It looks like bob lost another one

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 23, 2005 4:32:29 PM

> Atlanta Subway Cars to Have Televisions

> ATLANTA - It gives must-see TV a whole new meaning. The Metropolitan
> Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority says it will be the first subway
> system in North America to have its rail cars equipped with
> televisions.
>

> By spring, 115 MARTA cars will each have five 15-inch televisions
> aboard for passengers to watch while traveling. Each television will
> be tuned to news programming from Atlanta's ABC affiliate, WSB-TV.
> Eventually, all the authority's 300 rail cars will have televisions.
>
> Audio for the newscasts will be available through any FM radio, and
> as the rules state on placards throughout the subway cars, all audio
> devices must be used with headphones. The system also will be able to
> convey emergency information.
>
> The televisions will have closed captioning, and the audio will be
> provided in English or Spanish. If riders don't feel like watching,
> they can tune in to one of three on-train music channels.
>
> Sound expensive? Not to MARTA.
>
> The subway system will make money off the deal, said spokesman
> Michael McCullough of New York-based The Rail Network, which will
> provide the televisions and software for free. MARTA will get a cut
> of the revenue from the advertising on the televisions and the
> on-train music channels.
>
> The public-private partnership has signed a 10-year contract, and
> some of the advertisers that have already hopped aboard include
> MetroPCS, Chevrolet, Cadillac and American InterContinental
> University.

Check out The Rail Network's website:

<http://therailnetwork.com/main_index.html&gt;

It appears that the future of mobile mass transit TV in the US is not
going to be OTA COFDM on US DTV channels.

If bob's company, Viacel, is going to compete, bob should be spending
more time on his business and less on usenet.

Check out Viacel's website

<http://www.viacel.com/&gt;

I wonder why The Rail Network is installing systems and Viacel is not?

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?

More about : bob lost

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 4:38:32 PM

Matthew L. Martin wrote:
> It appears that the future of mobile mass transit TV in the US is not

> going to be OTA COFDM on US DTV channels.
>
> If bob's company, Viacel, is going to compete, bob should be spending

> more time on his business and less on usenet.
>
> Check out Viacel's website
>
> <http://www.viacel.com/&gt;
>
> I wonder why The Rail Network is installing systems and Viacel is
not?

The Viacel website has got to be one of the worst websites I've ever
seen....certainly the least informative.

BOOBY doesn't seem to do anything right....he's not even a good liar
but he's still our best resident Snake Oil Salesman!

I just can't wait for the BOOBSTER spin on this. Put on your neckbrace,
it's going to be a rough ride! :)
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:50:00 AM

All 802.11g based. All COFDM. Programming updated during the day during
stops at stations. All possible because we do not have a mobile DTV
system in the US yet.

Bob Miller

Matthew L. Martin wrote:

>> Atlanta Subway Cars to Have Televisions
>

>> ATLANTA - It gives must-see TV a whole new meaning. The Metropolitan
>> Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority says it will be the first subway
>> system in North America to have its rail cars equipped with
>> televisions.
>>

>> By spring, 115 MARTA cars will each have five 15-inch televisions
>> aboard for passengers to watch while traveling. Each television will
>> be tuned to news programming from Atlanta's ABC affiliate, WSB-TV.
>> Eventually, all the authority's 300 rail cars will have televisions.
>>
>> Audio for the newscasts will be available through any FM radio, and
>> as the rules state on placards throughout the subway cars, all audio
>> devices must be used with headphones. The system also will be able to
>> convey emergency information.
>>
>> The televisions will have closed captioning, and the audio will be
>> provided in English or Spanish. If riders don't feel like watching,
>> they can tune in to one of three on-train music channels.
>>
>> Sound expensive? Not to MARTA.
>>
>> The subway system will make money off the deal, said spokesman
>> Michael McCullough of New York-based The Rail Network, which will
>> provide the televisions and software for free. MARTA will get a cut
>> of the revenue from the advertising on the televisions and the
>> on-train music channels.
>>
>> The public-private partnership has signed a 10-year contract, and
>> some of the advertisers that have already hopped aboard include

