Mike2007x86

Distinguished
May 1, 2007
Ok, I just rebuilt a new PC and after a few days I have a problem.

rebuild setup:
-Thermaltake Armor Liquid Cooling System
-E-VGA 8800GTX ACS3 KO w/ Danger Den 8800GTX Waterblock Addon
-Corsair 5400C4 DDR2 RAM
-680i SLI Motherboard w/ E6600 Processor
-Creative XFI Extreme Music Audio
-400GB Seagate and 74GB Raptor
-Plextor 760A DVD Burner

When I plug in the pc, it lights the blue led on the motherboard above RAM modules 3 and 4. When I press the power button an orange led lights up on the motherboard, but no fans, hard drives, pumps, or other devices come on. Should I RMA the motherboard or do you believe its time to replace the CPU?

Would the CPU cause no devices to power on or would the motherboard be the problem?

I also tested two other power supplies and both operated the same, only displaying motherboard led's.

Thanks

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Ok, I just rebuilt a new PC and after a few days I have a problem.

rebuild setup:
-Thermaltake Armor Liquid Cooling System
-E-VGA 8800GTX ACS3 KO w/ Danger Den 8800GTX Waterblock Addon
-Corsair 5400C4 DDR2 RAM
-680i SLI Motherboard w/ E6600 Processor
-Creative XFI Extreme Music Audio
-400GB Seagate and 74GB Raptor
-Plextor 760A DVD Burner

When I plug in the pc, it lights the blue led on the motherboard above RAM modules 3 and 4. When I press the power button an orange led lights up on the motherboard, but no fans, hard drives, pumps, or other devices come on. Should I RMA the motherboard or do you believe its time to replace the CPU?

Would the CPU cause no devices to power on or would the motherboard be the problem?

I also tested two other power supplies and both operated the same, only displaying motherboard led's.

Thanks
This is the classic result of a short somewhere.

Techfan

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Check the IDE cable from your DVDRW to the motherboard. Try to start your computer with another Video card. Try to boot with only Video card, Memories and CPU on the motherboard only. If the problem persist try the parts on another motherboard.

Mike2007x86

Distinguished
May 1, 2007
I checked DVDRW, but thats a no go

Unfortunately I cannot try the cpu or video card in another system.
The systems which I ripped the power supplies from for checking against the PSU were just spare parts.

How this happened:
I installed a DD-8800GTX waterblock into my coolant flow system, which once installed would not complete the flow. I was forced to use the pc long enough to get my camera drivers installed and post a message requesting help on the forum. I then shutdown the pc immediately after, only powering on the system for 2-3 minutes at a time to check and see the solution listed. 'Keep in mind the 8800GTX has stopped the coolant dead in its tracks'

I thought 2-3 minutes at a time shouldn't hurt it while looking for a solution as to why the coolant line is blocked. When my 8800GTX is inside the flow system.

I thought, someone out there had to have experienced the same problem. hopefully they posted a solution.

Well, I admitt I was wrong... 2-3 minutes means alot, because I can't get past the LEDs now.

I don't know much about what could have caused this LED only, but I'm leaning torwards the CPU is the problem. The MB powers on, but nothing turns on. It could be the motherboard though, but I don't know. I don't see how 2-3 minutes once an hour killed an e6600, I thought these things were protected from that.

It was my only way to try and find a solution.

When I take the DD-8800GTX out of the flow loop... It worked fine, but I didn't notice this until I had completely drained the system into a bucket.
Refilled it and pulled the 8800GTX waterblock. I then saw 100% normal flow, but two reboots later the LED problem started.

Now that you know what caused the LED only problem. Should I worry about exchanging the mainboard or RMA the CPU? The board has power when the PSU is plugged in, but no components actually startup other than the two blue and orange indicators above ram slots 3 & 4.

Techfan

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Check in your motherboard manual the meaning of this LEDs. I believe your motherboard is defected, CPUs very rarely cause such problems.