Anyone know of any free download boosters.My cable modem is slow

fbm211

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
HI everyone.I am getting pretty slow downloads for a cable modem I think.I used to have dsl years ago and had downloaded a free program and my download went from 40k/sec to 180k/sec.I just got broadband again through my cable provider and want to get a FREE program to do the same for it.But I cant seem to find any.(I have the 512x512 plan.)Pc pitstop rated my bandwith poor.Any one know of anything that would help??I read that xp is not optimized for broadband.

sturm

Splendid
Are you using a router? If so hook the pc directly to the cable modem and redo the speed tests. If they are still slow then you need to contact your provider and have them check the signal strength on the line.
As for the free program I don't know of or need them as I routinely get 2 to 3 MB/s down loads on my line.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
The only thing you could try is increasing the MTU size to 1500, but that's usually the default... so I don't think it will help much. As for download boosters... all they do is try to use caching and packet shaping, but the results are poor unless the same boosting software is being used to shape packets or data at both ends.

I'd just do as sturm suggested and have your signal strength tested or boosted. It could be something as simple as a bad cable or you needing a booster because you've got too many lines in your house. (Also, most "boosting" programs are actually spyware, so I wouldn't try going that route)