>> MetroPCS, Chevrolet, Cadillac and American InterContinental
>> University.
>>

> Check out The Rail Network's website:
>
> <http://therailnetwork.com/main_index.html&gt;
>
> It appears that the future of mobile mass transit TV in the US is not
> going to be OTA COFDM on US DTV channels.
>
> If bob's company, Viacel, is going to compete, bob should be spending
> more time on his business and less on usenet.
>
> Check out Viacel's website
>
> <http://www.viacel.com/&gt;
>
> I wonder why The Rail Network is installing systems and Viacel is not?

February 24, 2005 2:50:01 AM

Bob Miller wrote:
> All 802.11g based. All COFDM. Programming updated during the day during
> stops at stations. All possible because we do not have a mobile DTV
> system in the US yet.

And pretty clear proof that we don't need one.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
February 24, 2005 8:58:16 PM

"Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote in message
>> Atlanta Subway Cars to Have Televisions
>> ATLANTA - It gives must-see TV a whole new meaning. The Metropolitan
>> Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority says it will be the first subway
>> system in North America to have its rail cars equipped with televisions.
>> By spring, 115 MARTA cars will each have five 15-inch televisions
>> aboard for passengers to watch while traveling. Each television will
>> be tuned to news programming from Atlanta's ABC affiliate, WSB-TV.
>> Eventually, all the authority's 300 rail cars will have televisions.
>> Audio for the newscasts will be available through any FM radio, and
>> as the rules state on placards throughout the subway cars, all audio
>> devices must be used with headphones. The system also will be able to
>> convey emergency information.
>> The televisions will have closed captioning, and the audio will be
>> provided in English or Spanish. If riders don't feel like watching,
>> they can tune in to one of three on-train music channels.
>> Sound expensive? Not to MARTA.
>> The subway system will make money off the deal, said spokesman
>> Michael McCullough of New York-based The Rail Network, which will
>> provide the televisions and software for free. MARTA will get a cut
>> of the revenue from the advertising on the televisions and the
>> on-train music channels.
>> The public-private partnership has signed a 10-year contract, and
>> some of the advertisers that have already hopped aboard include
>> MetroPCS, Chevrolet, Cadillac and American InterContinental
>> University.
> Check out The Rail Network's website:
>
> <http://therailnetwork.com/main_index.html&gt;
>
> It appears that the future of mobile mass transit TV in the US is not
> going to be OTA COFDM on US DTV channels.
> If bob's company, Viacel, is going to compete, bob should be spending more
> time on his business and less on usenet.
> Check out Viacel's website
> <http://www.viacel.com/&gt;
> I wonder why The Rail Network is installing systems and Viacel is not?
-- > Matthew
>I'm a contractor. If you want an opinion, I'll sell you one.
> Which one do you want?

I just saw a news piece on CBS TV talking about the exact same system here
in NYC.

(They were interviewing subway passengers and all of them were saying, "Who
the hell needs it?". LOL...)

Anyway, Bob posted here awhile ago:
"We (Viacel) expect to have ubiquitous coverage in the subway system of
NYC...".

I've done an internet (and current news) search for "Viacel" and "subway"
(or "MTA"), and there were no results. :-(
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:26:12 PM

David wrote:

> I've done an internet (and current news) search for "Viacel" and "subway"
> (or "MTA"), and there were no results. :-(

With the amount of time bob spends on usenet, I have no doubt that his
business will (has?) fail(ed).

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 11:49:53 PM

David wrote:
> I just saw a news piece on CBS TV talking about the exact same system
here
> in NYC.
>
> (They were interviewing subway passengers and all of them were
saying, "Who
> the hell needs it?". LOL...)
>
> Anyway, Bob posted here awhile ago:
> "We (Viacel) expect to have ubiquitous coverage in the subway system
of
> NYC...".
>
> I've done an internet (and current news) search for "Viacel" and
"subway"
> (or "MTA"), and there were no results. :-(

Now now David, we know that the BOOBSTER never lies! :)
!