Your question

more ram - now or later?

Tags:
  • Memory
  • DDR2
  • RAM
Last response: in Memory
June 28, 2007 4:41:34 AM

So the 2gb set of DDR2 corsair ram I paid $270 for last summer is down to $90 with rebate on newegg. I would like to upgrade with at least another 2gb in the next few months and switch to vista when some dx10 games finally come out but by the time that happens, ddr3 will be more mainstream causing a decrease in production of ddr2 - driving the prices up. Do you think that the prices will stay this low or should I jump on this deal now?

thoughts? opinions? flames?

More about : ram

June 28, 2007 12:11:04 PM

Thing is a 32bit OS can't use more than 2 GB of ram, but a 64bit OS can use all 4 GB of ram. Its also harder to OC four sticks of ram compared to 2 GB of ram. The reason is because not all 4 sticks of ram are going to perform the same limiting your OC. Also its a good idea to buy all the ram that your going to use for your computer from the same vender, so you don't get two differant memory chips versons. So if you like the ram you have now then don't buy, on the other hand if your want this better ram then buy as its not only cheaper memory but also better quality ram. Hope this helps.
June 28, 2007 4:34:34 PM

Now is the time to buy another ddr2 kit .already ram prices are starting to creep back up and will continue to do so according to what I have read and experienced .I just placed a order for some G-Skill ddr2 HZ's.I decided to purchase another set to make 4 gigs for upcoming build I have in mind price went up another $5.00 in a day and is now at $120. for a 2x1024 kit of the HZ's. just 2 weeks ago it was $105.
So,with kids going back to school soon and the Q-6600 priices being slashed to$266. now is the time to buy your ddr2 ram. just my .02 8)
Related resources
a b } Memory
June 28, 2007 7:26:40 PM

I have no official info as I do not deal with IC purchasing. However, I can't see RAM (of any type or size worth mentioning) EVER being much if any cheaper than it is now.
June 28, 2007 10:16:27 PM

Hey YellowBeard, yeah I understand what you are saying,but I read in other forums what "I think" to be a credible source that, his friend who works for Crucial said ddr2 prices were going up before summers end.
In my case it seems true(just for my Gskill HZ purchase at the egg)
But its not my intention to spread any FUD as Im have read and appreciate yourknowledgable input at the Abit forums and Anand forums
I am not above being wrong,but in the case of my purchase, the price has gone up.
don't mean to be off topic,but what is your opinion of that Abit IP-35 Pro for the Q-6600?
June 28, 2007 10:54:13 PM

We are experiencing historic low memory prices for DDR2. Last summer it was DDR that was at the same price point, only it was for 2X512MB modules. After that DDR climbed again. I suspect the same is going to happen with DDR2. For $90 it is worth it, especially if you are not going to oc the ram. I say go for it. I definitely would!
a b } Memory
June 28, 2007 11:07:18 PM

Quote:
Hey YellowBeard, yeah I understand what you are saying,but I read in other forums what "I think" to be a credible source that, his friend who works for Crucial said ddr2 prices were going up before summers end.
In my case it seems true(just for my Gskill HZ purchase at the egg)
But its not my intention to spread any FUD as Im have read and appreciate yourknowledgable input at the Abit forums and Anand forums
I am not above being wrong,but in the case of my purchase, the price has gone up.
don't mean to be off topic,but what is your opinion of that Abit IP-35 Pro for the Q-6600?
I think you and I are saying the same thing. DDR2 is almost certainly going to either stay stable for a bit and then go back up if the prices have not already started climbing. I don't follow pricing so, prices may in fact be on the way up as we type. As I said, I just cannot see it EVER being any cheaper than it has been for the past month or 2.

As to the ABIT, I hear they are fast and I just ordered one so I can validate some memory. However, I don't have a Quad yet so I cannot speak from experience. Mebbe work will allow me to buy a Quad :p  so I can validate that too!
June 28, 2007 11:19:19 PM

OMG! the price for my HZ's jumped $10.since last night at Newegg!it's now at $130. !!!
cool,I look forward to your results with the Abit! 8)
June 28, 2007 11:30:41 PM

Might as well buy it now while it's cheap.It'll only get more expensive as the months role by towards christmas.As for DDR3,well that won't be mainstream for some months yet.It's only just starting to come out on the market.I'm guessing early next year before we see DDR3 in the mainstream.Have fun.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
7950 GX2 560/1450
ACER 22IN. LCD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
80GIG/250gig SATA2 HD's
XP MCE
3DMARK05 14644
June 28, 2007 11:35:19 PM

Quote:
Thing is a 32bit OS can't use more than 2 GB of ram, but a 64bit OS can use all 4 GB of ram.
Actually, XP/Vista 32-bit will see about 3.25GB of RAM.
June 29, 2007 1:10:26 AM

Yeah I actually just found that out reading recently,last night ,(about XP/Vista 32bit seeing 3.25 gigs)after I just had cancelled my order for the second kit of ram. and ended up re-ordering em :tongue: .after tossing and turning in bed. Now I am really glad I did.

Yellow Beard, I probably will end up buying that IP-35 Pro too.unless that new mobo Fugger was talking about is worth waiting for... X-38?
I will upgrading from P-4 Northwood AGP to C2Quad and PCI E so this is kind exciting to say the least for me,as I am treading into unknown territory,carefully!8O
To the OP...GET YOUR RAM NOW, WHILE ITS CHEAP!!! :) 
a b } Memory
June 29, 2007 1:22:56 AM

Quote:
Yeah I actually just found that out reading recently,last night ,(about XP/Vista 32bit seeing 3.25 gigs)after I just had cancelled my order for the second kit of ram. and ended up re-ordering em :tongue: .after tossing and turning in bed. Now I am really glad I did.

Yellow Beard, I probably will end up buying that IP-35 Pro too.unless that new mobo Fugger was talking about is worth waiting for... X-38?
I will upgrading from P-4 Northwood AGP to C2Quad and PCI E so this is kind exciting to say the least for me,as I am treading into unknown territory,carefully!8O
To the OP...GET YOUR RAM NOW, WHILE ITS CHEAP!!! :) 
That is a quantum leap up, nice upgrade.
June 29, 2007 2:02:27 AM

Quote:
Thing is a 32bit OS can't use more than 2 GB of ram, but a 64bit OS can use all 4 GB of ram.
Actually, XP/Vista 32-bit will see about 3.25GB of RAM.

Sure Vista can "see" the 3.25GB of RAM, but won't "use" it as most programs don't require it. Even gaming won't need it, as with the graphics cards are almost at 1GB of RAM. That will free up even more system RAM. Its plain and simple,"4GB of RAM is overkill right now unless you doing lots of photo shop or designing websites."
a b } Memory
June 29, 2007 2:08:46 AM

A recent upgrade for Micron (MU) citing improving dram pricing and a another article about a clamp down on illegal importting of memory chips seems to indicate prices on an upswing.

XP will show between 2.8 and 3.6 Gigs with 4 Gigs installed. I purcuached a 2nd 2 Gigs for my system - worked fine (had to bump FSB and Gmch voltage up .1 Volts. My system (XP Pro showed 3.6 Gigs
June 29, 2007 2:25:59 AM

im just glad i got my 2x1gb crucial ddr2 1006 for 79.99 :D 
!