Sign in with
Your question

What's a good card or SLI/Crossfire config for 1920x1200?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 28, 2007 8:13:49 PM

I'm thinking of building myself a new rig, trying to stay around $1000 for now, and will eventually upgrade my monitor to a 1920x1200, 24" or more LCD.

I've looked for a while at some benchmarks, bunch of PC parts at NewEgg, some forum discussions, etc, etc. So I know a bit and I've done some homework. Still, I don't always find everything I need and sometimes need a second opinion.

As of now I'm planning to fit my rig with an 8800GTS 320MB, and possibly add a second one in SLI later on. I know that a single GTX is usually preferred over SLI'd GTS's, but I'm trying to make an affordable solution here and I don't really have the money for the best of the best right now, thus I'm making something that's good now and can become even better later without having to spend a mint. So please, I don't want to hear your arguements for a single GTX over SLI'd GTS's because I've heard it already and I know the benefits and disadvantages.

Anyways, assume that the games run at 1920x1600, best qualities, best AA and AF, and just all the bells and whistles you can set. Also assume the CPU is an E6600 or something close and 2GB of CAS 5 RAM. I figure this is about as close to a bang-for-buck system as it gets right now (minus the video card). Would a single 8800GTS 320MB be enough, or SLI'd GTS's be enough, or do I really need the GTX? Recent ATI cards are also welcome, though given recent benchmarks they don't seem to be doing that well, at least not yet.
June 28, 2007 8:28:15 PM

Quote:

As of now I'm planning to fit my rig with an 8800GTS 320MB, and possibly add a second one in SLI later on. I know that a single GTX is usually preferred over SLI'd GTS's, but I'm trying to make an affordable solution here and I don't really have the money for the best of the best right now, thus I'm making something that's good now and can become even better later without having to spend a mint.

I understand what you mean, what i suggest is the 8800GTS, as I assume the budget is tight, along those lines though, go with the EVGA card, the step up program is a good idea for you incase you do want to change up at a later date.

Another note, assuming you are doing a new build, wait until July 22 to buy the CPU.
June 28, 2007 8:31:57 PM

Quote:

As of now I'm planning to fit my rig with an 8800GTS 320MB, and possibly add a second one in SLI later on. I know that a single GTX is usually preferred over SLI'd GTS's, but I'm trying to make an affordable solution here and I don't really have the money for the best of the best right now, thus I'm making something that's good now and can become even better later without having to spend a mint.

I understand what you mean, what i suggest is the 8800GTS, as I assume the budget is tight, along those lines though, go with the EVGA card, the step up program is a good idea for you incase you do want to change up at a later date.

Another note, assuming you are doing a new build, wait until July 22 to buy the CPU.

I thought about that, the only problem though is that I went to EVGA's site and I found the section about Step-Up and it looked like they stopped the program when it comes to part vendors like NewEgg and ZipZoomFly, deciding to deal only with entire system builders like ABS and iBuyPower. I'll check again though.

And also, yes, I do plan to wait until July's price cuts.
Related resources
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 28, 2007 8:39:33 PM

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=707&model2=706&chart=298

8800 GTX - 28.7 fps
8800 GTS 640 MB - 20.4 fps (I assume 8800 GTS 320 MB a bit under 20 fps)

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?modelx=33&model1=804&model2=805&chart=358

8800 GTX SLI - 53.8 fps
8800 GTS SLI - 38.5 fps

This particular game (Oblivion) at your resolution (1920x1200) and with lot sof eye candy enabled, will prefer these in order:

8800 GTX SLI - close to the monitor's refresh rate, wow!
8800 GTS SLI - good (IMO)
8800 GTX - good
8800 GTS - acceptable

I think your plan to get a GTS now and another later is pretty good, if you're willing to put up with relatively weak performance until you can afford the second card. In fact, 20.4 fps in the worst place in a most demanding game is not weak at all, and you can always reduce the eye candy levels to get more fps.

I'd say get a GTX if you can afford it, but the GTS will do pretty good too.
Keep in mind that these numbers are for 8800 GTS 640 MB, and the 320 MB will do a bit worse.
June 28, 2007 8:42:53 PM

I have also considering overclocking (to both the CPU and GPU).
a c 143 U Graphics card
June 28, 2007 8:52:32 PM

I'm guessing that overclocking the GPU would be more useful in those benchmarks than overclocking the CPU. I wonder if you can get 25 fps instead of 20.4 by overclocking the 8800 GTS. Best of luck, and post the results :lol:  :lol: 
June 28, 2007 9:00:38 PM

Actually it is the other way around i think, if you bought your system as a whole, through a non-approved vendor, than you can not use the step up program, or maybe I am reading it wrong :oops:  Take a read at this and let me know what you think.

http://www.evga.com/stepup/default.asp?switch=2
!