4GB RAM wont boot but 2 and 3 will?

anurok

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
I just got my RMA'd ram back from PQI...

I have 4GB of PQI Turbo 667 Ram dual channel PC5400.

I took out my replacement/loaner ram...stuck in the 4GB of PQI and all I get are long beeps from the motherboad.

I take out 2 RAM sticks, turn it on, and it boots up fine...

I place in a 3rd stick...it boots up fine...

I place in the 4th stick and the beeps start again...

I am running an EVGA 680i SLI Socket 775 board...

I am sure this can handle 4GB.

If not...is it better to run 1GB x3 or just 1GB x2 ?

Is there anyway to run all 4 GB?

I just got my RMA'd ram back from PQI...

I have 4GB of PQI Turbo 667 Ram dual channel PC5400.

I took out my replacement/loaner ram...stuck in the 4GB of PQI and all I get are long beeps from the motherboad.

I take out 2 RAM sticks, turn it on, and it boots up fine...

I place in a 3rd stick...it boots up fine...

I place in the 4th stick and the beeps start again...

I am running an EVGA 680i SLI Socket 775 board...

I am sure this can handle 4GB.

If not...is it better to run 1GB x3 or just 1GB x2 ?

Is there anyway to run all 4 GB?

Test each DIMM as a single is slot 1. If you have a dead one, the system wont boot and you will get the beeps. If all four DIMMS are good, boot up with one DIMM into BIOS. Increase your RAM voltage a notch or two. Increase voltage to at least mfg. specs or a bit higher. Shut down and install all four DIMMS.

You need xp or vista 64 bit to use more than 3 gig's of ram. It isnt your hardware :roll:

Installing 4 Gb RAM onto Vista 32 or Windows 32 can be accompolished no problem. The system will not recognize the entire 4 GBs, but the system will run fine, I use mine like this every day. OP's problem could certainly be a bad DIMM.

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
You need xp or vista 64 bit to use more than 3 gig's of ram. It isnt your hardware :roll:

That makes no sense at all. The BIOS is beeping at him, which means it's pretty much down to the hardware. You can also run up to the manufacturer's specs on RAM (such as 16GB if your board supports it), and it will not cause this issue.

OP, follow badge's advice and also make sure you have the latest BIOS installed.

anurok

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Hrm...all four slots and ram chips work. I tried each one...

So should I up the volts then?

I know the power supply should have no problem running it. I am running an 850W Cooler master...

What do you all think I should bump it too? 2volts?

Hrm...all four slots and ram chips work. I tried each one...

So should I up the volts then?

I know the power supply should have no problem running it. I am running an 850W Cooler master...

What do you all think I should bump it too? 2volts?

If all four DIMMS work, put 1 of the DIMMS only in slot 1. Boot into BIOS with the one DIMM. Set the RAM voltage to mfg. specs. (2.0 would be close) or slightly higher to 2.1v. Shut down then install the other three DIMMS and boot up with all four at the higher voltage. HTH.

anurok

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
I bumped it to 2 volts and I still get the long drawn out beeps...going to try 2.1v

tried 2.1 and 2.2

Going to update bios as far as I can or call evga =/

I bumped it to 2 volts and I still get the long drawn out beeps...going to try 2.1v

tried 2.1 and 2.2

Going to update bios as far as I can or call evga =/

Be sure you take each DIMM (seperately) and install it ONLY in slot 1 of the MB and boot up. Check each DIMM in slot one seperately to confirm each DIMM is a good DIMM. So you would boot up four times, each time with a different DIMM in slot 1.

anurok

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
thanks for the help badge =D

I found out it was 1 bad DIMM out of 4 that I received...

What sucks is I already RMA'd this ram once haha...this is the stuff they sent me =/

Oh well...I guess I can run 2GB until I get another set back...

thanks for the help badge =D

I found out it was 1 bad DIMM out of 4 that I received...

What sucks is I already RMA'd this ram once haha...this is the stuff they sent me =/

Oh well...I guess I can run 2GB until I get another set back...

Glad to help. The same thing happened to me from OCZ RMA warranty. They sent me 4 brand new DIMMS that would not boot. One of the new DIMMS was defective! I was surprised like you. I thought this was what happened to you as soon as I read your original post.

anurok

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Lol what sucks more is that now I have 2GB of GOOD patriot ram sitting on my desk that I don't know what to do with..

I guess its a good thing my best friend is letting me build his new PC...I can just sell him that ram haha..

Already sent the RMA request to PQI. Oh well. It will get done =D

Again, thank you for the help.