Sign in with
Your question

Speedfan Question

Last response: in Motherboards
June 27, 2007 8:57:10 PM

So I have a MSI K9A Platinum MB with a Athlon 64 X2 and I am running Speedfan to monitor my temps. I am wondering if any of you could help me decipher which if the temps are which. So here they are (as listed on the configuration menu):

Label / Chip / Bus
CPU / Winbond W83627EHF / ISA
System / Winbond W83627EHF / ISA
Core / AMD K8 / PCI
AUX / Winbond W83627EHF / ISA

My real question lies with the fact that their are two CPU temperatures one labeled Core and one labeled CPU and their temperatures are vastly different the CPU temp reads 10+ *C more than the Core temp. And then what are the other temps (System and AUX)?

Thanks for any and all help that you guys can provide.

Josh

More about : speedfan question

June 28, 2007 1:54:58 PM

Well, there's probably some exact reference to the winbonds. Their uniqueness lies in their addressing for pulling off temp values.

Easiest is to check the actual temp. CPU under load (right click the windows folder and add to winrar archive to stress the cpu and watch which ones climbs suddenly). The system point is located round about the cpu area, and will most likely be higher than the AUX reading located further away than the SYS.

Core vs CPU: Core I'd see as on die temp reading on the core itself and then CPU is the heat sink reading and will be lower than the core itself as the heat is dissipated at this point.
June 28, 2007 4:48:22 PM

Their is no difference in the Winbond numbers so I was unable to decipher it that way. As far as the Core vs CPU that is what I thought also, except that the Core temp is always about 10*C cooler than the CPU temp. So I am also wondering if one of the temps (SYS or AUX) is the Northbridge?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 29, 2007 5:24:08 AM

Might be. It's possible to have the SYS and not the AUX reading, so the NB would be logical, except this is an AMD cpu, so there's no NB as the memory controller is on die.
June 29, 2007 12:02:11 PM

Talked to MSI and they said the SYS temp is just the area around the MB and there is no AUX just the two sensors (1 SYS and 1 CPU). So I think that my last question is what temp is more accurate the CPU temp from the MB or the Core temp wherever it comes from (maybe on die)?
!