Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Matshita DVD RAM UJ-850S ATA Device problems

Last response: in Storage
June 28, 2007 8:23:49 AM

I have a sony Vaio laptop (vgn-n320E) Recently my driver failed for my dvd drive, When I first got the laptop I was able to install a few things and burn some CDs.

Now about a month later, I can't read or write CDs or DVDs.

My device manager for the CD/DVD ROM drives sais

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

The check for solutions button does nothing.

I uninstalled the driver and restarted my computer and it reinstalled the same one which once again doesnt work.

I do a driver update search and vista is telling me the driver is up to date.

I have checked sony updates with no such updates for CD/DVD rom drives.

I am clueless on where to check or how to repair this "corrupted" driver.
June 28, 2007 6:34:01 PM

No, the shared library did not work. Or fix it rather.

[EDIT]

I have fixed the problem, by Editing the system registry values and whatnot.

I was finally able to get online with a Sony guy and he linked me to this page.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2nwnqx
http://tinyurl.com/2nwnqx
For future reference.
Related resources
June 28, 2007 7:12:24 PM

This maybe totally off base here but I just had a similar situation....

Did you install any printers or other software recently?

This is what happened to me. I got the same error message from vista and it was because I installed a print driver from epson and that corrupted the dvd burner driver. A lot of drivers for Vista are not Vista certified and can cause problems.

For me, I was able to update the firmware of my Lite-on dvd drive and thus it was given a different driver and not cause a conflict.

Also, try doing a windows restore to a point when the dvd drive was working and keep track of any changes to any drivers. Hope this helps.
June 28, 2007 8:07:09 PM

Yes accually, I added a printer that was on the network. I thought it was odd becuase it was connected to another computer with the correct drivers (Also running Vista) It was a HP printer a few years old.
June 28, 2007 9:48:51 PM

I would try to do a vista restore and disconnect the printer and see if that helps --- or atleast uninstall that driver and see what happens

I got a lame response from Epson saying try installing on another machine... hopefully you won't be on your own like I was, but you can always look at the device manager and get the model of the dvd drive and go to the manufactuer and see if there is an update. Sony used to use Lite-on drives but i'm not sure about the new (or laptop) drives
July 15, 2007 10:10:25 AM

I have a Compaq Presario laptop (v6314EA) Recently my driver failed for my dvd drive, When I first got the laptop I was able to install a few things and burn some CDs.

Now about a month later, I can't read or write CDs or DVDs.

My device manager for the CD/DVD ROM drives sais

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

The check for solutions button does nothing.

I uninstalled the driver and restarted my computer and it reinstalled the same one which once again doesnt work.

I do a driver update search and vista is telling me the driver is up to date.

I have checked Compaq updates with no such updates for CD/DVD rom drives.

I am clueless on where to check or how to repair this "corrupted" driver.[/quotemsg]
July 15, 2007 10:35:23 AM

hi if anybody can help me in this problem please.
July 18, 2007 4:28:24 AM

Hi elpats

Follow this procedure to resolve the error if the optical drive is missing from Computer in the Microsoft® Windows Vista™ operating system.

WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. This procedure involves editing the Registry. Using the Registry editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require the operating system to be reinstalled and can result in the potential loss of data.

NOTE: A backup of the registry can be created.

Click the Start button, and then in the search box, type regedit.
Press the Enter key.
NOTE: If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password or click Continue.

In the Registry Editor window, in the left pane, double-click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder.
In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder, double-click the System folder.
In the System folder, double-click the CurrentControlSet folder.
In the CurrentControlSet folder, double-click the Control folder.
In the Control folder, double-click the Class folder.
In the Class folder, click to select the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} folder.
In the right pane, click to select the UpperFilters registry value.
On the menu bar, click Edit.
In the Edit menu, click Delete.
In the Confirm Value Delete dialog box, click the Yes button.
In the right pane, click to select the LowerFilters registry value.
NOTE: Do not delete the UpperFiltersBak or LowerFiltersBak registry values.

Close the Registry Editor window.
Restart the computer.

