Power supply suitable for 8800GTX ?

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
it should be, but i wouldn't be overclocking anything. it has 32 amps on 12v rails combined, and the 8800 takes up 30 of those. if your planning on overclocking your system, i'd get a psu with a little more head room..

GeoffW

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004
Thanks for the replies guys. I had come to a similar conclusion that it was borderline OK.

I can barely justify the cost of the very expensive 8800GTX as it is. If I had to stump up another £80 or so for a new power supply it would have to get shelved.

Regarding the overclocking comments, were you referring to OC'ing the Video board or the CPU or both ?

I wouldnt want to OC the 8800 but I do usually run with a small CPU overclock.

Regards Geoff

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
well, the cpu doesn't use the 12v rail (i dont think? i know my psu does but thats because its a different design than standard..) so cpu overclocking is ok, and im sure that the graphics card will be able to handle a small one too. if the computer starts acting up after you overclock, the most likely culprit is the psu. good luck :D

Kronos76

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Thanks for the replies guys. I had come to a similar conclusion that it was borderline OK.

I can barely justify the cost of the very expensive 8800GTX as it is. If I had to stump up another £80 or so for a new power supply it would have to get shelved.

Regarding the overclocking comments, were you referring to OC'ing the Video board or the CPU or both ?

I wouldnt want to OC the 8800 but I do usually run with a small CPU overclock.

Regards Geoff

Overall any OCing has a draw effect on the overall performance, and lifespan of the PSU, so, if you are doing any OCing you are still loading the PSU down to some degree or another, as to which rail, etc, that is just one circuit in a system of many.