Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How is write protection removed from cd/dvd discs??

Last response: in Windows Vista
June 9, 2010 3:59:32 AM

Computer info:

Acer- "Aspire" 4315
Vista Home Edition Basic
1G Ram
TSST corp ATA CD/DVD-ROM device "Working Properly

Then what can I possibly do to remove/disengage :o  "write protected" designations from new "clean" discs? I've asked, read and begged for answers :fou:  and none come. My frustration level is rising with every request; can anyone :cry:  help? I would appreciate it immensely.
June 9, 2010 6:25:36 PM

Write protection is put on the discs to stop Piracy. Is that your reason for wanting to remove the write protection?
Score
June 10, 2010 2:21:55 PM

If you're referring to blank discs, there is no write protection present that woud prevent you from writing to the discs. If you're referring to discs that have already been written and the discs have been closed, then it is not possible to write more data to the discs under any circumstances.
Score
Related resources
June 27, 2010 6:14:41 AM

mibix19 said:
Write protection is put on the discs to stop Piracy. Is that your reason for wanting to remove the write protection?

Piracy is not my reason, the discs are blank (new from the Office Depot). My problem is: when a fresh dvd/cd is inserted instead of formatting it for immediate use, the NTI Backup Now! 4.7 back up system write protects it. I haven't had a chance to put ANY files on the disk :fou:  ; so logically there's nothing to write protect! Yet I've gone through 3 disks (dvd and cd) that were in essence "ruined" before putting a file or record on them :cry:  . Sorry for any confusion :(  .
Score
June 27, 2010 6:28:19 AM

Zoron said:
If you're referring to blank discs, there is no write protection present that woud prevent you from writing to the discs. If you're referring to discs that have already been written and the discs have been closed, then it is not possible to write more data to the discs under any circumstances.

I am referring to blank discs (dvd/cd) fresh from the Office Depot. My problem is: upon inserting a fresh disk, using the NTI Backup NOW 4.7 program; the disks are write protected BEFORE I've had a chance to put any files or records on them! I expect the NTI program to format the disk, not write protect it!I do understand the write protection takes place after selecting which type of format is used (ie: R-W or R). My understanding is R-W may be altered, the R cannot be altered.
Score
June 30, 2010 12:06:33 AM

Jonmor68 said:
I suggest you try a different burning program, you should not be having this problem writing to blank disks.
Here's a free one that's Vista compatible.
BurnAware Free 2.5 (5.87MB)
http://download.cnet.com/BurnAware-Free/3000-2646_4-108...

Thank you very much for your suggestion, I've downloaded BurnAware 2.5! I also noticed something pecular when I inserted another blank disk; the system started "writing to it immediately" without my prompting, hitting the enter key or any action on my part. I ejected the disk, it stopped (of course) when I reinserted the disk the system continued to "write" to the disk; I checked the Properties and found:

"O" (zero) Used space - Blue This section is all blue :fou:  and I haven't done anything!!!
"O" (zero) free space - Pink
"o" Capacity

The system is Write protecting something, I can't tell what; when I try to Explore or Open the disk; system: "Prepare this blank disk" suggesting formatting a new disk :(  When I do click to format the new disk, system: "This disk is write protected" :fou:  :fou:  Which leads me back to my earlier question is there a way to remove or overwrite a write protected disk? Or could this problem begin with the bundled back up programs Acer installed? Am about ready to begin removing Acer bundled programs :pt1cable:  :bounce: 
Score
June 30, 2010 10:14:59 PM

It looks as if you have the Vista Live File System enabled, and files qued to be burnt.
I wonder if the Acer program is activating when you insert a disk, you should be able to disable it. If you can uninstall it all the better
There is no need to format a blank disk to burn files except when you want to use for drag and drop files onto the cd, I don't recommend this method.
To burn files start BurnAware first then insert a blank cd/dvd and select the files to burn in BurnAware. If any other popup shows cancell it.
You need to stop the instant burning, this should not be happening.
Start BurnAware first, insert the disk that started to burn and click on disk information and see what it says.
Score
May 5, 2011 9:47:38 PM

mibix19 said:

Trying to use my own backups of data on CD-RW discs I purchased at Staples..I would like to reformat and use again. Don't know how the discs became write protected on my computer in the first place. How would I have used these backups if I had a crash?
Score
May 5, 2011 9:49:41 PM

Zoron said:

I thought CD-RW discs were rewritable.....I don't understand the technology then
Score
May 12, 2011 2:00:41 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
Score
!