Sign in with
Your question

Red x

Last response: in Windows Vista
June 12, 2010 3:50:12 AM

Hello,
I used a application to recover some pictures I accidentally and now when I try to open the photos, I just get the little red X. Is there something I can do?

More about : red

June 13, 2010 3:19:24 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

The red X just means that the photo wasn't recovered successfully.
m
l
June 14, 2010 6:07:11 AM

Do you know of a application that I maybe able to recover the photos? The app I used says the pictures were recovered successfully.
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2010 3:22:46 PM

It sounds like the program trying to open the picture is missing a codec or something.

You can right click on that red x, and try 'show picture.'

You likely just need to reinstall your picture manager.

Make sure the extension on the photo is compatible with your image viewer. Some common extensions are .gif, .jpeg, .tif, .bmp
m
l
June 25, 2010 1:18:03 PM

Thanks Aford10,

I've reinstall the photo manager. I'm running Window Vista. The drive I recovered the photos from was reformatted and it was originally the C: drive before I upgraded the my hard drive to a 500G, now the original drive is E:. I've tried several different recovery software and some shows that photo were not recovered successful but I'm still unable to open the ones that are saying they were recovered successfully. Any other ideas?
m
l
July 3, 2010 2:35:13 AM

I've tried both of those software plus a couple of others. Even the file that are said to have been recovered successfully aren't opening.
m
l
July 3, 2010 2:45:33 AM

Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing? That may be helpful.
m
l
July 10, 2010 3:58:08 AM

I'm not seeing anything but the white box with the red X in the center of the image.
m
l
July 10, 2010 4:12:57 AM

A screenshot of what you are seeing may help. However, I suspect the problem may lie with the files themselves.
m
l
!