Login problem after changing HKLM\\SYSTEM\\MountedDevices.. pls help

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirrel_001

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Hi,
Please help me... It has tuned to an emergency issue...

At first the naming of \DosDevices\C: and \DosDevices\D: at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\MountedDevices in the registry was swapped. After that the drive letters changed (as viewed from ‘My Computer’) but during login in the system via telnet the prompt was showing D:\WINNT\Profiles\Administrator> instead of C:\WINNT\Profiles\Administrator>. Seeing this I reverted back the naming of \DosDevices\C: and \DosDevices\D: at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\MountedDevices. but after that during login in the system via telnet the prompt was showing G:\WINNT\Profiles\Administrator and at ‘My Computer’ G: was showing to have the disk of C: (disk label and size of C:). Then I renamed \DosDevices\G with \DosDevices\C. After that the login problem arose. As soon as I login, the windows show applying your settings, saving your settings and logs off automatically without logging in. I can't even login in safe mood.

Please help me.

jimojimo

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I know this is late but it's absolutely NOT the harddrive. When you boot up, you may be booting from the drive you think is D:, but mounteddevices has the serial # of the other device. I learned this the hard way from cloning drives--when you clone a drive this happens and you've got to do telnet or user remote-registry and swap them.

But your hard drive is fine.

You have provided no solution much less made any sense at all with this drivvle you learned from cloning hard drives. Serial #'s involved in the solution? Hardly. My suggestion is more in line with providing a fix for OP's uhmmmmmmm problem. Try formatting., partitioning and installing a new hard drive. Or do so with a hard drive you already have.

uvlite

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
well dear badge, reformatting the harddrive is the simple and tedious solution for people who don't know what they are doing. I read this all over the internet how many times people reformat their systems and
I am impressed how much time must get wasted with the most stupid activity there is in the IT world - reinstalling. And frankly I am tired to read this fairly useless advice so many times.

I am running an XP system since 3 machine generations just because I cannot be bothered to reinstall the 100s of apps I installed on there. OK, I do have to wait 20 secs longer at bootup but there ARE options to reinstalling everything when something is wrong... namely fixing the system.
And I use registry cleaners and editors and all kind of little utilities to fix it. And I also waste time to do it.... but how much time it would cost to reinstall everything?

so jimojimo is absolutely right.
you can swap the binary data connected to the entry in the mounted devices \DosDevices\C: with the data of the drive you cloned it to and it will work.
If done it many times according to

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188
or
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_copy_a_Windows_installation

so badge you go ahead and reformat as many times you want. just dont tell everyone to waste his time as well.
UV

Status
Not open for further replies.