Samsung OTA tuner problem

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
February 24, 2005 8:11:18 PM

I have a Samsung SIR-T151 Digital HD OTA tuner which works well except for
one
problem.

I live in rural Pa. and have to pluck my signals from two different
geographical areas, using a high gain antenna and a rotator, spread
approximately 120 degrees apart. If I programme the tuner to automatically
gather the cluster of signals from one direction, by rotating the antenna in
that direction, it looses the cluster of stations I
have memorized from the other. I am not able, either, to select the
"missing" ones,( having turned the antenna in the other direction), using
the manual selection process, despite the signal being
strongly received when automatically memorized. I get a message reading "Not
in service".

So, it is a flip, flop situation. Either I get one lot or I get the other.
I can't seem to hold onto both.

Can anyone help, please?
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 25, 2005 8:48:17 AM

"Geoff" <engconn@comcast.net> wrote:

>I have a Samsung SIR-T151 Digital HD OTA tuner which works well except for
>one
>problem.
>
>I live in rural Pa. and have to pluck my signals from two different
>geographical areas, using a high gain antenna and a rotator, spread
>approximately 120 degrees apart. If I programme the tuner to automatically
>gather the cluster of signals from one direction, by rotating the antenna in
>that direction, it looses the cluster of stations I
>have memorized from the other. I am not able, either, to select the
>"missing" ones,( having turned the antenna in the other direction), using
>the manual selection process, despite the signal being
>strongly received when automatically memorized. I get a message reading "Not
>in service".

When you are manually selecting the stations, are you selecting the
station number based on the old numbers (like 7-1 for instance) or the
UHF channel number assigned to that station (like 39 for instance -
what they call the "Frequency Assignment" at antennaweb.org)?

If your SIR-T151 is like my T451, you need to manually select the UHF
assigned frequency and the tuner then sets up the 7-1, 7-2, etc type
numbers based on what it finds at the UHF assigned frequency.

HTH

joemooreaterolsdotcom
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 25, 2005 12:34:54 PM

no need to go into menu, you need to know what ch the stations are. 7.1 may
be dtv 37. point ant at missing stations and enter DTV # it will remap to
7.1
"Joe Moore" <munged@bad.example.com> wrote in message
> "Geoff" <engconn@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >I have a Samsung SIR-T151 Digital HD OTA tuner which works well except
for
> >one
> >problem.
> >
> >I live in rural Pa. and have to pluck my signals from two different
> >geographical areas, using a high gain antenna and a rotator, spread
> >approximately 120 degrees apart. If I programme the tuner to
automatically
> >gather the cluster of signals from one direction, by rotating the antenna
in
> >that direction, it looses the cluster of stations I
> >have memorized from the other. I am not able, either, to select the
> >"missing" ones,( having turned the antenna in the other direction), using
> >the manual selection process, despite the signal being
> >strongly received when automatically memorized. I get a message reading
"Not
> >in service".
>
> When you are manually selecting the stations, are you selecting the
> station number based on the old numbers (like 7-1 for instance) or the
> UHF channel number assigned to that station (like 39 for instance -
> what they call the "Frequency Assignment" at antennaweb.org)?
>
> If your SIR-T151 is like my T451, you need to manually select the UHF
> assigned frequency and the tuner then sets up the 7-1, 7-2, etc type
> numbers based on what it finds at the UHF assigned frequency.
>
> HTH
>

> joemooreaterolsdotcom
a b Ô Samsung
February 25, 2005 1:43:10 PM

Geoff wrote:

> I have a Samsung SIR-T151 Digital HD OTA tuner which works well except for
> one
> problem.
>
> I live in rural Pa. and have to pluck my signals from two different
> geographical areas, using a high gain antenna and a rotator, spread
> approximately 120 degrees apart. If I programme the tuner to automatically
> gather the cluster of signals from one direction, by rotating the antenna in
> that direction, it looses the cluster of stations I
> have memorized from the other. I am not able, either, to select the
> "missing" ones,( having turned the antenna in the other direction), using
> the manual selection process, despite the signal being
> strongly received when automatically memorized. I get a message reading "Not
> in service".
>
> So, it is a flip, flop situation. Either I get one lot or I get the other.
> I can't seem to hold onto both.
>
> Can anyone help, please?

I just ran a Test of your Problem on my OTA T-451 Tuner Box.....

First I identified all all the channels available in 'Both'
directions...
Identification required 'Knowing both' the Digital channel Number
AND the equivalent n-n 'false' channel numbers....

