Sign in with
Your question

Reformatting a Pc without driver disks.

Last response: in Windows XP
November 20, 2009 5:33:02 AM

Hi, I'm trying to help fix someone's computer for them because the PC illiterates around me think I'm a guru, well I'm far from so I need help.

This is a dell PC on Windows XP, I was going to just reformat it with my windows xp CD and the Serial key that's on the computer, but I'm worried that if I delete the partitions and then do a completely fresh install that I won't be able to find the chipset drivers and everything.

I've never reformatted a production PC, only my own custom PC so I have all my driver installation disks but none for this one I'm trying to format. So if I reformat this computer, install windows xp, how can I get all the drivers for the hardware?
November 20, 2009 7:10:08 AM

What if I'm unable to login to the computer?
m
l
Related resources
November 20, 2009 7:17:11 AM

Since you are fixing someone else PC,you can download directly from Dell web site.
m
l
November 20, 2009 7:28:21 AM

Don't you need the drivers on the computer just to go online, so I would have to figure out what drivers I need for it and then download them from my computer, burn them to a disk etc.?
m
l
November 20, 2009 7:37:47 AM

Do you have PC with internet connection?Yours personally,not someone else.And do you know what model of DELL computer that someone have.
m
l
November 20, 2009 7:39:18 AM

Yes my computer has an internet connection but I don't have any idea what model her computer is.
m
l
November 20, 2009 7:40:28 AM

Oh yes I do it's a Vostso 200 desktop.
m
l
November 20, 2009 7:48:06 AM

That's vostro, and there's a lot of drivers on the site, which ones do I need.
m
l
November 20, 2009 7:50:49 AM

Then follow the link provided ,download drivers for that model,bun them on CD,go to her,format windows,install drivers and bee her`s hero.
m
l
November 20, 2009 7:51:37 AM

Just download everything on the page?!
m
l
November 20, 2009 12:16:39 PM

bishop113 said:
Hi, I'm trying to help fix someone's computer for them because the PC illiterates around me think I'm a guru, well I'm far from so I need help.

This is a dell PC on Windows XP, I was going to just reformat it with my windows xp CD and the Serial key that's on the computer, but I'm worried that if I delete the partitions and then do a completely fresh install that I won't be able to find the chipset drivers and everything.

I've never reformatted a production PC, only my own custom PC so I have all my driver installation disks but none for this one I'm trying to format. So if I reformat this computer, install windows xp, how can I get all the drivers for the hardware?

screw partition leave it wide open,unallocated
m
l
November 20, 2009 12:19:10 PM

download Kill Disk, wipe it ,and reinstall window xp,and if you want partition ,put it in,dave
m
l
November 20, 2009 12:20:18 PM

download Kill Disk, wipe it ,and reinstall window xp,and if you want partition ,put it in,then grab the drivers ,where he said ,dave
m
l
November 20, 2009 7:32:53 PM

You don't need driver genious or kill disk or anything else.

You do need to know that the OS product key matches your OS version. If it doesn't, the key won't work.

If the PC owner uses ethernet to connect to the internet, then you'll want to download those drivers before you format the PC. Then do the format/install. When windows is installed, install the ethernet drivers (or other modem/router drivers). This will give the PC network access. Then go to the video card (if applicable) manufacturer's website and download the video drivers. Then look at the device manager to see what has conflicts. Those are the items you'll want to download drivers for from Dell's website.
m
l
November 21, 2009 1:44:13 AM

you can get the key with Winkey Finder if thats all you need is the Key Code download it ,dave
m
l
November 21, 2009 1:45:52 AM

and do what he says ,nothing to it,done billions of times,dave
m
l
!