QAM to NTSC?? converter box for older Mits HDTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 25, 2005 2:04:37 AM

I have a Mits 46805 TV that has RGBHV. I don't understand the terminology but evidently
it doesn't have "component input" which confuses me since it has RGB separate RCA feeds.

Anyway, since cable HD signals are QAM format (which is evidently different from
antenna-based NTSC?? format), I need a QAM --> NTSC decoder/converter box. What I want to
accomplish is:

1) take QAM HD digital signal and convert to NTSC (IOW to exactly match the format of an
antenna-based signal)
2) convert the now NTSC signal to channel 3 (since cable HD channels are in the 200 range
which my TV can't tune to)
3) feed this into the back of my Mits HD 1080 receiver (that outputs RGBHV) and everyone
is happy

Does anyone know if there's a converter box to accomplish QAM --> antenna-format signal?

JL
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 10:11:03 AM

According to the specs, the Mits 46805 does have component video input,
which would be the only way to get an HD signal into it. OTA HD
broadcasts are in ATSC, not NTSC, which is regular analog TV. The Mits
doesn't have a built in HD tuner of any kind so tuning it to channel 3
isn't going to receive anything other than good old channel 3.

Your solution is to either get a cable box from the cable company or
else buy a QAM compatible box. Most people go with the former, either
way you'll have to pay for any premium channel packages.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 6:23:37 PM

<trader4@optonline.net> wrote in message
> According to the specs, the Mits 46805 does have component video input,
> which would be the only way to get an HD signal into it.

***
The terminology is confusing. I've been told that my TV does not have "component input".

OTA HD
> broadcasts are in ATSC, not NTSC, which is regular analog TV.

***
OK, then change my original post from NTSC to ATSC.

The Mits
> doesn't have a built in HD tuner of any kind so tuning it to channel 3
> isn't going to receive anything other than good old channel 3.

***
I mean that once I convert QAM (from cable) to ATSC and THEN to channel 3, THIS signal is
fed into the back (via coax) of the Mits HD 1080 receiver which outputs channel 3 DTV HDTV
for the Mits 46805. IOW, I'd be making the signal just as if it came from an antenna
reception.

> Your solution is to either get a cable box from the cable company or
> else buy a QAM compatible box. Most people go with the former, either
> way you'll have to pay for any premium channel packages.

***
There are no premium packages in that the HD channels are carried already on the package I
have (i.e. I can tune and hear the audio on them).

JL
February 25, 2005 6:23:38 PM

Jim Lewandowski wrote:
> <trader4@optonline.net> wrote in message
>
>>According to the specs, the Mits 46805 does have component video input,
>>which would be the only way to get an HD signal into it.
>

> ***
> The terminology is confusing. I've been told that my TV does not have "component input".
>
> OTA HD
>
>>broadcasts are in ATSC, not NTSC, which is regular analog TV.
>

> ***
> OK, then change my original post from NTSC to ATSC.
>
> The Mits
>>doesn't have a built in HD tuner of any kind so tuning it to channel 3
>>isn't going to receive anything other than good old channel 3.
>

> ***
> I mean that once I convert QAM (from cable) to ATSC and THEN to channel 3, THIS signal is
> fed into the back (via coax) of the Mits HD 1080 receiver which outputs channel 3 DTV HDTV
> for the Mits 46805. IOW, I'd be making the signal just as if it came from an antenna
> reception.

I am confused. What are you looking to do?? If you are getting HD
channels from cable, I assume you have an HD cable Set Top Box, correct?

Just to be clear, NTSC is 480i analog. NTSC or old "cable-ready" RF
inputs CAN NOT handle HD signals. ATSC is Over The Air (OTA) digital
broadcast standard which is replacing NTSC and includes HD signals. But
to get ATSC requires a ATSC tuner which is not the same as a QAM tuner
(some ATSC boxes do have this feature).

If your Mits is an HD set, then it should have component input (RGB
connectors). If you have an HD STB, connect it to the TV or external
receiver for the TV through component cables (or DVI or HDMI for newer
sets if the STB is so equipped). Hook up the red and white stereo plugs
and if you have a 5.1 capable receiver, run a digital audio cable from
the cable box to the receiver.

