering , but this is ridiculous! :rolleyes:

    --
    MikeD-C05, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US

HDTV TV Cable Home Theatre