Record DirecTV HD with Non-Tivo DVR

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 21, 2005 1:55:02 PM

The DirecTV HD DVR/TiVo is grossly overpriced at $800+ (well, for me,
that is). I can afford a standard DirecTV HD Receiver, but can a person
utilize a non-HD DVR/Tivo box and still record HD shows? (Yes, I do
have an HD-Ready TV)

Obviously, you won't get to record shows in HD quality with this
proposal, but is this concept possible at all to record HD broadcasts
without an HD DVR?

Maybe this will clarify my question:
`````````````````````````````````````
DirecTV HD Receiver =
Watch HD

DirecTV HD+DVR Receiver =
Watch & Record HD

Possible?
DirecTV HD Receiver > Non-DirecTV DVR =
Watch in HD, Record in Non-HD
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 5:02:30 PM

So, if I had a DirecTV HD Receiver with DVI outputs and any DVR
receiver with DVI input, it will be able to record the signal
regardless?
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 11:03:43 PM

wrburgess@gmail.com wrote:

> The DirecTV HD DVR/TiVo is grossly overpriced at $800+ (well, for me,
> that is). I can afford a standard DirecTV HD Receiver, but can a person
> utilize a non-HD DVR/Tivo box and still record HD shows? (Yes, I do
> have an HD-Ready TV)
>
> Obviously, you won't get to record shows in HD quality with this
> proposal, but is this concept possible at all to record HD broadcasts
> without an HD DVR?
>
> Maybe this will clarify my question:
> `````````````````````````````````````
> DirecTV HD Receiver =
> Watch HD
>
> DirecTV HD+DVR Receiver =
> Watch & Record HD
>
> Possible?
> DirecTV HD Receiver > Non-DirecTV DVR =
> Watch in HD, Record in Non-HD

Depends on whether your DirecTV HD receiver outputs simultaneously the
HD format picture (via component/DVI/HDMI) to your TV AND the SD format
picture in a format (S-video, composite) the DVR can handle. If it does,
then you should be able to do this. I don't know what DirecTV Receiver
you have, so I can't say for sure.

Scott
February 22, 2005 5:48:50 PM

dawg1998 <wrburgess@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, if I had a DirecTV HD Receiver with DVI outputs and any DVR
> receiver with DVI input, it will be able to record the signal
> regardless?

I can't see any reason why it shouldn't, as far as the DirecTV
reciever is concerned it's sending the signal to a TV. Now, I'd think
FINDING a DVI input on a DVR might be problematic, but then again I
haven't looked so I don't know.

Scott
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 5:54:09 PM

(NsdoO(at)S.visiP.AcomM) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> dawg1998 <wrburgess@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > So, if I had a DirecTV HD Receiver with DVI outputs and any DVR
> > receiver with DVI input, it will be able to record the signal
> > regardless?
>
> I can't see any reason why it shouldn't, as far as the DirecTV
> reciever is concerned it's sending the signal to a TV. Now, I'd think
> FINDING a DVI input on a DVR might be problematic, but then again I
> haven't looked so I don't know.

It's impossible to record DVI signals because there isn't any hardware
fast enough to compress them so that they won't take up the entire hard
drive. The uncompressed HD that is on the DVI wire takes up over 100
megabytes per second (yes, that's megaBYTES), or 360GB/hour. Compressed
HD takes about 9GB/hour.

--
Jeff Rife | "_Grease_ is one of my favorite movies. A

!