Then auto scan channels in 1 of the 2 Antenna directions.....
The antenna direction First scanned is important!!!!!

THen manually key in the 'DIGITAL CHANNEL NUMBER' (not false chan
No.)
via the remote..... In my test case DTV chan 59 (32-1) UPN
would not scan in via the remote but worked via Auto scan..!!

What's been done is to scan half of Chans by Auto scan.. & half
manually
using the Digital Channel number... not the fake -1 chan
identifications.

Auto scan does a more complete job than manual key in ...
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 25, 2005 9:14:06 PM

This is the right process but it has to be taken one step further.

If you have any digitals stations co-channel with analog stations you
have to first scan the digital stations that are cochannel, swing the
antenna around and manually enter all the other stations. The point is
you have to do the cochannel digital stations first. If you have
cochannel stations from both cities, you cant do an automatic scan at
all. Everything has to be manually entered.

This is harder to say than really do.

Here's an example. Where I live I can get WISC, digital ch50, analog
ch3, if I swing the antenna toward Madison Wi, and I can get WPWR,
digital ch51, analog ch50 if I point the antenna toward Chicago Il.
Channel 50 is cochannel for WISC-DT and WPWR analog

I have to first scan Madison Wi so that WISC-DT can be re-mapped to
3-1, and then point the antenna toward chicago and manually enter ch51
so I can tune WPWR on 50-1. You cant do it the other way around.

dickm

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:43:10 -0600, Dennis Mayer <Polaris1@execpc.com>
wrote:

>Geoff wrote:
>>
>> I have a Samsung SIR-T151 Digital HD OTA tuner which works well except for
>> one
>> problem.
>>
>> I live in rural Pa. and have to pluck my signals from two different
>> geographical areas, using a high gain antenna and a rotator, spread
>> approximately 120 degrees apart. If I programme the tuner to automatically
>> gather the cluster of signals from one direction, by rotating the antenna in
>> that direction, it looses the cluster of stations I
>> have memorized from the other. I am not able, either, to select the
>> "missing" ones,( having turned the antenna in the other direction), using
>> the manual selection process, despite the signal being
>> strongly received when automatically memorized. I get a message reading "Not
>> in service".
>>
>> So, it is a flip, flop situation. Either I get one lot or I get the other.
>> I can't seem to hold onto both.
>>
>> Can anyone help, please?
>

> I just ran a Test of your Problem on my OTA T-451 Tuner Box.....
>
> First I identified all all the channels available in 'Both'
>directions...
> Identification required 'Knowing both' the Digital channel Number
> AND the equivalent n-n 'false' channel numbers....
>
> Then auto scan channels in 1 of the 2 Antenna directions.....
> The antenna direction First scanned is important!!!!!
>
> THen manually key in the 'DIGITAL CHANNEL NUMBER' (not false chan
>No.)
> via the remote..... In my test case DTV chan 59 (32-1) UPN
> would not scan in via the remote but worked via Auto scan..!!
>
> What's been done is to scan half of Chans by Auto scan.. & half
>manually
> using the Digital Channel number... not the fake -1 chan
>identifications.
>
> Auto scan does a more complete job than manual key in ...
March 8, 2005 11:44:49 AM

Many thanks for all your suggestions.

"dicko" <drwho@universalclock.com> wrote in message
> This is the right process but it has to be taken one step further.
>
> If you have any digitals stations co-channel with analog stations you
> have to first scan the digital stations that are cochannel, swing the
> antenna around and manually enter all the other stations. The point is
> you have to do the cochannel digital stations first. If you have
> cochannel stations from both cities, you cant do an automatic scan at
> all. Everything has to be manually entered.
>
> This is harder to say than really do.
>
> Here's an example. Where I live I can get WISC, digital ch50, analog
> ch3, if I swing the antenna toward Madison Wi, and I can get WPWR,
> digital ch51, analog ch50 if I point the antenna toward Chicago Il.
> Channel 50 is cochannel for WISC-DT and WPWR analog
>
> I have to first scan Madison Wi so that WISC-DT can be re-mapped to
> 3-1, and then point the antenna toward chicago and manually enter ch51
> so I can tune WPWR on 50-1. You cant do it the other way around.
>
> dickm
>
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:43:10 -0600, Dennis Mayer <Polaris1@execpc.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Geoff wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a Samsung SIR-T151 Digital HD OTA tuner which works well except
>>> for
>>> one

!