Realtek Media Test Failure

Tags:
  • Windows XP
June 22, 2005 3:30:25 AM

I recently picked up an HP ZD7000 that had its hard drive wiped
according to who I got it from. Anyway, when I first tried booting it
up it came up with a screen reading:

Intel Undi PXE-20 (build 082)

For Realtek RTL8139(x)/8130/810x PCI Fast Ethernet Controller
PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, check cable
PXE-MOF Exiting PXE Rom

After which it would flash and restart the process, printing out the
error message once again. Going into the bios and resetting to default,
reboot doing the same thing. Going back into the Bios to change the boot
order, I've played around with the order and settings. When I disable
the Network Card in the boot up procedure I get a blank black screen
with only a

_

In the top left corner. I'm unable to call up the menu to enter safe
mode but I'm guessing thats due to it being a laptop. If I press any
other keys or functions while the screen is blank like that, I see a
quick flash of the words 'No Operating System Installed'. I've run the
quick Hard Drive test in the bios and it passed, running the long test
now. I've had the recovery disk in the drive the whole time and even
with the HD wiped it should at least let me get to a dos prompt.

I'm down to a few more options here unless somebody has something new,
I'm wondering if I have to get a USB floppy to try a bootdisk on. And
then the other option seems to be picking up a new Optical Drive.
Arggh... anybody have any suggestions?

--
Immortal780Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

More about : realtek media test failure

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 6:08:00 PM

I once had a similar problem with a Sony VAIO laptop. After several searches on the internet
the common answer was that the message was related to a bad harddrive. Once I replaced the
harddrive I was able to install the operating system.

!