NVIDIA Control Panel - can not save settings

hesychia

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
I have a problem saving settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel.
For example: with the program settings for Company of Heroes, I changed the "Vertical sync" to "Force off" then I click the "Apply" button.
When I close the NVIDIA Control Panel and return to it later, I see that the setting returned to the default value of "Use the 3D application setting." This happens with the other settings as well.

Why does my setting not save after I apply it?

NVIDIA support suggested changing driver version 158.45 to 160.02. This did not help, and they had no more suggestions.

Anyone else have this experience or know of a solution?

Thank you.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Very simple fix:

(Most likely only works in Vista)

Go to your System32 folder, inside the Windows folder. Find these two files:

nvapps.xml
nvwsapps.xml

Right-click, Properties. I think it is like the Security or Compatibility tab (not on Vista comp. right now), but whatever. Give both files Full Control for all users. Fixed!

~Ibrahim~

rtwPhoenix

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I tried all the variation to make this work like anyone else and nothing seemed to work. So I tried something a little weird.

I was thinking that if the monitor keeps defaulting to one monitor maybe just maybe vista can't see the other one even thought if shows up in the nvida condtrol panel.

So I shut everything down. Unplugged both monitors and plugged the default monitor into the one that didn't show up. Left one monitor upplugeed. Started the machine again/ Everything came up great as it should right. Well in the nvidea contorl panel it showed the correct display.

Shut everything down again and make the second monitor now the default by plugging in the other monitor cable. Started everythign up and guess what both monitors are up. Shut it down again switched the cables back to where they should be and everything works great.

So what can I say vista is a little quirky? Or is it nvida? What does it matter it has been working for two days now that is all I really know.

Changed the setting back on nvapps.xml and nvwapps.xml everything still working after reboots.

RTW