kawags

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I've tried to use Disk Management to increase the size of my full to the rim D drive. The extend Volume tab is grey'd out. My C drive is only ~ half full. Any suggestions

Jonmor68

Distinguished
The D drive is usually a recovery partition and should not be used for anything else. If you mess with it and need to restore your pc to the way it was when you purchased it you won't be able to.
If you have been saving files to it and filled, move them to your C drive or to an external drive, usb stick or cd/dvd.
Also if you havn't already made a set of restore disks as recommended, I suggest you do so now, before you have a serious problem.

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

The gray option means somethings:

1- The drive where u can extend the partition don't have format or is a different formant.
2- The drive is currently in use and can't be extended to that partition.

JIM MITCHELL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
[quotemsg=883991,2,391398]The D drive is usually a recovery partition and should not be used for anything else. If you mess with it and need to restore your pc to the way it was when you purchased it you won't be able to.
If you have been saving files to it and filled, move them to your C drive or to an external drive, usb stick or cd/dvd.
Also if you havn't already made a set of restore disks as recommended, I suggest you do so now, before you have a serious problem.[/quotemsg]
I Haven't done anything unusual. apperxintly1 weed ago I noticed that it was unable to make a back up. I cleared temp files and that sort of thing, to no availe. every time I try I get a message stating that back up has failed. D shows to have 832k of 9.99g remainding.I've tryed the sugestions coming from MS forum nothing seems to work. Anynhelp will be apreciated. THANKS>