Graphics Memory Help

Hi All:

The system is an HP Pavilion tower with XP Pro, 60gbyte hard drive and
384 mbyte of RAM. I run MS Flight Simulator, which would work better
if I could increase the 32-mbyte assigned to the onboard Intel 82810e
graphics controller: Can this be done, and if so, can someone tell me
how to do it?

I tried to add a new 128 mbyte graphics card...it went on thru the some
of the logos, but the screen went black before we got to Desktop.
Thought I'd try pumping up the onboard controller before going all out
with this...

Thanks in advance,
Garry (info@jetcoder.com)

--
garry2005
3 answers Last reply

    "If I could increase the 32-mbyte assigned to the onboard Intel 82810e
    graphics controller."
    Don't think so, it's hardware that shares CPU cycles to render video.
    That's why a dedicated video card is better than onboard video.
    You must disable your onboard video in the bios before you boot with
    the added video card, otherwise your computer will get confused.
    Have the latest drivers downloaded and ready for the new card.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Treeman wrote:

    > "If I could increase the 32-mbyte assigned to the onboard Intel 82810e
    > graphics controller."
    > Don't think so, it's hardware that shares CPU cycles to render video.
    > That's why a dedicated video card is better than onboard video.
    > You must disable your onboard video in the bios before you boot with
    > the added video card, otherwise your computer will get confused.
    > Have the latest drivers downloaded and ready for the new card.
    > Best,
    > Treeman

    While it is certainly true that it would be good for the OP to install
    an add-in video card, the computer will not get confused if the onboard
    chip isn't disabled in the BIOS. This is good advice for sound cards,
    but unnecessary for video cards.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Yo Malke,
    Your right. But the OP states that he has a HP Pavilion Tower, which
    doesn't give us much to go on as far as what mobo is inside.
    I think this is one of the many times where a person was happy with the
    low price of the computer, as well as the "Intel Inside" logo. Only to
    find out down the road that the computer's capabilties are very
    limited.
    Anyhow, this is what Intel has to say about his integrated video
    chipset;

    Some Intel® 810 chipset-based motherboards have a way to disable the
    onboard graphics in the system BIOS, however many do not. Most
    motherboards do have a BIOS setting to change the primary graphics
    adapter to the PCI video card, which should allow PCI video cards to
    work properly. This will not disable the integrated graphics adapter,
    instead, it will set it to work as the secondary adapter for
    multi-monitor support. If you do not wish to use multi monitor, the
    Intel 810 chipset graphics driver can be disabled (in software) in
    Device Manager. You should be able to disable the integrated graphics
    in Device Manager by doing the following:
    Right-click on the icon for the Intel® 810 chipset graphics adapter,
    then click properties.
    Uncheck the item that says "Exists in all hardware profiles"
    Reboot.
    Intel 810 chipset display adapter.
    Click the checkbox for the item that says "Disabled in this hardware
    profile."
    If that doesn't work, try changing the Intel® 810 chipset graphics
    driver to the Standard VGA driver. If the primary display adapter is
    set to PCI in the system BIOS, the integrated graphics should
    automatically show up as disabled in Device Manager after rebooting.
    'Intel® 82810 Graphics Controller'
    (http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel810/sb/cs-009136.htm)
    Best,
    Treeman