Best Regards/Othman Zalloum
July 18, 2007 7:48:44 PM

thanks Othman i experienced the same problem since today with my dvd ram uj 850s. for some reason my driver got corrupted. this has maybe something to do with vista updates, i edited my regedit like u said and its working fine now. thanks again
August 10, 2007 11:59:43 PM

othman. . .i ******* love you man :')
i bought a Vaio notebook refurbished and had the same problem
September 21, 2007 4:54:29 AM

I have a sony Vaio laptop (vgn-n320E). The registry edit worked perfect. Thanks Othman! Now I can play AOE 3 (No thanks to Sony or Micro-BEEP)
September 21, 2007 12:27:13 PM

I have a Toshiba notebook and the same problem. Windows Vista and I already tried the system restore to the earliest point no luck. Toshiba is telling me I need to go back to day 1 and lose everything. Can I do this? I really don't want to do the restore. I have not added any software but I took some off (remove) and I do the windows updates everytime they come up. It worked fine. Thanks a bunch!
September 23, 2007 10:38:40 AM

hi mojomo.. i have the same problem as yours.. can you teach me on how to make it work again..
November 6, 2007 12:10:41 AM

Thanks a lot Othman, your fix worked for my Toshiba Satellite A135. That helped prevented a complete system recovery which would reformat the hard drive.
November 10, 2007 11:38:05 AM

Othman,
Thanks for your help, but my reg key doesn't have a upperfiltersbak or lowerfiltersbak values. Can this be fixed?
Thanks,
Harry
December 11, 2007 9:51:46 PM

Othman Zalloum said:
Hi elpats

Follow this procedure to resolve the error if the optical drive is missing from Computer in the Microsoft® Windows Vista™ operating system.

WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. This procedure involves editing the Registry. Using the Registry editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require the operating system to be reinstalled and can result in the potential loss of data.

Press the Enter key.
NOTE: If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password or click Continue.

In the Registry Editor window, in the left pane, double-click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder.
In the Class folder, click to select the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} folder.

Restart the computer.

December 11, 2007 9:53:37 PM

Othman,
Thanks for your detail and easy instructions, it worked like a charm.
Alinnear
April 20, 2008 3:31:28 AM

:hello:  Thanks for your posting. I have the same error on my Laptop. I printed out the information and will work on it tomorrow. Too beat to start on it now.
April 20, 2008 6:20:15 PM

Hello again;
I followed the instructions "elpats" had noted above , which Sony's rep had provided to him. It helped solved my problem. The only difference with me was that I didn't have a lower filter. Thanks for the tip!!
April 21, 2008 10:19:00 PM

I just started having problems with my VAIO just the other day. My CD Drive cannot read any CDs or DVDs. I followed the steps above and my CD drive started working... But now I cannot burn any CDs or DVDs. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?
April 25, 2008 11:49:59 AM

I'm having the same problem as CTR.

I followed the fix provided above and was very happy to see the driver worked when I inserted a music CD. The frustrations came rolling back when I tried to burn files from my hard drive though.

The device will not read cd's which have files burned from another computer either. It sees it like a blank and asks if I want to burn something onto it when I know there is info on the disc already.
May 1, 2008 5:22:43 PM

hi;
I have a sony Vaio laptop (VGN-N220E) Recently my driver does not work and it cannot read or write dvd;
in fact when i open my computer explorer, there is no any icon of cd-ram driver.and when i enter a dvd or cd media center sais windows does not detect any dvd, please enter a dvd !
how can i solve this problem?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 1, 2008 6:06:57 PM

Othman Zalloum said:
Hi elpats

Press the Enter key.

Restart the computer.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 1, 2008 6:08:46 PM

you are great othman so much for sony and the lot
thanks a mill
June 6, 2008 7:25:37 PM

It's simply fabulous! I'd been unsuccessully through all sorts of processes. Very good solution post!Now i'm still here pondering over what caused the system disfunction :D 
Othman Zalloum said:
Hi elpats

Press the Enter key.

Restart the computer.

July 3, 2008 3:42:37 AM

I just had the same thing happen yesterday after I loaded software for a Samsung video camera, I have a Toshiba Satelite A210 laptop. Can I use the same procedure to fix the DVD driver.

Thanks
July 24, 2008 10:37:05 PM

I just want to add my thanks...had the same problem on my laptop...follwed the instructions and bingo...got dvd/cd player back...Thanks a bunch
August 4, 2008 3:33:32 PM

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FE890 laptop. I have the exact problem. I followed the directions and the dvd/cd works but I lose part of the iTunes program. When I then fix the iTunes I'm back to the original problem of the "missing" dvd/cd burner/player.

All of this started when I installed the software for my Ion TTUSB turntable, which includes iTunes. BTW I am having similar but different problems on my Dell computer with XP.
August 10, 2008 7:07:42 PM

Folks,

M'Lady's Sony VAIO is also Vista. She just started having the same problem (no DVD drive working - Matshita UJ-850s). It seemed to coincide with her Apple iTunes update. I followed your suggestion on editing the Registry, then the DVD drive worked. HOWEVER, when iTunes software was started, she could not burn any music. iTunes said her registry had been modified and that iTunes needed to be reloaded. SO, we reloaded iTunes which started the whole problem over again (no DVD/CD drive). So, our present choice is edit the Registry to get the DVD drive working, but she canot burn any music from iTunes. Any other ideas from the expert folks here?

