Sign in with
Your question

Few questions about wireless routing...

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 10, 2004 11:20:54 PM

I currently run a linksys wired router for my pc and my xbox. My mother wants to share my internet access for her pc downstairs. Someone she knows wants to set up a wireless connection. Now if any of you are like me you really don't want some stranger fiddling around with your personally built pc.

First question...Is wireless performance good enough for online gaming? I do a lot of it.

Second question....Is there a way to hook up a single wireless connection to one of the ports in my existing linksys router and have that port be sending/recieving to the pc downstairs?

I really don't want to lose any performance at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

<font color=blue>One day ass hair will be sexy.</font color=blue>
February 11, 2004 7:40:28 PM

bump

February 12, 2004 2:10:31 PM

1. Yes.

2. Yes. Buy an AP and a wireless client card for the PC. You'd actually pay less if you just replaced your existing wired router with a wirless one. Wireless AP/ROuter combos are generally cheaper than dedicated AP's.

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer
Related resources
February 13, 2004 7:59:16 PM

Thanks kwebb!!

February 13, 2004 8:34:21 PM

Hi

I just bought a linksys wireless router WRT54G. It works great. To answer your questions:

1) Wireless performance will be good enough for online gaming. The speed of a broadband connection is not fast enough to match transfer speeds of a wireless 11b network.

2) As mentioned in the other post, get a wireless card for your PC downstairs.

Another thing: Try to get a wireless G router if you can help it. It's faster for transferring files within your network.

Gary Hendricks
<A HREF="http://www.digital-music-guide.com" target="_new">www.digital-music-guide.com&lt;/A>
!