Car Radiator + heater Core water cooling?

Aleko

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
Im a complete noob at water cooling i'v only read a few posts about it. I'v got a Copper Car Radiator and Heater Core from my dads old car he is throwing away. Is it a good idea to use the Car Radiator? I dont mind the size.

Also im thinking of using both. I want to put the radiator a few meters away from the PC and the heater Core on the case and fans only on the Heater Core. Is it a good idea to use both or there is no point in doing this?

What im thinking is because my Car Radiator is at some distance from the PC water will heat in the tubes going to the PC so a heater core at the PC will cool it too.

Will be Cooling CPU, NB and GPU.

Loop: Pump>Car Rad>Heater Core>CPU>NB>GPU>Pump

Some AC Pump i dont know how powerful pump to get? What specs?
:?

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I've never watercooled before in my life. I know nothing of watercooling a PC, but this just seems a little out there.

Maybe it's just me. 8O

Aleko

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
I've never watercooled before in my life. I know nothing of watercooling a PC, but this just seems a little out there.

Maybe it's just me. 8O

haha well it might be... iv heard of people using Car Rads before but never Car Rad + Heater Core or 2 Car Rads :lol:

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
What kind of pump is being used? I would think those watercooling systems have some kind of PSI limitation. Not a car one I assume. :lol:

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
I nearly peed myself laughing when I 1st read the post but then got thinking maybe it's not a bad way to go. I don't think it would look nice at all and you would have a bit of a problem moving the PC about but the cooling potential would be awsome.

Just use the cars water pump and cooling fan to complete the build and you're good to go. Vrooom

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
And how exactly is he supposed to use the car's waterpump? Those aren't electric you know, they're belt-driven. Well, I guess he could use it, he'll just need to rig a bicycle up and pedal as hard as possible the whole time he's using the computer.

OP: The heater core is fine, don't bother with the radiator. The radiator is simply to large, you would need a pretty massive (and expensive!) pump to maintain good positive pressure throughout your system. Many WC setups use heatercores instead of specialty radiators. Just make sure you flush it very well before use as it likely has an accumulation of gunk inside. Also, if it has copper tubing, make sure you keep a close eye on your component selection and avoid anything made of Al, otherwise you'll have a ton of contaminants floating around in your coolant.

sailer

Splendid
Using both the car radiator and the heater core would be major overkill. Look for a shop that can braze a smaller inlet and outlet onto the radiator and then use 1/2 inch lines between the radiator and the pump and so forth. Just use a large capcity pump from Danger Den or Swift Tech. I've seen a number of people use small car radiators successfully. Depending on the size of the radiator, you can use anywhere from two to four fans for cooling, from 120 to 250 mm size.

Do not think of using a car water pump, as the pressure would be way too high for the rest of the system. Other than that, your idea is not so crazy, as its been done by many people in the past.

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
You guys have got me chuckling. Have you got some links to these cooling solutions as I've gotta see them for myself.

As for the car water pump. Where there is a will there is a way.

Aleko

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
Cool so im not totally insane :D

YEAH OVERKILL i like. Seriously using both just sounds cool to me. Was wondering if it would actually work.

And how exactly is he supposed to use the car's waterpump? Those aren't electric you know, they're belt-driven. Well, I guess he could use it, he'll just need to rig a bicycle up and pedal as hard as possible the whole time he's using the computer.

:lol:
Dunno anything about car pumps... but i think the fan is belt driven too

Is the Swiftech MCP655 gonna be enough for this thing? I would prefer an AC pump so i can just plug in the wall

EDIT: Also no Al stuff in the loop

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
If you can set up the heater core in a box and use long enough hoses you could use it to heat the house in the winter. The tough part will be the water pump and where to put it and then power it.

Maybe you can pick up one of those small AC window units and have some tubes come off of that to cool the cpu that way you can cool the cpu the same time your cooling the house. :wink:

Then switch over to the heater core in the winter.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Most modern cars have electric-driven radiator fans for reduce parasitic loss on the engine. A 655 won't be anywhere near enough, keep in mind that given that most radiators have large collection tanks on the top and bottom, and then the amount of tubing they have, there will be a huge pressure drop, much more than a normal WC pump can handle. The heater core is a much more reasonable idea, or even an oil cooler from a heavy duty truck or a turbocharged car.

MeDavid16

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
people do it, but in regards to your set up

i think there would be way too much more resistance, you need a powerful pump, which i think you are aware of.

perhaps one of these, http://www.crazypc.com/products/hydor_l35-9339.html, it's at 450GPH

it plugs into the standard outlet (AC outlet).

however, if you feel like the flow isn't adequate, then you'll really need to up the ante and think about pond-water kind of pumps, which some enthusiasts do.