graham

In Windows Explorer, if you have selected View - Details, the size of each
file appears in the list on the RH pane.

But the size of folders is not shown. The only way I know to view the size
of a folder is to rightclick on it, and click on Properties

Does Windows have a way to let you show folder sizes on the detail list?

If not, is there a third-party utility program that can be used to do this?

Hi

Enabling the Status Bar may help you. With WE open go to View>Status Bar,
then go to Tools>Folder Options>View and click on 'Apply to All Folders'.
Restart WE.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Graham" <Graham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In Windows Explorer, if you have selected View - Details, the size of each
> file appears in the list on the RH pane.
>
> But the size of folders is not shown. The only way I know to view the
> size
> of a folder is to rightclick on it, and click on Properties
>
> Does Windows have a way to let you show folder sizes on the detail list?
>
> If not, is there a third-party utility program that can be used to do
> this?

Graham,

Using the dirsize.dll plugin from MVP Mark Dormer, you can add the Folder
Size column for folders in Detail View. This plugin calculates the folder
size and displays it in a column. Download Dirsize.dll plugin and place the
file in Windows\System32 folder. Now, register the DLL using regsvr32
command from Start, Run dialog.

regsvr32 %Systemroot%\System32\Dirsize.dll

Next, open a folder and set it to Detail view. From the View menu, click
Choose Details. Put a checkmark near Folder Size, and click OK. Use CTRL and
+ key (Numeric Keypad) combination to resize the column width, so that the
Folder Size column is displayed correctly.

To apply this setting for all the folders, click Tools, Folder Options. In
the View tab and click Apply to all folders. To remove the feature, simply
un-register the DLL [regsvr32 /u %Systemroot%\System32\Dirsize.dll]. Ignore
error messages if any.

You can download the module from here: http://markd.mvps.org/home.asp

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

"Graham" <Graham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In Windows Explorer, if you have selected View - Details, the size of each
> file appears in the list on the RH pane.
>
> But the size of folders is not shown. The only way I know to view the
> size
> of a folder is to rightclick on it, and click on Properties
>
> Does Windows have a way to let you show folder sizes on the detail list?
>
> If not, is there a third-party utility program that can be used to do
> this?

graham

Thank you, Will. This sort of helps. The status bar now tells me the size
of the SELECTED folder. I was really hoping for a listing with the size of
every folder shown. I think the next reply in the thread, from Ramesh, may
help.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Enabling the Status Bar may help you. With WE open go to View>Status Bar,
> then go to Tools>Folder Options>View and click on 'Apply to All Folders'.
> Restart WE.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Graham" <Graham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In Windows Explorer, if you have selected View - Details, the size of each
> > file appears in the list on the RH pane.
> >
> > But the size of folders is not shown. The only way I know to view the
> > size
> > of a folder is to rightclick on it, and click on Properties
> >
> > Does Windows have a way to let you show folder sizes on the detail list?
> >
> > If not, is there a third-party utility program that can be used to do
> > this?

graham

Thank you Ramesh, that worked nicely. Regards, Graham

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Graham,
>
> Using the dirsize.dll plugin from MVP Mark Dormer, you can add the Folder
> Size column for folders in Detail View. This plugin calculates the folder
> size and displays it in a column. Download Dirsize.dll plugin and place the
> file in Windows\System32 folder. Now, register the DLL using regsvr32
> command from Start, Run dialog.
>
> regsvr32 %Systemroot%\System32\Dirsize.dll
>
> Next, open a folder and set it to Detail view. From the View menu, click
> Choose Details. Put a checkmark near Folder Size, and click OK. Use CTRL and
> + key (Numeric Keypad) combination to resize the column width, so that the
> Folder Size column is displayed correctly.
>
> To apply this setting for all the folders, click Tools, Folder Options. In
> the View tab and click Apply to all folders. To remove the feature, simply
> un-register the DLL [regsvr32 /u %Systemroot%\System32\Dirsize.dll]. Ignore
> error messages if any.
>
> You can download the module from here: http://markd.mvps.org/home.asp
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>
> "Graham" <Graham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In Windows Explorer, if you have selected View - Details, the size of each
> > file appears in the list on the RH pane.
> >
> > But the size of folders is not shown. The only way I know to view the
> > size
> > of a folder is to rightclick on it, and click on Properties
> >
> > Does Windows have a way to let you show folder sizes on the detail list?
> >
> > If not, is there a third-party utility program that can be used to do
> > this?

You're welcome Graham.

--

http://windowsxp.mvps.org

> Thank you Ramesh, that worked nicely. Regards, Graham
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Graham,
>>
>> Using the dirsize.dll plugin from MVP Mark Dormer, you can add the Folder
>> Size column for folders in Detail View. This plugin calculates the folder
>> size and displays it in a column. Download Dirsize.dll plugin and place
>> the
>> file in Windows\System32 folder. Now, register the DLL using regsvr32
>> command from Start, Run dialog.
>>
>> regsvr32 %Systemroot%\System32\Dirsize.dll
>>
>> Next, open a folder and set it to Detail view. From the View menu, click
>> Choose Details. Put a checkmark near Folder Size, and click OK. Use CTRL
>> and
>> + key (Numeric Keypad) combination to resize the column width, so that
>> the
>> Folder Size column is displayed correctly.
>>
>> To apply this setting for all the folders, click Tools, Folder Options.
>> In
>> the View tab and click Apply to all folders. To remove the feature,
>> simply
>> un-register the DLL [regsvr32 /u %Systemroot%\System32\Dirsize.dll].
>> Ignore
>> error messages if any.

<snip>