Cannot boot XP

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Partition
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
November 17, 2009 12:49:34 AM

Ok I think my problem is pretty simple to fix but I do not know what to do. I have a hard drive with 2 partitions. Windows xp has is on one of the partition while Vista was on the other. Today I formatted the Vista partition and installed windows 7 64 on it, but now I no longer get the screen that gives me 30 seconds to choose which operating system I want to boot and 7 just boots automatically like it is the only OP. I checked the XP partition on W7 and all of the files are still there. What do I have to do?

More about : boot

November 17, 2009 8:09:13 PM

Thanks. That seems to have fixed the boot option. I can choose which OS I want to boot now but when I choose XP, I get an error message about the NTDLR file missing. EasyBCD also gave me a message about NTDLR and NTDETECT missing. How do I get these files and where do I put them?
m
l
Related resources
November 17, 2009 9:38:10 PM

Now do this.

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter, which in this case is "e." This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.
m
l
November 18, 2009 5:45:11 PM

I tried the recovery console but kept getting "Access Denied" when trying to copy the files. Then I tried copying the files through windows 7 and it said I would need adminstration permission, but they copied anyway. Now when trying to choose XP from the dual boot menu, it says ntoskernel is missing or corrupt.
m
l
November 18, 2009 7:09:15 PM

Try this, i read in another thread and works for all people with similar problems:

Open "System Recovery Options" on the repair disk, or OS disk.
Open up the Command Prompt.Try typing the following commands in order:
"bootrec /fixmbr", "bootrec /fixboot", "bootrec /rebuildbdc".
m
l
!