Sign in with
Your question

Cpu and graphic for cad-cam system

Last response: in Applications
July 22, 2011 8:31:07 PM

Hi,

I am at evaluating CPU and graphic card for CAD-CAM system, I need to build a workstaion to do CAD-CAM application and i have these questions that need a bit of brainstorming:

-1 witch CPU would you recommande these day between I7-970 and Xeon E5507/2 or e5506/2

-2 for graphic card i have good experience with NVDIA now should i look at ATI and witch would you recommend?

thanks for your feedback

Legafeur
July 22, 2011 8:50:55 PM

First of all, before any recommendations, please state your budget. Honestly I wouldn't recommend either of those CPU's.

As well, are you looking for advice on a whole system? Or are you just doing an upgrade.

It's hard to recommend a graphics card without the budget either. I could recommend a $5000 quadro card... but if your budget is only 1k... it's kind of pointless.
August 25, 2011 9:49:48 PM

Comes down to budget really. New build, upgrade? A good video card is always a must but when it comes to 3D content/creation your best bet would be to use either Nvidia's Quadro or ATI's/AMD's Firepro line for professional cards.
October 3, 2011 1:50:45 PM

legafeur said:
Hi,

I am at evaluating CPU and graphic card for CAD-CAM system, I need to build a workstaion to do CAD-CAM application and i have these questions that need a bit of brainstorming:

-1 witch CPU would you recommande these day between I7-970 and Xeon E5507/2 or e5506/2

-2 for graphic card i have good experience with NVDIA now should i look at ATI and witch would you recommend?

thanks for your feedback

Legafeur

Don't look only for "workstation" labels. They mislead the regular "worker" who has no It knowledge.

I do not recommend neither CPU too. I recommend the i5-2500k for you, regardless of budget.

The graphics card is a bit more complicated without the budget. But don't get a Quadro please.
!