Formatting

I need to completely clean a hard disk on a PC desktop. The desktop
originally had ME installed, and was upgraded to XP Home edition. Once I have
the hard disk cleared I am assuming that I need to use a startup disk for ME;
install ME and then upgrade to XP Home edition. I have the original
installation cd's (ME & XP) that came with the desktop; however, I do not
have a startup floppy for ME. Also, the ME files that were saved to the hard
drive when the upgrade was done have been erased.
Is there a way of meeting my goal of re-installing XP Home other than as I
have described?
--
Al W
9 answers Last reply

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Al W" wrote:

    | I need to completely clean a hard disk on a PC desktop. The desktop
    | originally had ME installed, and was upgraded to XP Home edition. Once I have
    | the hard disk cleared I am assuming that I need to use a startup disk for ME;
    | install ME and then upgrade to XP Home edition. I have the original
    | installation cd's (ME & XP) that came with the desktop; however, I do not
    | have a startup floppy for ME. Also, the ME files that were saved to the hard
    | drive when the upgrade was done have been erased.
    | Is there a way of meeting my goal of re-installing XP Home other than as I
    | have described?
    | --
    | Al W

    Thanks for the input. It sounds like a much better approach than I had
    anticipated. You may see a similar question from me which you can ignore. I
    was not sure that this original message had been inputted properely so I
    re-submitted. Hope it doesn't cause any confusion.
    Thanks again.
    --
    Al W

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_setup.htm
    >
    > [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Al W" wrote:
    >
    > | I need to completely clean a hard disk on a PC desktop. The desktop
    > | originally had ME installed, and was upgraded to XP Home edition. Once I have
    > | the hard disk cleared I am assuming that I need to use a startup disk for ME;
    > | install ME and then upgrade to XP Home edition. I have the original
    > | installation cd's (ME & XP) that came with the desktop; however, I do not
    > | have a startup floppy for ME. Also, the ME files that were saved to the hard
    > | drive when the upgrade was done have been erased.
    > | Is there a way of meeting my goal of re-installing XP Home other than as I

    Sorry to use this process but how can I post a question. I almost never(only
    once in multiple tries) get a blank window. I need to ask how I can preserve
    dates in copying back my files from a CD after a hard drive replacement.
    That's two questions! Looking forward to the answer(s). Many thanks,
    --
    Thanks, Ajimmo

    "Al W" wrote:

    > I need to completely clean a hard disk on a PC desktop. The desktop
    > originally had ME installed, and was upgraded to XP Home edition. Once I have
    > the hard disk cleared I am assuming that I need to use a startup disk for ME;
    > install ME and then upgrade to XP Home edition. I have the original
    > installation cd's (ME & XP) that came with the desktop; however, I do not
    > have a startup floppy for ME. Also, the ME files that were saved to the hard
    > drive when the upgrade was done have been erased.
    > Is there a way of meeting my goal of re-installing XP Home other than as I
    > have described?
    > --
    > Al W

    Hi

    You will need to boot your system with the XP CD. You will not have to
    install ME first. The following article by Michael Stevens will show you
    how to 'Clean' install XP. You will possibly need the ME CD as proof for an
    upgrade:

    "Clean Install Windows XP "

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Al W" <AlW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I need to completely clean a hard disk on a PC desktop. The desktop
    > originally had ME installed, and was upgraded to XP Home edition. Once I
    > have
    > the hard disk cleared I am assuming that I need to use a startup disk for
    > ME;
    > install ME and then upgrade to XP Home edition. I have the original
    > installation cd's (ME & XP) that came with the desktop; however, I do not
    > have a startup floppy for ME. Also, the ME files that were saved to the
    > hard
    > drive when the upgrade was done have been erased.
    > Is there a way of meeting my goal of re-installing XP Home other than as I
    > have described?
    > --
    > Al W

    Using the web based newsgroup is a PITA at times. After you are logged on
    you may have to repeatedly keep clicking the "New" button to get the window
    to open so you can start a new thread. I much prefer using Outlook Express
    over the web based service.

    To retain the original file dates I believe you will need to either zip your
    files before burning them to CD or use third party software like Nero. Nero
    has a setting for retaining the original date prior to burning to disc.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    ajimmo wrote:
    > Sorry to use this process but how can I post a question. I
    > almost never(only once in multiple tries) get a blank
    > window. I need to ask how I can preserve dates in copying
    > back my files from a CD after a hard drive replacement.
    > That's two questions! Looking forward to the answer(s).
    > Many thanks,

    Try holding down the CTRL key when you click on New ->
    Question. A popup blocker on your computer may be preventing
    the window from being displayed.