Alan F
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 7:50:04 PM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:04:37 GMT, "Jim Lewandowski"
<jlewand@nospamameritech.net> wrote:

>I have a Mits 46805 TV that has RGBHV. I don't understand the terminology but evidently
>it doesn't have "component input" which confuses me since it has RGB separate RCA feeds.
>
>Anyway, since cable HD signals are QAM format (which is evidently different from
>antenna-based NTSC?? format), I need a QAM --> NTSC decoder/converter box. What I want to
>accomplish is:
>
>1) take QAM HD digital signal and convert to NTSC (IOW to exactly match the format of an
>antenna-based signal)
>2) convert the now NTSC signal to channel 3 (since cable HD channels are in the 200 range
>which my TV can't tune to)
>3) feed this into the back of my Mits HD 1080 receiver (that outputs RGBHV) and everyone
>is happy
>

>Does anyone know if there's a converter box to accomplish QAM --> antenna-format signal?
>
>JL

Maybe you need a transcoder. Like this:
http://www.altinex.com/Products/Archived_Products/TR610...
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 9:18:02 PM

"Alan Figgatt" <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Jim Lewandowski wrote:
>> <trader4@optonline.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>According to the specs, the Mits 46805 does have component video input,
>>>which would be the only way to get an HD signal into it.
>>

>> ***
>> The terminology is confusing. I've been told that my TV does not have "component
>> input".
>>
>> OTA HD
>>
>>>broadcasts are in ATSC, not NTSC, which is regular analog TV.
>>

>> ***
>> OK, then change my original post from NTSC to ATSC.
>>
>> The Mits
>>>doesn't have a built in HD tuner of any kind so tuning it to channel 3
>>>isn't going to receive anything other than good old channel 3.
>>

>> ***
>> I mean that once I convert QAM (from cable) to ATSC and THEN to channel 3, THIS signal
>> is fed into the back (via coax) of the Mits HD 1080 receiver which outputs channel 3
>> DTV HDTV for the Mits 46805. IOW, I'd be making the signal just as if it came from an
>> antenna reception.
>
> I am confused. What are you looking to do??

***
I have a Mits HDTV 46805. I ALSO have a Mits HD 1080 RECEIVER (external). They connect
to each other via a 5-cable BNC/RCA RGBHV.

If you are getting HD
> channels from cable, I assume you have an HD cable Set Top Box, correct?

***
I'm getting HD via antenna (coax) now. My cable (digital) STB also has the HD channels
(like #200-#210). I can HEAR the audio from those but obviously not the pic when I'm on
my regular cable input (INPUT A - coax).

> Just to be clear, NTSC is 480i analog. NTSC or old "cable-ready" RF inputs CAN NOT
> handle HD signals. ATSC is Over The Air (OTA) digital broadcast standard which is
> replacing NTSC and includes HD signals. But to get ATSC requires a ATSC tuner which is
> not the same as a QAM tuner (some ATSC boxes do have this feature).

***
Correct. Cable = QAM. Antenna-received is ATSC.

> If your Mits is an HD set, then it should have component input (RGB connectors).

***
RGB and Horizontal synch and vertical synch.

If you have an HD STB, connect it to the TV or external
> receiver for the TV through component cables (or DVI or HDMI for newer sets if the STB
> is so equipped). Hook up the red and white stereo plugs and if you have a 5.1 capable
> receiver, run a digital audio cable from the cable box to the receiver.

***
I'm trying to find out if I get a cable-company's SEPARATE box (above and beyond my Mits
HD 1080 receiver box and the current cable company's digital box) if it will output RGBHV
that MY Mits TV needs.

JL

> Alan F
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 1:12:31 AM

"klaatu" <blobnospam@optonline.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:04:37 GMT, "Jim Lewandowski"
> <jlewand@nospamameritech.net> wrote:
>
>>I have a Mits 46805 TV that has RGBHV. I don't understand the terminology but evidently
>>it doesn't have "component input" which confuses me since it has RGB separate RCA feeds.
>>
>>Anyway, since cable HD signals are QAM format (which is evidently different from
>>antenna-based NTSC?? format), I need a QAM --> NTSC decoder/converter box. What I want
>>accomplish is:
>>
>>1) take QAM HD digital signal and convert to NTSC (IOW to exactly match the format of an
>>antenna-based signal)
>>2) convert the now NTSC signal to channel 3 (since cable HD channels are in the 200
>>range
>>which my TV can't tune to)
>>3) feed this into the back of my Mits HD 1080 receiver (that outputs RGBHV) and everyone
>>is happy
>>

>>Does anyone know if there's a converter box to accomplish QAM --> antenna-format signal?
>>
>>JL
>>
> Maybe you need a transcoder. Like this:
> http://www.altinex.com/Products/Archived_Products/TR610...

