When I turn on the computer, the screen just goes black but the computer is on!

tanichka3

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
Hello,
My computer is maybe 2 years old, and this problem only starting occuring recently. I turn on the computer and all is well until it gets to my desktop when the screen just goes black. I tried blowing the dust out and my computer worked again for a couple of hours, but now blowing the dust out doesn't work. My safe mode works, but none of the regular settings do. What do I do to fix this!!

fusion_gtx

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
If you want help, you're going to need to post more information about your system. Make/Model/Operating System would be a good start.

Off the top of my head it sounds like it could be a couple of different things. If blowing out the computer was just a coincidence that it worked again it could possibly be a virus. Have you downloaded any suspicious files lately(ex Torrenting Music/Movies/Programs?) Other than that, it could possibly be a Black Screen of Death(KSOD.) For the most part it does sound like a software issue due to the fact that you can get into safe mode.

It could also be hardware failure like your video card, the only odd thing is that the system works in safe mode. If your video card had gone bad it would just not display video.

TRENDING THREADS