Biostar TForce P965 + E2160 CPU temp

Captain_Soviet

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Hi, I just installed a new mobo, CPU and some RAM into my computer, and the reported CPU temp in the BIOS seems off. It's a Biostar Tforce P965 (non-deluxe), E2160 and 2 gigs of Corsair XMS2 675Mhz RAM. The CPU cooler is an older CoolerMaster Hyper 48, but it's still better than the Intel box cooler. Anyways, I haven't had time to install an OS on this rig yet, but when I checked the CPU temp in the BIOS, it read as 16-19 degrees Celsius. Now I'm pretty sure that this is wrong, because Intel hasn't manage to circumvent the laws of physics, and the ambient temp in my room is 26 degrees C. I later booted into Knoppix off my USB stick, and the only temperature monitor I found there also read from 14 to 19 degrees. Does anyone know how much this sensor is offset by, and what my actual CPU temperature is?

hunter_green32

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
I would call the mainboard vendor for a solution, this will most likely result in a determination that the CPU temp sensor is bad, and result in an RMA.

Hopefully this board is still under warrenty.

Captain_Soviet

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I've now installed Vista, and have used three different programs to see the temperature of the CPU, here's what they report:
Speedfan: 21C, 21C
Everest: 21C
CoreTemp: 37C, 36C

I think CoreTemp is reporting the right temperature here, it simply can't be below ambient. However, one thing does concern me, Coretemp reports Tjunction at 100C and Speedfan reports "Temp1" at 127C. Is this the result of a broken sensor? I'd like some confirmation, please.