Armanox

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
Hello!

I have 2 SATA Hitachi-s of 160 Gb and want to make a RAID0 array. Can anyone explain how to make it work (step by step pls) or post a link where i can find some info about it.

I searched almost everywhere but it seems there is no guide of how to do it with my GA 965 DS3 (rev 3.3)

Thx to any1 who can help

lfranklin

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
I have the rev 1.3 version, so I'm assuming it would be the same process. I had troubles at first. Then the light bulb turned on above my head when I realized I wasn't plugging my SATA cables into the right SATA ports on the MB. First, you need to connect it to the CORRECT SATA plugs on the MB. That would be the one NOT controlled by the Intel chipset. You should have four yellowish colored ports and two purplish colored ports. I believe you want to connect to the purplish port. If you don't do this correctly, then you won't see the RAID BIOS screen after the post. Once you connect to the correct port, you will get the RAID BIOS screen. From here on out, it is pretty straightforward from the manual: http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support...ownloadFile.aspx?FileType=Manual&FileID=17848.

First you need to get into your BIOS and set your "Onboard SATA /IDE Ctrl Mode" to "RAID/IDE". Reboot. After the post, you get a screen detailing your hard drives, press "Ctrl-G" to get into to the RAID BIOS screen. This is were you would create your raid. This is simple and the following screens are self explanatory. Your first option is "Create RAID Disk Drive". Select that. I think it defaults to RAID-0. If that is what you want, I think you can just click enter through the rest of the screens. Then reboot into your OS install. You want to press "F6" right off the bat when you see at the bottom "Press F6 if you need to install a 3rd party SCSI or RAID driver.". At this point, you may need to go to a spare machine, throw in your CD that came with the MB and pull the SATA drivers off of it to a Floppy Drive. This is in the MANUAL in the section "(4) Making a SATA Driver Disk". The MANUAL also explains another way of getting to it as well. Back on the PC with the OS install, you get a screen with "S=Specify Additional Device" at the bottom. Put your Floppy in, and press "S". Next you get a screen (which mine differed from what was in the manual) but you want to select one that has "RAID" in the option and the version of windows you have. If I recall, the only choices I had referenced "GBB363" in all of them. Anyways, yours may differ as well but again, select one with "RAID" and the version of windows you are installing. Press Enter and sit back.

angelkiller

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
I also have a DS3 (3.3) and a working RAID 0 array. I can verify everything that lfranklin said. So if you have any questions, I can help too. Good Luck! :)

PSYCHoHoLiC

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
I have a DS3, an early one.. 1.0 that i bought with my e6300 in August of 2006, my Raid 0 array is working flawlessly ( 2 X 250GB 7200.10's) To me, the hardest part was deciding on a stripe size, i finally decided on 64K after some testing.

Armanox

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
I just spent a few hours on trying to make it work but no way.

My problem looks like this:

I do exactly whats in the manual and what i was told. Made a raid0 array and then tryed to install windows.
Problems with win vista: After the setup finishes its reboots my machine and when the loading line appears, after a few seconds i get BSOD and sistem reboots again. I tryed to boot in safemode but it stuck at some file i dont know the name anymore but it has something to do with the disk drivers or something similiar, then BSOD and restart again.

Problem with Win XP: After i installed the additional driver for RAID, the setup copys the files needed for the installation but thats it. The installation restarts then and where the setup shoud boot from the array and continue the setup BSOD again...

I really dont know whats wrong ( just removed the raid and installed win to come here and ask u guys)

Its not my first time i did raid (on a nforce3 i made it in 1h working flawlessly) but here i really dont know what to do.

Please help :(

lfranklin

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
Very interesting. I wonder if the brand of the HD has anything to do with it. I have two 250G western digitals in mine and i had no problems through the setup.

Armanox

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
I did it I DID IT

A new bios and the last raid driver from gigabyte-s homepage and everything works flawless :D

Thank u everyone who helped here, in the end googe did the job and got me back to the link above.

I appreciate ur effort

thx again :trophy: