Types of OTA HDTV Broadcasts?

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 24, 2005 10:53:07 PM

Could someone please list, perhaps from lowest to hightest quality, the
official names or types of HDTV broadcasts? For example, I receive HDTV OTA
brodcasts from Washington D.C. stations. Here's how I would describe them
from least quality to best. Thanks,

1) 3:4 screen ratio, low quality HDTV picture
2) 16:19 full screen but low quality HDTV picture
3) 3:4 screen ratio, 720p, good quality HDTV picture
3) 16:9 ratio full screen, 720p, good quality HDTV picture
4) 16:9 ratio full screen, 1080i, good quality HDTV picture
5) 16:9 ratio full screen, 1080i, super quality HDTV picture

Rick
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:53:08 PM

Rickk wrote:
> Could someone please list, perhaps from lowest to hightest quality,
> the official names or types of HDTV broadcasts? For example, I
> receive HDTV OTA brodcasts from Washington D.C. stations. Here's how
> I would describe them from least quality to best. Thanks,

Let me see if I can clarify it a little for you. Someone posted a link as
well, and it should be good reading. Not all digital broadcasts are HDTV.
Many are standard definition (480i).

> 1) 3:4 screen ratio, low quality HDTV picture

4:3 Standard definition digital broadcast. Is not HDTV, only DTV

> 2) 16:19 full screen but low quality HDTV picture

16:9 stretched or zoomed standard definition broadcast, not HDTV, only DTV

> 3) 3:4 screen ratio, 720p, good quality HDTV picture

4:3 720P HD broadcast of a standard definition source material

> 3) 16:9 ratio full screen, 720p, good quality HDTV picture

OK

> 4) 16:9 ratio full screen, 1080i, good quality HDTV picture
> 5) 16:9 ratio full screen, 1080i, super quality HDTV picture

4 and 5 are the same thing. The perception of quality can be due to the
type of output you are watching. An example would be that some films have
granular effects on purpose.

> Rick
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:53:08 PM

"Rickk" <Rickk@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Could someone please list, perhaps from lowest to hightest quality, the
> official names or types of HDTV broadcasts? For example, I receive HDTV
> OTA brodcasts from Washington D.C. stations. Here's how I would describe
> them from least quality to best. Thanks,
>
> 1) 3:4 screen ratio, low quality HDTV picture <<<<<upconverted...not
> HDTV
> 2) 16:19 full screen but low quality HDTV picture <<<<<????not sure
> 3) 3:4 screen ratio, 720p, good quality HDTV picture <<<<<<<<no such
> thing. It is not HD.
> 3) 16:9 ratio full screen, 720p, good quality HDTV picture
> 4) 16:9 ratio full screen, 1080i, good quality HDTV picture
> 5) 16:9 ratio full screen, 1080i, super quality HDTV picture
>
> Rick

Related resources
February 24, 2005 11:03:53 PM

You really don't have a clue, do you?! go to
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_...
and spend a coupla hours learning what digital tv is all about.

"Rickk" <Rickk@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Could someone please list, perhaps from lowest to hightest quality, the
> official names or types of HDTV broadcasts? For example, I receive HDTV
> OTA brodcasts from Washington D.C. stations. Here's how I would describe
> them from least quality to best. Thanks,
>
> 1) 3:4 screen ratio, low quality HDTV picture
> 2) 16:19 full screen but low quality HDTV picture
> 3) 3:4 screen ratio, 720p, good quality HDTV picture
> 3) 16:9 ratio full screen, 720p, good quality HDTV picture
> 4) 16:9 ratio full screen, 1080i, good quality HDTV picture
> 5) 16:9 ratio full screen, 1080i, super quality HDTV picture
>
> Rick

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 12:53:15 PM

Thanks for the information. I'll read up on it.

Rick

"Rickk" <Rickk@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Could someone please list, perhaps from lowest to hightest quality, the
> official names or types of HDTV broadcasts? For example, I receive HDTV
> OTA brodcasts from Washington D.C. stations. Here's how I would describe
> them from least quality to best. Thanks,
>
> 1) 3:4 screen ratio, low quality HDTV picture
> 2) 16:19 full screen but low quality HDTV picture
> 3) 3:4 screen ratio, 720p, good quality HDTV picture
> 3) 16:9 ratio full screen, 720p, good quality HDTV picture
> 4) 16:9 ratio full screen, 1080i, good quality HDTV picture
> 5) 16:9 ratio full screen, 1080i, super quality HDTV picture
>
> Rick

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:35:13 PM

Rickk wrote:

> Thanks for the information. I'll read up on it.
>
> Rick
>
> "Rickk" <Rickk@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>Could someone please list, perhaps from lowest to hightest quality, the
>>official names or types of HDTV broadcasts? For example, I receive HDTV
>>OTA brodcasts from Washington D.C. stations. Here's how I would describe
>>them from least quality to best. Thanks,
>>
>>1) 3:4 screen ratio, low quality HDTV picture
>>2) 16:19 full screen but low quality HDTV picture
>>3) 3:4 screen ratio, 720p, good quality HDTV picture
>>3) 16:9 ratio full screen, 720p, good quality HDTV picture
>>4) 16:9 ratio full screen, 1080i, good quality HDTV picture
>>5) 16:9 ratio full screen, 1080i, super quality HDTV picture
>>
>>Rick

You'll also discover that some 1080i channels appear better than others
like Discovery HD, InHD, InHD2, and HBOHD. I'd guess that they use
those "IMAX cameras" and are much, much better than the others.

WETAHD is probably one of the worst 1080i broadcasts out there, though.

-Naz
February 28, 2005 11:12:07 PM

What is the ratio when you get full (widescreen) but only the middle 2/3's
of your screen. Pay for view from Dish last night.

!