Thanks,
Doc
August 19, 2008 12:09:51 PM

I also have this DVD drive and I can read and write CDs, and play DVDs but cannot WRITE DVDs. I used to be able to. I have win2000prof NOT xp.

Please help
August 19, 2008 12:22:42 PM

BHOTCH - Any luck with your fix on the drive/iTunes issue? I have same problem with iTunes. I can have a working drive as long as I don't want to burn any music from iTunes. I can still read into iTunes, though?

DAWNP - I can read and write data, but cannot write music from iTunes (CD or DVD).

Doc :??: 
September 11, 2008 4:01:50 PM

I am new to this site and dont know a lot about computers. I just recently installed Itunes to my laptop and then my Matshita UJ-850s driver didn't work. I followed Othman's directions for regedit and it worked perfectly. Now, when I start Itunes up, the correct registries are missing to run it properly. Is the solution to simply not run itunes on a laptop and just on desktop?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Kris
September 15, 2008 4:04:25 AM

i am new to this site too and do not know a lot about computers. for some reason when i installed itunes in my laptop my matshita dvd-ram uj-85os ATA device does not want to work. but as soon as i uninstall itunes, it works. can anyone assist me please? i need to have my itunes in order to work my iphone (sync calendar, music, etc.).

if anyone can assist me please!!!! thank you in advance.
October 1, 2008 1:26:07 PM

Hi,
I have an IBM R50 which is running XP SP3. The Matshita DVD UJ850s is turnng out to be as much of a disappointment as the UJ811 Matshita in that it can burn CDs but DVDs? Forget it!
Now I read this editing in the registry which may disable iTunes and who cares if that happens? So I am going to try and see what happens.
One thing about Matshita though SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!
Support from Panasonic, maybe just give up hope on that as well.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 8, 2008 10:55:58 PM

i brought this game called tom clancy rainbow six vegas 2 and i installed all and it says you have the recommended pc for it then i pressed play and it says in this rectangle error box:

'insert cd/drive and restart application'

I dont get it the disk was in my laptop so i dont know why its not playing can someone help me plz i have this 'MATSHITA DVD+-RW UJ-875S ATA Device' can you play games on it?

can someone help me ty

October 25, 2008 11:05:35 AM

not sure if anyone is still updating on this thread but here goes.

My cd/dvd drive won't burn data (appears to format blank disks but not much else). I have a Toshiba Satellite A100 running vista, I have recently run an upgrade and now have problems.

I tried the fix by Othman above but don't have Upper/Lower Filters.

Does anyone know what I should do now?

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 11, 2008 3:55:12 PM

Hey i cant find the filters on the right pane to select the UpperFilters registry value.???
What can i do ???????? please help
November 12, 2008 6:07:18 PM

Hi guys, i have the same problem - toshiba A100 with vista home premium, after reinstalling the system my matSHITa doesn't see any dvds. It works with some cds (reads them, sometimes even burns them, but not always).

Reinstalling the driver doesn't help - the system finds and install the same one and says it's the best one available. I wanted to try your way, but there are no UpperFilters or LowerFilters in my registry. The only value of REG_MULTI_SZ type is IconPath.

Any clues what should i do? All help will be most appreciated.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 23, 2008 2:58:43 PM

I dont know about any of you but my matshita dvd-ram uj-850S ATA drive will burn and read blank cds but when ever I put in say a music cd or a dvd that is store bought it reads them then just spits them back out I cant even play them or anything. But you can see all the tracks and the band name and song names from the cd come up in windows media player then bam it just ejects the disc before I can even use it. Any help would be great. I am running a toshiba satellite with vista home premium, nothin new has been installed. this just came out of nowhere. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
December 1, 2008 7:19:13 PM

I have an Acer L3600 and had the same problem. First time Acer made me send back the computer and it was gone for approx a week to 10 days. Now a few weeks later the problem has happened again. Acer's response - send the computer back again. Thanks to your site I have fixed the problem myself, and I am for the most part computer illiterate. I can Google things and get answers and that is about it, which is how I found your site. Cannot beleive it, your advice and very clear instructions have fixed the problem, and all is working well again. Mine was a little different, I did not have the HKEY_LOCAL _MACHINE folder, as such, there were a couple of HKEY folders there but they did not lead me to the file you were talking about, then I noticed that thie file 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 folder was actually just sitting there in amongst a whole heap of other similar folders, I just checked the number was correct then followd your instructions. I had no lower filters registry to dlete though, but just deleting the uppers filters registry worked beautifully. Thank you so very much, cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help. Shame Acer, and Matshita and Microsoft could not be so helpful or give out such clear and easy to follow advise.
December 10, 2008 8:17:32 PM

zenyth said:
not sure if anyone is still updating on this thread but here goes.

