kenr77

Distinguished
May 22, 2007
I am about to order a whole system, and have a Question about AMD X2 CPU's. Besides not having a stock CPU Fan are there any other differences between getting a Retail CPU vs. an OEM CPU.??? Are the OEM CPU's Binned differently, if so, in what way..???? Is there a tolerance specification difference...????

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
The differences are no HSF, warranty, packaging, price and manuals. The OEM's warranty is usually 1 month~ to 6 month~, they're not as long as the retail packages which last few years. The OEM CPU doesn't come in shiny boxes. The price of the OEM CPU are usually cheaper and doesn't come with a manual which you won't need if you did some simple research.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I am about to order a whole system, and have a Question about AMD X2 CPU's. Besides not having a stock CPU Fan are there any other differences between getting a Retail CPU vs. an OEM CPU.??? Are the OEM CPU's Binned differently, if so, in what way..???? Is there a tolerance specification difference...????

The OEM will have a 90 day warrenty and the retail will have a 3 year warrenty.
I always go with the boxed item as it is only a few $ more and I OC the hell out of things.

The 939 socket Optrons are solid and cheep right now,are a much better deal and with some DDR1-500 (and OC it) will blast away the fastest DDR2 in Read/Write/Copy/Latency by as much as 1,000MBps.

Other than better preformance the money saved pays for your top end GFX card when looking at top end Corsair/OCZ DDR2 ram.

The move from DDR2 to DDR3 is just as sad as DDR2 will always best DDR3 in the same transfer tests.

If you want solid and best OC MB look at DFI.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
The differences are no HSF, warranty, packaging, price and manuals. The OEM's warranty is usually 1 month~ to 6 month~
The OEM will have a 90 day warrenty and the retail will have a 3 year warrenty.

News to me. Every OEM I ever bought had a 1 year warrenty. Both AMD and Intel still have 1 year warrenties on oems according to these examples. Who are you guys buying your stuff from? Via?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3001041&body=WARRANTY
This product has a limited warranty of:
12 months for parts and 12 months for labor.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2643933&body=WARRANTY

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Are the OEM CPU's Binned differently, if so, in what way

No...they are binned the same way.
The target chip is for servers and those which do not pass all the tests are marked for desktop sales.

The Optrons will always OC better than the desktop and normaly do so without a voltage boost.
Most of my sngl core Optrons 146's run a 50% OC with the cpu/ram/MB all on stock volts.

I found online this week boxed Optron 146's for mid $70, Optron 154's just under $200.

I have no software that uses a dual core but found Optron 185's for under $215.

The OEM's are $10-15 cheaper so I pay the extra for the 3 year warrenty.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
That is thier warrenty not AMD's factory warrnety.

As AMD (and DFI,Asus,PC Power & Cooling) are here in California I pay no attention to what some out of state retailer offers.

If it stops working I send it to the company who made it and get a new unit right away without any hassles.

I no longer use Asus MB's as they have always needed repair just befor the warrenty ran out...10 day average turn around.

The one time I had a DFI onboard sound unit problem I called them and got a new part the next day...never had to send the old part in!

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
That is thier warrenty not AMD's factory warrnety.

As AMD (and DFI,Asus,PC Power & Cooling) are here in California I pay no attention to what some out of state retailer offers.

If it stops working I send it to the company who made it and get a new unit right away without any hassles.

I no longer use Asus MB's as they have always needed repair just befor the warrenty ran out...10 day average turn around.

The one time I had a DFI onboard sound unit problem I called them and got a new part the next day...never had to send the old part in!

Yes, that is corrcet, it is their warrenty. and it has been the same warrenty I have recieved from very etailer I can remember purchasing a CPU from.

As for the asus difficulties, well that sounds like a personal problem.

dj_taboo

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
You also won't get the nice sticker for you case... :cry:
True. It really put a dent in my spirits after i installed my X2 but had to bear with the Athlon 64 sticker on my case. Lame. Anyone got an extra X2 sticker?

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
You also won't get the nice sticker for you case... :cry:
True. It really put a dent in my spirits after i installed my X2 but had to bear with the Athlon 64 sticker on my case. Lame. Anyone got an extra X2 sticker?

Here ya go. Just print it, cut it out, lick it and slap it on your case
x_men_two_ver1.jpg

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
There is absolutely no difference between a retial cpu and an OEM version except for the lack of a heatsink and fan on the OEM.Other than that,no.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
7950 GX2 560/1450
ACER 22IN. LCD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
80GIG/250gig SATA2 HD's
XP MCE
3DMARK05 14644

Kronos76

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
As for the asus difficulties, well that sounds like a personal problem.

I have had my share of problems, not only with ASUS products but with their service overall as well. Their QC is just not as good today as it was five years ago :(

If you just check out some of the posts around here you can read about so many people having issues with ASUS it's actually scary.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I do read the posts, but a few dozen complaints here or there scattered accross internet forums doesnt really make much of a impact when taking into account the total volume of boards Asus sells.

That said, I am aware that there are different subsets of problems - i.e dont use the OCZ xxxxx RAM on the Asus P5wdh deluxe, dont get the asus xxx with the Via xxxx, etc, and I agree with you, that asus QC is sliping, but I think you feel it has slipped further than I do. Sadly, it seems most of the manufacturers QC slips when theve been on or near the top for awhile...Creative, Diamond, ATI, Abit etc. And it sucks, but thats life. When they start loosing market share, the will either "come to jesus" as it were and get themselves back on track, or they'll go out of business.

Kronos76

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I do read the posts, but a few dozen complaints here or there scattered accross internet forums doesnt really make much of a impact when taking into account the total volume of boards Asus sells.

That said, I am aware that there are different subsets of problems - i.e dont use the OCZ xxxxx RAM on the Asus P5wdh deluxe, dont get the asus xxx with the Via xxxx, etc, and I agree with you, that asus QC is sliping, but I think you feel it has slipped further than I do. Sadly, it seems most of the manufacturers QC slips when theve been on or near the top for awhile...Creative, Diamond, ATI, Abit etc. And it sucks, but thats life. When they start loosing market share, the will either "come to jesus" as it were and get themselves back on track, or they'll go out of business.

My friend, I could not have created a more accurate list of companies if I tried, starting way back to when Diamond was one of the top of the line graphic cards. :wink: You are right on the money, they all slip when they are at the top, honestly, that is the cycle of things. Am I hard on ASUS, yea, only because they are at that turning point, they think they are on top, they released what should have been a GODLY MoBo, it turns out to have, what I see as too many problems for the cost of the board, and to top it off, the customer service just sucks. Don't get me wrong, I think we both agree, everyone has there problems, but 300+ for a board, and the best support I get is from the great people here on the forums. If it wasn't for the people here I think some of these companies would go under.

Anyway, just a short rant, but in the end, I agree, looking at the way things are right now I am enjoying EVGA at the moment, good products, great customer support, and all around doing okay between there MoBos and graphic cards. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if a year or two from now I was screaming about them. It's just the way it is :cry:

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well the last three builds I've done have been on the ASUS A8N-SLI series and the one issue I had was resolved by tech support the next day. You want REAL isuues buy a Chaintech! :twisted:

Kronos76

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Well the last three builds I've done have been on the ASUS A8N-SLI series and the one issue I had was resolved by tech support the next day. You want REAL isuues buy a Chaintech! :twisted:

Thanks,

Note to self " Do not buy Chaintech!"

It sounds like you had a very bad experience with them?