G-Force dual monitor question

rcav8or

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2005
Hi, all...

I had a g-Force fx 5200 in my 'puter that went south. I found another one online, but find it doesn't have dual monitor capability, which I need. I don't play games, but do a lot of graphics and web design work and like the dialog boxes on the other screen, to free up my "easel".

I was really happy with the 5200 - should I try to find another one that DOES support dual, or is there another card out there that I should upgrade to. I don't need the biggest, baddest one out there, but I DO want my two monitors back!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

R

XFXSupport

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
Usually if they have two ports on the video card it will support two monitors. Do you have a link to the video card in question so we can take a look and help out?

XFX Support

rcav8or

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2005
http://www.nvidia.com/page/fx_5200.html

This is the card originally in the computer, when I got it from Dell. Worked great, two monitors, extended.

Then one day - WHAM, quit working. Bought another one on-line, but it wouldn't show both monitors correctly. It would have a screen, and clone, but not extend. I tried all kinds of different drivers, from different forums, but none would make it work - through windows, Nvidia - nothing. I suppose it's possible I got a bad card.

So, I'm looking for a reasonable AGP replacement, that won't break my pocketbook - like I said, I don't do games, and don't push cards hard.

R

Gryphyn

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Something I've noticed when working with multiple monitors is, at times, the order in which the monitors are plugged in can have an effect on the driver's ability to allow dual independant view vs. clone. I've never had it refuse an extended desktop, but it might be worth a shot.

Try swapping the order the monitor cables are plugged into the video card in the back. I've had it work for me.