File Transfer Mishap...

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Hello all!

This is an interesting problem. I have a custom box and an old gateway box. I wanted to transfer all my files from one box to another, so I rammed in the gateway hard drive, copied all files in the root of the drive, and pasted it into a folder on my New desktop.

When the file transfer finished, the folder (on the New desktop) disappeared... Funny. So, I checked the hidden files in explorer. Not there...

Well, I used the command prompt. Not there either.

After a while, I forgot about it, and just recently got a new defrag program (SmartDefrag).

So... From seeing the type of data, the file, and where it is being moved, I deducted that the folder with the transferred data is now part of the MFT!

So, what can I do to delete these files, why did it happen, etc..?

BTW, the old drive is FAT32 (I think, could be ntfs), and new is definitely NTFS.

Until I fix it, I'm stuck with a 58 gig MFT... :D

Solution
G

try this on the desktop from the cmd.

attrib *.* -S -H -D /d

it will remove all the attributes on any files / folders so you can see whats on desktop.I've a hunch the folder will show up. Then you can have fun with it.
G

try this on the desktop from the cmd.

attrib *.* -S -H -D /d

it will remove all the attributes on any files / folders so you can see whats on desktop.I've a hunch the folder will show up. Then you can have fun with it.

Solution