***
OK, it's got 3 inputs Y, Pr, Pb. Can I get THOSE out of a standard cable company's
set-top-box?

Nice nick, BTW.

JL
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 1:12:32 AM

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:12:31 GMT, "Jim Lewandowski"
<jlewand@nospamameritech.net> wrote:

>"klaatu" <blobnospam@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:04:37 GMT, "Jim Lewandowski"
>> <jlewand@nospamameritech.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a Mits 46805 TV that has RGBHV. I don't understand the terminology but evidently
>>>it doesn't have "component input" which confuses me since it has RGB separate RCA feeds.
>>>
>>>Anyway, since cable HD signals are QAM format (which is evidently different from
>>>antenna-based NTSC?? format), I need a QAM --> NTSC decoder/converter box. What I want
>>>accomplish is:
>>>
>>>1) take QAM HD digital signal and convert to NTSC (IOW to exactly match the format of an
>>>antenna-based signal)
>>>2) convert the now NTSC signal to channel 3 (since cable HD channels are in the 200
>>>range
>>>which my TV can't tune to)
>>>3) feed this into the back of my Mits HD 1080 receiver (that outputs RGBHV) and everyone
>>>is happy
>>>

>>>Does anyone know if there's a converter box to accomplish QAM --> antenna-format signal?
>>>
>>>JL
>>>
>> Maybe you need a transcoder. Like this:
>> http://www.altinex.com/Products/Archived_Products/TR610...
>>

>***
>OK, it's got 3 inputs Y, Pr, Pb. Can I get THOSE out of a standard cable company's
>set-top-box?
>
>Nice nick, BTW.
>
>JL

My cable box has Y,Pr,Pb output. On a high end computer monitor there
are RBGHV inputs. I always thought this was just an improvement over
VGA. Better for CAD. Years ago the better video cards had RGBHV
output. My old Mits front projector has them, but I never used them.
S-video is what I used. Look at this:
http://www.epanorama.net/links/videoconnector.html
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 2:07:31 AM

"klaatu" <blob@optonline.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:12:31 GMT, "Jim Lewandowski"
> <jlewand@nospamameritech.net> wrote:
>

>>"klaatu" <blobnospam@optonline.net> wrote in message

>>> Maybe you need a transcoder. Like this:
>>> http://www.altinex.com/Products/Archived_Products/TR610...
>>>

>>***
>>OK, it's got 3 inputs Y, Pr, Pb. Can I get THOSE out of a standard cable company's
>>set-top-box?
>>
>>Nice nick, BTW.
>>
>>JL
>>
> My cable box has Y,Pr,Pb output.

***
Meaning a HD-specific cable box has Y, Pr, Pb?? IOW, a standard, non-HD cable box simply
outputs a coax for input to the TV. This is making more sense. So, cable company's
HD-specific box will put out Y, Pr, Pb which will go into the converter box linked to
above and output RGBHV for the TV.

JL

On a high end computer monitor there
> are RBGHV inputs. I always thought this was just an improvement over
> VGA. Better for CAD. Years ago the better video cards had RGBHV
> output. My old Mits front projector has them, but I never used them.
> S-video is what I used. Look at this:
> http://www.epanorama.net/links/videoconnector.html

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 2:07:32 AM

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:07:31 GMT, "Jim Lewandowski"
<jlewand@nospamameritech.net> wrote:

>"klaatu" <blob@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:12:31 GMT, "Jim Lewandowski"
>> <jlewand@nospamameritech.net> wrote:
>>

>>>"klaatu" <blobnospam@optonline.net> wrote in message

>>>***
>>>OK, it's got 3 inputs Y, Pr, Pb. Can I get THOSE out of a standard cable company's
>>>set-top-box?
>>>
>>>Nice nick, BTW.
>>>
>>>JL
>>>
>> My cable box has Y,Pr,Pb output.
>
>***
>Meaning a HD-specific cable box has Y, Pr, Pb?? IOW, a standard, non-HD cable box simply
>outputs a coax for input to the TV. This is making more sense. So, cable company's
>HD-specific box will put out Y, Pr, Pb which will go into the converter box linked to
>above and output RGBHV for the TV.
>
>JL

Maybe someone else who has this same set up can jump in here.
I can't tell you what will work or not. Is your cable box analog?
Just like a standard VCR?

!