Sign in with
Your question

Hiding addresses when emailing multiple recipients

Last response: in Social Networking
July 14, 2011 3:27:13 PM

Hi,

If I put X in "To: " then Y and Z in "Bcc: ", Y and Z will see that I sent the email to X, not to them. I want them to see that I sent the email to them (Y sees To: Y, and Z sees To: Z). Is is possible ?
July 14, 2011 4:17:32 PM

BCC is the only way to accomplish this unless you write a script to loop through a list of recipients and send each the same message using their name in the "To: "
a b 1 Email
July 14, 2011 5:08:13 PM

Don't use a "To:", just BCC everyone. Also, this doesn't truly hide the addresses. If anyone is smart enough to show the full header of the message, they can see all the recipients.
Related resources
July 15, 2011 12:34:48 PM

Right but now the "To: " field says "none" or is just blank, which looks too akward. So basically it's impossible to do what I was asking right ? :( 
July 15, 2011 12:39:49 PM

What is your spec? Are you trying to spam people? Are you trying to avoid generating that much traffic so your mail server won't get blacklisted due to spam by sending the single message with all the recipient names?

If not, you can use any one of many different scripting languages (ie php, ColdFusion, ASP) to loop through a mail list or a query of e-mail addresses and send an individually packaged/wrapped e-mail message with only one "To: " to each recipient.
a b 1 Email
July 15, 2011 1:01:24 PM

zibizibi said:
Right but now the "To: " field says "none" or is just blank, which looks too akward. So basically it's impossible to do what I was asking right ? :( 

Put your own email address in the to field.
July 16, 2011 9:50:42 AM

Well my own email in the to field is also weird isn't it ?
a b 1 Email
July 16, 2011 2:24:27 PM

Then your only option is like ubercake said, write your own script or program to loop through a list of addresses and email each individually.
July 16, 2011 8:06:20 PM

Ok thanks all
a b 1 Email
July 19, 2011 4:41:23 PM

What does looking odd have to do with it working? Close your eyes when you send it out if it bothers you.
!