My cd/dvd drive won't burn data (appears to format blank disks but not much else). I have a Toshiba Satellite A100 running vista, I have recently run an upgrade and now have problems.

I tried the fix by Othman above but don't have Upper/Lower Filters.

Does anyone know what I should do now?

Thanks in advance.

re my earlier message - does anyone have any further suggestions please as I am still unable to burn any discs
December 30, 2008 2:58:44 AM

so i have read through everything everybody had to say and im part of the group, my uj-850s matshita dvd drive on my acer 5100 will not be recognized by the computer in any way, so i took the advice of editing the registry but as i followed the instructions i have no upper or lower filter registry values in the suggested folder, any suggestions or fixes to my particular quarell?
December 30, 2008 1:41:18 PM

Dear Othman and others

Do you know if the (Othman's method of editing the registry) method works for WinXP and IE7? Please help. My Matshita DVD RAM UJ850S ATA device can play DVD movies and play audio CD fine but it cannot read data CDs i.e. softwares/installation CDs? Why? Please help me.

PT
January 2, 2009 7:50:26 PM

I need help on this also. Mine reads DVD fine but it is unable to read CDs. It says it is a blank media. Please help, would be greatly appreciated.

John
January 14, 2009 10:46:13 PM

Similar problems here - CD/DVD drive keeps disappearing, very hit and miss. I just tried the above Regedit fix and it worked, but when I restarted it disappeared again. I have been working on this for DAYS. It is so frustrating.
January 16, 2009 2:57:06 AM

I've a Sony Vaio VGN FE880E using a Matshita UJ-850S DVD burner drive. I used to be able to burn CDs and DVDs.

Not any more.

I can still read most CDs and DVDs. Except a few types, where it says that the DVD is empty/blank/new and offers to burn something on it. But it refuses to burn anything... CDs, DVDs, of any brand or type.

I don't know exactly what caused it or when it happened (I rarely burn CDs and DVDs), but the approximate time is after my machine automatically upgraded to SP1 of Vista Home Premium.

Apparently, I have the latest driver software (see screenshot below):

I contacted Sony support and they gave me their stock response - restore to factory settings. I don't want to do that since it will destroy my carefully customized system (and it's no guarantee that the problem wasn't caused by Vista Home Premium SP1) and I'll have to reinstall years of stuff.

I've tried all the usual suggestions including:
* Delete upper and lower filters
* Delete the device from the device list and reinstall it
* Deleted all software that could've interfered with the driver
* The only DVD/CD burner on my system is now iTunes (hence the GEAR driver)

Has anyone else faced this problem? And found a solution?

Does anyone have a working version of this drive (one that also burns DVDs)? If so, could you please post/send your driver settings? What are the driver files that work including version numbers and locations?

Thanks in advance.
January 20, 2009 12:53:56 AM

Thanks Othman! This worked perfectly on my Sony Vaio running Vista.

- Jean Adams
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 31, 2009 1:16:04 AM

I have a Toshiba Satellite A205-S4587 Laptop and the Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-850S ATA Device CD- DVD stopped working after I downloaded a Broderbund printshop software (supposed to be Vista compatible). Anyway, I had an error code 10, and instead of trying to download a driver, or mess with the registry, I uninstalled the printshop program, and did a system restore. That worked, the drive is now working properly. :) 

-Patti C
February 1, 2009 2:45:44 AM

:hello:  This is brilliant stuff my friend and I wish my head had the computer knowledge that yours does. A question; how can I tell which types of dual-layer DVD my Matshita will burn? In fact which discs (CD or DVD) are the best to burn in my Matshita? Do you know anything about which brand of DVD and CD are the best quality for longevity and success rate in burning applications as I have used several brands and have trouble with them all - some RWs dont work a second time even when I erase or re-format them. I am new to this field and need some sage advice and of all the articels I've read your seems the most knowledgeable by far.
Sincerely,
Mr.JJC Bradshaw

Othman Zalloum said:
Hi elpats

Press the Enter key.

Restart the computer.

!