Sign in with
Your question

0 knowledge - need help picking router

Last response: in Networking
February 28, 2008 2:10:49 AM

I just bought a laptop to go along side my gaming computer.
I play alot of online games and plan on playing games on both computers at the same time.

I have a 10meg (100.0 mbps) (Super fast) charter cable internet connection speed.
I'm worried that my little knowledge of routers will lead me to buy something that isn't going to give me my full connection speed while using both computers.

My question is...
What router should I buy to insure that I won't be hindering my full connection speed?
Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I'm sorry if this question has already been posted, I read through a bunch of topics here and couldn't find an answer.

My computer's specs

Windows vista home premium
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Duel Core Processor 5000+ 2.60GHz
2GB ram
64bit OS
(2) Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS Graphic Cards
In Device Manager under the network adapters tab it says i have...
Gigabyte GN-WP01GS PCI WLAN Card(turbo)
Nvidia nForce Networking Controller
Nvidia nForce Networking Controller#2

Laptop Specs

PROCESSOR
AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 Dual-Core processor TK-55 (1.8GHz/512KB)
OPERATING SYSTEM
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic
MEMORY
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 Dimm
HARD DRIVE
120GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory™ (integrated)
WI-FI WIRELESS CARD
Dell Wireless 1490 802.11g Wi-Fi Mini Card
February 28, 2008 2:13:27 AM

The Laptop has vista too.
I forgot to put that in there.
I'm not sure if that effects anything but just so you know.
February 28, 2008 8:14:06 PM

The ZyXEL x-550 has been very good. Wasy to set up and very reliable, no idsconnects
Related resources
February 28, 2008 8:34:50 PM

Unless you've got like OC3 or like a bonded T-3, I don't think you'll achieve 100Mbps. It's probably 10Mbps, and since it's cable, it's "up to 10Mbps", which means you'll probably only get 3-7Mbps reliably. Maybe more if you're relatively close to the NOC.

Anyways, the router mentioned above is pretty decent, but really just about any 10/100 or Wirless a/b/g router can achieve those speeds without slowing you down. If you go wireless though, you'll want to make sure you get a decent signal strength, don't put any cheap external speakers near your laptop / router, and make sure you don't have any radio equipment operating at the same frequency as your router (Usually 2.4Ghz). Any of these can be obstructions and lower your signal strength, lower bandwidth, and cause drop-outs.

If you don't understand or want to read the above -- just go with G-paw's suggestion and disregard me... lol. :D 
March 1, 2008 4:01:27 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestions.
I really don't know my actually speed, like you said.
I doubt I actually get 100.0mbps but I only put that cause when i go to my "Network and Sharing" place in the control panel and click view status, under speed it just says 100.0 mbps.
It also says the name of my connection is "Local area connection 2" that sounds like lan or something but It's the only network in there and it's using that connection to get online so I honestly don't know lol.
But thank you for the info on the wireless, Very handy to know for anyone.
March 1, 2008 4:20:55 PM

I was just looking at that router you suggested "G-Paw". The stats of the router seemed very good and I like what I see except the comments on new egg are terrible, 90% of them claim their power supply died right out of box, yet most ppl still suggest it to others. Did you have this trouble? I saw the page that allows you to get a free replacement power supply but all that just makes me worry. Good price tho.
March 4, 2008 9:00:03 PM

I'd look at bad reviews this way:

About 95% of the people that have an good experience with the product will say nothing. It did what it's supposed to so I'll keep my mouth shut.

It's that 5% (usually less) of the people that get a product that is defective or they don't know how to set it up properly (usually the case) that are extremely vociferous and make the product look bad.

**I've seen people give away $300+ printer / scanners because the "power supply died" when in reality, the power supply just had a breaker and there was a short power outage. Just unplug it for a second and plug it back in... voila, it worked and they just spent $300 on another new printer.
March 5, 2008 5:30:44 PM

crescent_moon said:
I was just looking at that router you suggested "G-Paw". The stats of the router seemed very good and I like what I see except the comments on new egg are terrible, 90% of them claim their power supply died right out of box, yet most ppl still suggest it to others. Did you have this trouble? I saw the page that allows you to get a free replacement power supply but all that just makes me worry. Good price tho.

Just got back. Have not had any problems with the router at all including the power supply.
!