Sign in with
Your question

2nd hardrive not recognised anymore

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 28, 2007 10:14:14 AM

So I upgraded my CPU/Mobo (also GPU and RAM, tho unrelated). My main HDD is a 80gb seagate where my OS is installed. The other is a 500GB WD HDD where I had changed my My Documents directory to. It contains all my important stuff now. I pulled out the old parts and put in the new ones and restarted. After some headaches, I got the drivers set up and internet working, but I haven't been able to access the 500gb HDD. My old shortcuts to it say it is "unformatted" and asks me if I want to format it now. Naturally, I decline it. Under My computer it is simply listed as D:, whereas it used to be G:

I know I didn't exactly do this hardware upgrade by the book and skipped a lot of backup steps and now I'm paying for it, but is there any way to make Win2K recognize my other HDD again without any data loss?

PS It was partitioned, one small one of 20gb (F:) , which was empty and unformatted and the rest was used for storage.

More about : 2nd hardrive recognised anymore

June 28, 2007 11:18:37 AM

Go to run>compmgmt.msc>storage> and here you should be able to "import" the drive...

Good Luck!
June 28, 2007 11:48:55 AM

I don't see an import option. Did you mean I should mount it? There is an option to mount NTFS volume to the C: drive, is that what I should do?
Related resources
June 28, 2007 1:17:22 PM

Mount sounds ok; but I don't quite get why it says to the C: drive? Could you assign it another letter? I don't think you want to mount it on your system drive...

edit: mounting it on your system drive would assign a path to your drive; you could do that to access it I guess, but thats not the solution to this problem. I keep you up to date when I have an idea...
June 28, 2007 8:32:43 PM

Thank you aziraphale, however the import function didn't work. It says it couldnt complete the operation.

In windows drive management it sees 2 partitions on it, but not the right sizes and the second partition is "unallocated". The first partition has no file system listed.

Does anyone know how to get my drive back? I have all my photos on this drive, it's very important to me.
June 28, 2007 8:48:55 PM

Ok. The import and mount thingy hasn't worked. And it can be complicated, I know. So far I have no other suggestions for you for the setup you have right now.

Input from experienced pros is needed for that one.

But don't dispair. Do you have a second system to where you could attach the drive? some external HD enclosure so you could try plugging it via USB to another PC?

Just don't experiment too much and too hastily if your data is really important to you.

The nice folks here will have another idea; I'm sure of that.
June 28, 2007 10:43:13 PM

I found a program called PC Inspector File Recovery. It can see most of the files and folders on there, but for some stupid reason, exactly the My Documents folder doesnt show any content!

30gb of videos show up, but not my vital photos, ah the irony...

I've started the Lost File search on the program, but of course this will take many hours to run. If anyone can think of something, I would appreciate it.
June 28, 2007 10:57:17 PM

Are you sure Windoze has not changed the location of you doc's folder back to default?

For the future: don't let Windows manage the location where you store your important data to. Always use a dedicated partition/drive and manage the the storage location yourself. So you'll know where the important stuff is. And BACK IT UP. On another drive, on another machine. Use a dedicated external harddrive for that purpose. And be redundant.

Most probably your data isn't lost. I guess it is still on that drive. So be patient and wait for another reply from someone who has a better idea than I have.

Good luck pal.
June 29, 2007 2:39:41 AM

Well, since it can't access the second HDD, windows did create a new my documents folder on the C: drive. The reason they are on my second HDD was because I intended to back it up that way. I'll definately be using an external option next time.

The recovery program has found all the files that are missing. They're all named by the cluster they are located on, but the file extensions are still the same. I saved one to the C: drive and it's entirely intact.

I suppose I can go through all these files manually, but considering there's 18k files, that will take some time.

I'll get started on that, but I hope that in the meantime some more advice comes in. Thanks for your help so far aziraphale.

I just had a thought. If I revert my hardware to what it was before, will windows then be able to grab the files off there without problems?
June 29, 2007 3:32:15 AM

It seems most of these "cluster" files are not whole files, I'm guessing because clusters can only hold so much data.

I don't understand why windows all of a sudden can't see a hardrive just because I change some hardware around. Shouldn't it be as simple as pointing at the drive and telling it to use it?
June 29, 2007 1:38:06 PM

I have SpinRite 6. Would it be safe to run that in mode 2 (Data Recovery)? I'm not sure how SpinRite works, so I don't want it to start messing stuff up even more.
June 29, 2007 1:56:48 PM

I notice that this is Win2k which suggests your previous m/b could have been quite old. Did it have some proprietry method for handling big drives? If it's still operational I would be inclined to try and get it running somehow and plug your 500GB drive in to it.
a b G Storage
June 29, 2007 6:32:38 PM

was the 500 gig drive setup as dynamic? This could be the problem.
June 29, 2007 7:48:04 PM

I had a similar problem recently, after loads (we're talking several hours) of digging around I found this:

Partition Table Doctor

The trial version doesn't do a great deal (scans for lost partitions, errors), but the full version solved the issue perfectly (no issues since).
July 3, 2007 1:28:17 AM

Quote:
was the 500 gig drive setup as dynamic? This could be the problem.

No. At least, I don't recall ever setting it as such when I installed it.

@ Lachy Junior: My previous mobo was an ABIT NF7-S Revision 2.0; the SATA interface was through a Sil 3112 Controller built into the motherboard.

My next step is to run Spinrite 6.0[/u] and let it work some magic, unless I get advise from anyone else, recommending me not to. Am I correct in assuming this program is appropriate for my situation? Thanks for all the replies so far.
July 20, 2007 10:25:08 AM

I had a similar problem with my 500Gb drive on windows 2000.. iT shows up as 130Gb and when u try to access it in windows explorer.. it says.. :"the drive is not formatted... do u wish to format it .. yes.. no.. ".

I think the problem is perhaps connected to windows 2000 capacity to handle large drives.. upgrading to a newer version of windows might help.. surprisingly linux was able to correctly detect the size of the hard disk..

my 2 cents...

Samir _o/
!