Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Norton power eraser

Last response: in Applications
July 15, 2011 3:04:57 AM

Hi,
I have questions regarding the results I got after I ran Norton Power Eraser. It came up with 2 bad files:
omci.sys (driver)
gamemon.des (service)
Norton could not fix either of these problems. So my questions would be, what are these files, and do I need to do something with them?

More about : norton power eraser

Best solution

July 15, 2011 11:09:27 AM

I fundamentally distrust any Norton product but these seemingly could be malformed files.

I believe omci.sys is a driver for Dell systems. Think gamemon.des is for Gameguard?

Try using MalwareBytes instead and see if you get better results / can actually remove them.

Related resources
July 15, 2011 12:41:54 PM

Not strictly true. Just because they are associated with legit processes does not mean they are safe.

They could have been replaced, modified or could be an entirely different process with the same name.
Score
a b 8 Security
July 15, 2011 12:49:40 PM

I ran Norton eraser on my sons Dell XPS gaming computer and it came up with only those two files.Malwarebytes and superantispyware scanned and showed 0 threats.
Score
a b 8 Security
July 15, 2011 12:52:15 PM

Because Norton Power Eraser uses aggressive methods to detect threats, there is a risk that it can select some legitimate programs for removal. You should use this tool very carefully.

That is why Norton has this warning on the eraser download page ^
Score
July 15, 2011 11:39:07 PM

878103,2,447046 said:
I fundamentally distrust any Norton product but these seemingly could be malformed files.

I believe omci.sys is a driver for Dell systems. Think gamemon.des is for Gameguard?

Try using MalwareBytes instead and see if you get better results / can actually remove them.[/quotemsg

R I P
You are correct, these files are as you identified as. When I Googled them I did find some articles that said they could be used to hide rookits. That is why I questioned them. I ran malwarebytes. It found two different items, but not these, so I am going to assume that the 2 files are ok.
I also downloaded and ran ccleaner. Now I will tell you that I know just enough about computer to do some real damage to them. With that in mind, how much trouble can I get in if I trust ccleaner and let it clean up whatever it comes up with, which seemed like a whole hell of alot.
Any advice?
Ken
Score
July 16, 2011 12:09:55 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Because Norton Power Eraser uses aggressive methods to detect threats, there is a risk that it can select some legitimate programs for removal. You should use this tool very carefully.

That is why Norton has this warning on the eraser download page ^

A51

As I just posted, my knowledge of computers is rather limited, which is why I rely on software like Norton to help me out. You are correct, that warning is there and I do respect it. I would appreciate your advice on ccleaner as well. It came up with alot of bad items on my computer, which is several years old, and for the most part I have no idea of what these bad items are. I have not had it do any cleaning yrt.
Ken
Score
July 16, 2011 3:30:45 PM

dampat said:

I also downloaded and ran ccleaner. Now I will tell you that I know just enough about computer to do some real damage to them. With that in mind, how much trouble can I get in if I trust ccleaner and let it clean up whatever it comes up with, which seemed like a whole hell of alot.

I've used CCleaner plenty of times and I've just let it delete whatever it finds. If you also have it clean up the registry I believe it is configured out of the box to ask you if you want to back up the registry before making changes.
Score
July 17, 2011 2:24:04 AM

Best answer selected by dampat.
Score
a b 8 Security
November 2, 2011 12:50:00 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!