    Nepatsfan

    YEs, from my limited experience that could be it. Perhaps I can turn off the
    PO blocker while in the process under discussion. Many thanks.
    --
    Thanks, Ajimmo

    "Nepatsfan" wrote:

    > ajimmo wrote:
    > > Sorry to use this process but how can I post a question. I
    > > almost never(only once in multiple tries) get a blank
    > > window. I need to ask how I can preserve dates in copying
    > > back my files from a CD after a hard drive replacement.
    > > That's two questions! Looking forward to the answer(s).
    > > Many thanks,
    > >
    > Try holding down the CTRL key when you click on New ->
    > Question. A popup blocker on your computer may be preventing
    > the window from being displayed.
    >
    > Nepatsfan

    Dear HO: 1) I'm way behind you but will try the multiple hits, 2) What would
    be the address line in Outlook Express? 3)I've already burned the CD, last
    year, and the dates of creation were still in place. In an effort today to
    rebuild files on the HD, I copied some. Whatever I did I did differently in
    two evetns as one group copied carried their initial creation dates and the
    other showed as today's date. Any ideas? And thanks again.
    --
    Thanks, Ajimmo

    "Harry Ohrn" wrote:

    > Using the web based newsgroup is a PITA at times. After you are logged on
    > you may have to repeatedly keep clicking the "New" button to get the window
    > to open so you can start a new thread. I much prefer using Outlook Express
    > over the web based service.
    >
    > To retain the original file dates I believe you will need to either zip your
    > files before burning them to CD or use third party software like Nero. Nero
    > has a setting for retaining the original date prior to burning to disc.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "ajimmo" <ajimmo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Sorry to use this process but how can I post a question. I almost
    > never(only
    > > once in multiple tries) get a blank window. I need to ask how I can
    > preserve
    > > dates in copying back my files from a CD after a hard drive replacement.
    > > That's two questions! Looking forward to the answer(s). Many thanks,
    > > --
    > > Thanks, Ajimmo
    > >

    > > "Al W" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I need to completely clean a hard disk on a PC desktop. The desktop
    > > > originally had ME installed, and was upgraded to XP Home edition. Once I
    > have
    > > > the hard disk cleared I am assuming that I need to use a startup disk
    > for ME;
    > > > install ME and then upgrade to XP Home edition. I have the original
    > > > installation cd's (ME & XP) that came with the desktop; however, I do
    > not
    > > > have a startup floppy for ME. Also, the ME files that were saved to the
    > hard
    > > > drive when the upgrade was done have been erased.
    > > > Is there a way of meeting my goal of re-installing XP Home other than as
    > > > have described?
    > > > --
    > > > Al W

    will open the group in OE.

    "ajimmo" <ajimmo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:684C06E9-CD86-4017-8339-6D73521D99F8@microsoft.com...
    > Dear HO: 1) I'm way behind you but will try the multiple hits, 2) What would
    > be the address line in Outlook Express? 3)I've already burned the CD, last
    > year, and the dates of creation were still in place. In an effort today to
    > rebuild files on the HD, I copied some. Whatever I did I did differently in
    > two evetns as one group copied carried their initial creation dates and the
    > other showed as today's date. Any ideas? And thanks again.
    > --
    > Thanks, Ajimmo
    >

    > "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
    >
    >> Using the web based newsgroup is a PITA at times. After you are logged on
    >> you may have to repeatedly keep clicking the "New" button to get the window
    >> to open so you can start a new thread. I much prefer using Outlook Express
    >> over the web based service.
    >>
    >> To retain the original file dates I believe you will need to either zip your
    >> files before burning them to CD or use third party software like Nero. Nero
    >> has a setting for retaining the original date prior to burning to disc.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    >> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >>

    >> "ajimmo" <ajimmo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Sorry to use this process but how can I post a question. I almost
    >> never(only
    >> > once in multiple tries) get a blank window. I need to ask how I can
    >> preserve
    >> > dates in copying back my files from a CD after a hard drive replacement.
    >> > That's two questions! Looking forward to the answer(s). Many thanks,
    >> > --
    >> > Thanks, Ajimmo

    >> have
    >> for ME;